Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Looking for recommendations . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostSat Sep 19, 15 8:32 am    Looking for recommendations . . . Reply with quote

I'm moving over to 2015 Cab Switchblades for a little variety.

Sold my 7m + 9M RPMs, and will sell my 12m Airush Lithium this weekend.

Recently purchased 6m, 8m, + 10m 2015 SBs, but I'm not sure which kite should fill the 12m/13m slot.

Considerations:
170 lbs
Want to use my existing SS Compstick(s)
Generally have not liked ponderous, grunty big kites
Most riding is in the Gorge, not on the Coast
Usually riding a TT (straps)
Always looking for lofty, controlled jumps
Not much for freestyle or kickers
Probably want a 2015 model with light use
Liked the 12m 2012 3-strut Lithium
Liked the 12m 2012 SS Rally
Not much passion for the 2011 12m RPM

Thinking about a Contra, but have never flown one.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 19, 15 8:47 am     Reply with quote

I love my 12 SB. Not too slow for me, enough power for almost all kiteable gorge winds. I'm also 170. I found a 14 SB to be too slow and heavy for my weight - if the wind is light enough to need a 14 SB it usually falls out of the sky in the lulls too easily for me in the gorge.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 19, 15 10:40 am     Reply with quote

14M Switchblade is a "big boy" 12M kite. For any 5 strut "built like a truck" LEI kite, 12M would be the biggest size i would choose.

Any larger, I would go with less struts and/or lighter constructed kite. The larger Core kites come in Light Wind versions.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostSat Sep 19, 15 10:50 am     Reply with quote

You have SS Compstick bars, might make a lot of sense to go with 12M Rally. It has huge range, I ride my 12M Rally from 12mph to 25mph. Rally is less "grunty" than RPM and so fun/easy to fly, great for just about everything hooked in.

Sounds like you have flown at least 2012 Rally. I've owned and ridden all Rally years 2102 - 2016 and like them all! There are subtle differences year to year, 2015's and 2016's are great. 2016 Rally's just came out recently, I've seen some deals starting to show up on new 2015 Rally's on closeout.

I have Rally's, RPM's and Wave SST's. For me, Rally would be my one kite if I had to ride just one kite - and that is across all kites manufacturers.

kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Sep 19, 15 11:01 am     Reply with quote

My 12M 2015 SW is one of my favorite kites. It seems to turn quick enough and I think it's pretty powerful compared to 14s and bigger kites that are out there at the same time. Just my opinion I've only been kiting 3 years.

I don't know what the reference of Cabrinha kites being "grunty" even means. Does that mean they are more powerful, or that they make a an animal like noise?

I have a 10M 2012 Crossbow that is another favorite because it seems to handle gusts and a wide range of wind very well, without shooting out the front or stalling. very stable but at the same time that thing really wants to fly and turns quickly.

I can't tell a huge difference between kite brands, but I don't have a lot of experience on other kites. I tried an 8 Best one day and thought it did not turn easily, more of a park it kite. I tried a 7 Core and it was like flying a paper airplane compared to my Switchblade 7, that felt much more solid and more powerful.

But the only thing I can say with certainty is that I like the easy Cabrinha power / depower system. But I want to get the newer quick release that just opens the chicken loop for the final release instead of the really weird final release of the lines I have now, that is a bitch to get back in place, impossible to reconnect in the water, and sometimes gets caught on itself and does not release (so I've heard, but I could see that)... both issues seem dangerous to me. I'm not sure how other systems release, probably a similar way. The chicken loop opening seems to be the easiest to reattach in the water, and a totally reliable release even if a kite were looping. I think that's on the 2015 systems.

westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostSun Sep 20, 15 7:19 am    Good suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your taking the time to get these ideas on the table.

I shipped my 12m Lithium yesterday, so I'm officially in the hunt for its replacement.

westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostSun Sep 20, 15 7:33 am    "Grunty" = high torque + low speed Reply with quote

GRUNTY
Sumo wrestlers
Dump trucks
Pterodactyls
NFL guards
Tug boats

NOT GRUNTY
Supermodels
Solar-powered airplanes
Butterflies
Kenyan marathon runners
One-man racing shells

kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Sep 20, 15 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

Oh man that's funny!

Go Sumo!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: