Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Is their good wind on the big island and m-80 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostTue Jan 02, 07 8:40 pm    Is their good wind on the big island and m-80 question Reply with quote

I am moving to the big island and I was curious if their was good wind their too. I just hear of all this Maui talk and just wanted to know. And do you all think that the LF m-80 is a good beginner kite. Thanks for your time all, mack

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jan 03, 07 7:46 am     Reply with quote

Hi Mackalaroo - congrats on the move to Hawaii - we were there in March and had decent wind a couple of days. I don't think wind is a problem generally, but finding a safe launch/ land area was a real challenge.
A-bay was so crowded with beachgoers, sailboats, kayaks, etc. that it would've been crazy to try on that day. I'm sure once you hook up with the local crew, you'll be keyed into the "secret" launch spots. Very Happy

Check the big island kite forum - www.bigislandkite.com
(site appears to be down, hopefully just temporary)

Keep in touch and post pictures once you're there please! Very Happy

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostWed Jan 03, 07 11:45 am     Reply with quote

M80 is a great kite for low level tricks....and works great for learning because it is low aspect and forgiving in the gusts.
I have ridden a 12 meter m80 in 12mp with a surfboard and up to 30 mph with a twin tip. It is a really predictable and smooth kite.
Because it is short and fat it has a lot of depower when you let the bar out. Yet it still flies great with no power in it. It doesn't grunt when it pulls...it is a smooth pull when it is hit by a gust.

The M80 does not boost well though. If you are looking to jump high it is not meant for that. It is amazing for riding in surf, chop, gusts, and low level wake tricks...but it is not a high aspect/high lift wing for jumping high. This also makes it good for a beginner since it won't tend to lift you out of the water unexpectedly.

I have a 5,7,9,12,16,20 and love them all.
The menace is LF's higher aspect kite that gives you the boost if you want lift. I have a couple of those too but I like riding a surfboard and higher aspect kites are not as fun in that situation.....for me.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed Jan 03, 07 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice on the m-80 , I will have tp pick one up. Do you know anything abot the winds on the big island. It is an island so I would imagine it's all good. What do you think about the waroo as a beginner kite. ThAnks yo

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed Jan 03, 07 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the big island. I hear you on the finding a launch area, since most of the ocean front isnt reachable. I am way stoked on the move, I will deal w/ it .I live in CO but the true love is up in the NW, thanks

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostFri Jan 05, 07 10:17 pm     Reply with quote

i have a quiver of m80 for sale 7, 9, 12
great condition,and prices
pm me if interested

as long as you are on the e to ne side of the island you are good to go for trades

for konas you'll want to be on the sw facing areas, but they are usually jan- apr

i don't know of any good beginner spots

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostSat Jan 06, 07 10:13 am    Question wakeup Reply with quote

Thanks yo, I will be moving up to waimea nw side of the big island and I have only flown trainers and from the looks of it their is no lessons available their. I live in durango CO and I wanted to get into back in the day but I choose whitewater kayaking instead. I think they might offer snowkiting lessons here though. I hear that is easier but do you think it will get me ready to launch in some knarly spots? Since you said that the big island isn't beginner friendly? well thanks for your time, mack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: