Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT:Looking for mtb advice from folks who like uphill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 17, 15 6:39 am    OT:Looking for mtb advice from folks who like uphill Reply with quote

Got back into mtb this year after a 15 year break. Good buddy suggested Trek Fuel ex29 which I bought and have loved. I took a trip to Whistler, rented DH bike and my world changed. The slack fork, suspension, perfect kickers etc inspired me to start learning how to jump, which is something I had no idea how to do, and was intimidated of, regardless. Back in Hood River I have been able to take what I learned on the amazingly forgiving DH bike and jump my fuel. That said, the trails in PCanyon don't have the perfect park features and my steeper fork angle gives me a lot less room for error.

1. I have friends who jump a lot better than I do on bikes that are far less capable. I know in the end it's technique--period.

2. I miss the confidence of a more slack fork angle when jumping.

3. I love to climb and ride up to my downhill runs

4. Not looking to send it off of advanced features. Rather, to hit the features on the xc trails and get some smallish air with speed and confidence. I'd like to play on Drop-out in PC too.

I'm looking at the Trek Slash and will contact shops about rental. Wondering though if anyone who fits my demographic has some advice for me. The Slash, for example, might give up too much xc capabilities for me. Dirty Fingers has a couple of models I'd like to try too. I'm in my 50's, and fit.

Eric

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Aug 17, 15 7:07 am     Reply with quote

Hey Eric, I am in the same boat. I stumbled on the Rocky Mountain Instinct. It has "Adjustable Geometry". I haven't played with it yet but it might be the all in one bike your looking for.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 17, 15 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Sounds like you want an all-mountain ride.

The Yeti SB5 seems like the perfect bike for PC. There is the more enduro-ier SB6 with more slack head angle, but for what you're describing the SB5 would be great. Its probably my next bike. I have a Yeti ASR7 now. Its great on the downhills but doesn't pedal up very efficiently. You can always get the Cane Creek Angleset, which allows you to change the head angle a little more.

If the Yeti is too pricey, the Trek Remedy is a proven ride with lots of models/pricepoints.

Giant makes a decent rig too. Specialized are well reputed, but I'm not a fan. Dirty Fingers has a bunch of Konas and probably some demos.

Rocky Mtn Instinct BC edition would be a sweet ride too.

Lots of options in the All-Mtn category. Don't buy into the 27.5+ thing... our trails are fine on 2.3 or 2.4" tires.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
165 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostTue Aug 18, 15 6:13 am     Reply with quote

The fuel29 should work well for most of the trails, but if you are into bigger drops then some folks go with more of a dh bike and do shuttles at post. Depending on your experience level you could start with 'middle school line, near family man and work up from there. The new kleeway trail is also good for practicing jumps and tabletops. I usually just do a one hour loop (seven streams/family man/up mouse track to top of Mitchell, then down Mitchell to 7streams. Great one hr ride on my stump jumper fsr while waiting for the wind to pick up. Post is great!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Aug 18, 15 6:50 am     Reply with quote

Upgraded my 20 yr Kona with the Giant Anthem two years ago fun XC

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/anthem.27.5.3/18754/76188/

image.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 18, 15 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Did a day of demos and fell in love with the Intense Tracer 275C.

I upgraded the fork to one that shortens for uphill with a simple dial turn, then back to 6" for DH. Super playful bike in the 27.5". It does not climb like my Fuel 29er, but so much more fun to jump and DH. It just absorbs everything on Mitchell Ridge. So fun! The other contender was the Trek Slash. The slash was perhaps slightly more plush on the DH and tracked a bit better in banked turns, but not as nimble of a jumper, nor in tight uphill turns compared to the Tracer.

Mt View was just awesome. They set me up with as many bikes as I wanted and let me rotate through them all, including the owner sending out on his personal top of the line bike that had a build worth more than my car.

I may keep my Fuel for Bend area style single track which in my view is 29er heaven.

I came to the following conclusions for my style, and skill set for where I ride 90% of the time:

1. Post Canyon favors 27.5 over 29 if climbing single track is part of the ride and you like to try and "make" everything in the tighter sections.
2. Enduro style bikes are much better DHer's than XC style, but you absolutely give up some uphill speed and efficiency.
3. You can get a part, but by no means all, of that uphill efficiency back with some fork tech.
4. If you're good enough anything works everywhere. That said, the classes of bikes really are different and excel in specific areas, but there will be a penalty somewhere else

To quote a friend, the ideal quiver of bikes is always "X plus 1..."

Eric

kitegrrrl

Since 22 Mar 2006
31 Posts

PostTue Aug 18, 15 7:07 am    Rocky Mountain instinct Reply with quote

I picked up an Instinct a few months ago and love it. The adjustable geometry makes a noticeable difference. It climbs great and is the best all around bike I have owned. It held its own riding the chairlifts at Stevens pass and is keeps climbing fun.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 11:19 am     Reply with quote

You can go retro as well. I have been riding a Klein Pinnacle since around 1987. The first one was stolen around 1988, full replacement with renters insurance. Then I rode the next one so much the down tube fatigued and broke, aluminum only has so many bend cycles, Lifetime Warranty so Klein gave me a new one. Next time Trek will have to give me a replacement frame. Around 1996 it got damaged, superficially, in a garage fire. The insurance company totaled it I bought it back from them for dirt cheap and gave her some needed upgrades with the insurance money and that's how she currently sits. The freewheel finally gave out about 6 months ago and the bike shop told me they could'nt get parts for my hub anymore so I contacted Chris King and they said they could put the new guts in my old shell. I also needed a 8 speed XTR cassette found one on Ebay NOS, new on shelf, and realized retro bikes from the 90's is a thing. If anybody needs elastomers for your old forks I know where to get'em. I also found some sweeet new, not NOS, Panaracer Smoke and Dart tires. I should have her reassembled in about 2 weeks. I will post a pic just because I like bragging on my old bike so much Wink She is dear old friend to me at this point.

Cook Brothers Cranks
Chris King headset and rear hub
Mavic cartridge bearing front hub
Avenir rims
97 Manitou SX Ti
Interloc stem
Titanium bar
Grip shift
Avid brake levers
Onza bar ends
Suntour XC front derailleur, pedals
XTR brakes, rear derailleur, cassette
Panaracer Smoke and Dart tires

Still "Way Fast" as we said back in the day.

If you don't ride it up the hill it's not a Mountain Bike Wink

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

quenyaistar wrote:
You can go retro as well.

If you don't ride it up the hill it's not a Mountain Bike Wink

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'd love to see pics of your oldschool rebuilt bike - It's so easy to get caught up in needing the latest 27.5, slack head tube, 1x11 6 inch travel $6k bike. The bikes from 10 or 20 years ago are still very trail worthy and you can have just as much fun. It also requires more skill to ride an older bike where you actually have to pick a line rather than just use momentum and suspension travel to ride over every obstacle.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

right on, glad you found a rig that makes you happy and you didn't get overwhelmed with all the choices! see you on the trails!

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 7:49 pm     Reply with quote

Eric, and in the winter, The Lumberyard is a great way to get better at jumping. Every loop of the blue line you get 7 jumps and 1 drop. Its surprisingly addictive and a great workout. They even have a bike for teaching manuals. I'm getting a season pass again in October. This winter: tailwhips and tabletops

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 18, 15 9:51 pm     Reply with quote

^^^^

Whoa. That's super cool. Just emailed them. Thanks much for the suggestion! Can I use my own trail bike or does one need to rent their smaller trick bikes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: