Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice on winding lines when attached to the kite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Sep 09, 15 6:04 am    Advice on winding lines when attached to the kite Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good method for winding/unwinding lines when the lines are attached to the kite? Mine are chronically wrong when I unroll. Thanks!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 09, 15 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

from http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-37391.html

Cannon wrote:
I bet there is a 50/50 success that the lines won't be crossed after unwinding, me included. I took Nat's advice from a recent post and wind the lines to the side of the kite and been 100% since. Thanks! Very Happy

You make a great observation. There is definitely a knack for not rolling your lines when you roll up your bar. These are some of the things I think about:

1) keep all lines together when turning over a kite (do not let some of the lines go over the kite while others go under)

2) Do not let your bar roll through your lines while carrying your kite. In the video I hooked into my bar before carrying my kite. Some may feel this is unsafe however I feel comfortable that I can release my safetys quick enough if required (for example if I tripped and dropped my kite).

3) Do not walk through your lines. This could happen if you are holding your bar while turning the kite over and you accidentally walk through your upper line.

4) When rolling up your lines, continuously hang onto the bar in the center of the bar with your hand holding part of the chicken loop... Or better yet, hook into your bar. It is important that none of the lines slip off the back side of the bar and cross over your chicken loop.

5) When placing your bar down on the ground (after rolling up your lines), extend out your chicken loop so there is no question regarding the proper way to pick up the bar when you come back.

All this being said, I hot wrap my bar (keep my bar attached to my kite while packing it up) on a regular basis and have an extremely high success rate (probably around 97%). I have been doing this for probably 3 or more years through 100's of kite sessions.

It comes down to developing a repeatable pattern and paying attention.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 09, 15 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

If hot wrapping a kite (keeping lines attached while packing up your kite) I have some more suggestions:

NOTICE:
I use 4 line slingshot bars. Each of the two center (front) lines pass directly from the bar all the way to the kite. This method will not work with some bars.!!!

The Wrapping Process:

1) When wrapping up my bar I come in from the back of the kite.

2) I leave enough slack in my lines such that I will be able to extend the Donkey D up to my intake valve without putting tension on my lines.

3) I add multiple half hitch loops on my bar to fine tune the tension described in line item 2.

4) *** IMPORTANT *** When passing the bar through your lines from the back of your kite you must pass the bar UNDER your lines (two lines on each side). Everybody always makes the mistake of passing over your lines which rolls your bar.

5)Secure your bar to your kite by jamming your Donkey D into the valve cover of your intake valve.

6) When rolling up your kite, take care to keep your lines on the inside of your rolling process (Do not let your lines float around the back side of your kite)

7) Before folding up your kite (so it will fit in your bag) extend your bar out over the front portion of your kite (so it is half sticking out the front). It is important not to fold your kite too tight against your bar as you can rip your kite.

The Unwrapping process:

1) Lay your kite out as normal with the leading edge into the wind and the kite on it's back.

2) *** Important *** confirm that all 4 of your lines lead directly from your bar the same path to your line attachments. This is where you check if your bar got turned in the transport. You may have to rotate your bar around the intake valve line to get all 4 lines leading directly back to the attachment points.

3) Unhook your Donkey D from the intake valve cover

4) Undo all the half hitch loops on your bar

5) Place your bar on the ground in front of the leading edge of your kite (next to where you will be standing while pumping your kite)

6) leave some slack in your lines so that you can turn your kite over when pumped up.

7) Extend out your chicken loop so that it doesn't accidentally roll through your lines. Also, it's easier to tell how to pick up your bar with the chicken loop extended.

8 ) Your bar is now in the proper position to be hooked into from the front of the kite.

Note: Your launcher will likely have to hold your kite with some tension as you spin your bar before launching to get your lines straight.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Sep 09, 15 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

Like stated as long as you don't let the lines unwrap behind the bar or when wrapped up you don't let the bar fall through the lines and kite - your going to be okay.

On my foil kites for snowkiting I leave the bars attached all season until it's time to put them away for the year. After a lot of sessions and line wrapping it's now just good habits and handling that keep my lines from inverting while wrapped up and still attached.

On my kiteboarding kites - same skills and habits. Don't let the lines unwrap behind the bar and don't let the bar fall through itself while attached to the kite.

Lots of different styles and techniques - but at the end of the day you will find your own way of doing.

When you unwrap - make sure to check for inversion BEFORE you hook in. Almost all inversions can be un-inverted without disconnecting the lines from the kite - takes some time to get used to doing it though.

I usually get caught when I'm nervous or not payng attention - last time was just a few weeks back at the Blowout - sigh...

www.freeridekiting.com

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Sep 10, 15 5:49 am    Lines Reply with quote

Great info - Thanks!

undem

Since 18 Feb 2011
28 Posts

PostFri Sep 11, 15 6:49 am     Reply with quote

I've been doing this for the last two years - never walk your lines again, and I'm running a fifth line.

http://youtu.be/9_FxYkg1vZc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: