Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ruthton Point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 14, 15 4:32 pm    Ruthton Point Reply with quote

Anyone go here before? Looks perfect on satellite, halfway between Viento and the Event Site.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Mar 14, 15 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

I came in there once when the wind died coming from Viento. It didn't look like any place I would want to launch from. Seems like it would be private property or business property as there's a winery there.

Here's what the bay on the west side looks like.

Makani

Since 19 Aug 2014
15 Posts

PostSat Mar 14, 15 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

Hmmm, while the point isn't private property, you have to go through 3 in order to get to the road. Also, there isn't a place to park. If you're willing to make friends with the owners there, perhaps. But even with all those considerations, I don't know if you want to launch from there. The water is pretty deep till close in. Nothing like wells. I'd rather driftlaunch from the hooks fancy new windsurf launch Smile he he he...

But if given the choice of having to climb out on the rockface, or this beach, the beach wins. It was an easy walk back to the road and easy to flag a ride.

and how dare you take a photo without my mask! Sacrilege!

3privateproperties.png 

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 14, 15 8:36 pm     Reply with quote

nice to know its an emergency option on a blown Viento downwinder. Wish we had more river access points like they have by law on the coast. Maybe someday the Cgka can buy a place like this the way the Cgwa bought Swell.

darkwingduck

Since 27 Aug 2015
1 Posts

PostThu Aug 27, 15 12:15 am     Reply with quote

Makani wrote:
Hmmm, while the point isn't private property, you have to go through 3 in order to get to the road. Also, there isn't a place to park. If you're willing to make friends with the owners there, perhaps. But even with all those considerations, I don't know if you want to launch from there. The water is pretty deep till close in. Nothing like wells. I'd rather driftlaunch from the hooks fancy new windsurf launch Smile he he he...

But if given the choice of having to climb out on the rockface, or this beach, the beach wins. It was an easy walk back to the road and easy to flag a ride.

and how dare you take a photo without my mask! Sacrilege!

You're wrong about the point not being private. EVERY parcel down there, including the beach (it is part of a large private land parcel that includes land under the river!) is private. The beach is not public land, there are several signs posted there stating it is private property as well. It isn't a good place to go.

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Aug 27, 15 6:00 am     Reply with quote

Darkwingduck, do you know the specific circumstances that would make the beach there private property? The Land Trust Doctrine specifies that "This doctrine of law provides that the State of Oregon holds submerged and submersible land in trust for the benefit of all the people. The general public has a right to fully enjoy these resources for a wide variety of public uses including navigation, commerce, recreation, and fishing. "

There are very few exception to this doctrine where the government negotiated with landowners in the 1870s along the Willamette, Umpqua, Coquille, and Coos Rivers.

Does this particular beach have such special considerations? I've seen the no trespassing signs and often wondered what the circumstances are.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 27, 15 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

I know a few years back, one lot was owned by a medical doctor in HR and another was owned by a nice hairdresser and her husband. She invited me down to try their private windsurfing launch one year, but I never made it.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 28, 15 7:13 am     Reply with quote

A friend of mine owns the entire section in discussion. The house they live in is the first home built in HR in the 1800's, of course it has been updated. I will see them Sunday and ask them about accessibility.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: