Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting becoming more popular
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Jan 02, 07 9:54 am     Reply with quote

splaterwin wrote:
Innovation needs to happen for any sport to evolve. Some pioneers of this sport may want to keep gear old school but this limits fresh blood and fresh blood is what drives this industry. Areas to kite are shrinking with over use. A different way to launch and land is necessary. This would allow better use of current spots and allow accomplish kiters a way to utilize new locations.

yes, there are going to be kinks to work out with any type of new invention - however, the kinks CAN be worked out! And if this bar (or any other invention for that matter) can make more areas accesible to kiteboarding then I am all for it!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jan 10, 07 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Not that I want kiteboarding to become more popular or anything. But it seems to me that if the KB manufacturers were truely concerned about growing the industry then they would make the gear cheaper!! I mean, WTF people, the hike up on this stuff has to be outrageous. You want to know why there are snowboards in closets? Cause you can buy a new snowboard for $100. I still can't for the life of me figure out why a production laminate board with hyper simplistic bindings is worth $600+. Yeah, resin is expensive, but not when your buying it in 50 gallon drums.

Don't even get me started about a bunch of chinese laborers sewing up huge pieces of nylon, shipping them over here in containers and selling them for $1,500.

I guess its no big deal, I just feel like ranting on a rainy morning. In some ways I like that KB is soo expensive. Sometimes people ask me about kiteboarding and my repply is "its expensive, time consuming, and dangerous...but addictive".

Smile

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostWed Jan 10, 07 11:50 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes people ask me about kiteboarding and my reply is "It's expensive, time consuming, and dangerous...but addictive".

Kind of like cocaine...

Table 2 - Cocaine Cycle.jpg 

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostWed Jan 10, 07 2:35 pm     Reply with quote

so thats what you learn at college, sweet!

Eat/Shit/Kite

Since 02 Apr 2006
8 Posts
ON THE WATER
Kook

PostWed Jan 10, 07 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Nate dogg for the economics lesson. Here it is for the kite cocane industry:

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

Don't even get me started about a bunch of chinese laborers sewing up huge pieces of nylon, shipping them over here in containers and selling them for $1,500.

I am glad you think kites are cheap because they are made out of inexpensive materials. One must consider the countless hours of R&D, Pattents, royalties, Marketing, Sales, dealer network etc all geared to satisify really picky customers. Not to mention factories and Labor in China ans shipping aren't as cheap as you think.

Why are Nike shoes so expensive. Have you ever seen the campus in Beavertown? Think about it...

I'd say go start your own kite company and see how much you can sell a kite for. Idea

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jan 10, 07 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

it's all about volume... Thumb's Up

scott norby had some great insights...

anyway I think kiting is cheap enough these days (that is to say there are cheap options out there for folks), its still more about time commitment than anything else (again norby's point is truth.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: