Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

inland landboarding sites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jjoyce

Since 26 Aug 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostSat Jul 25, 15 3:15 pm    inland landboarding sites Reply with quote

hey all -

i'm wondering if anyone knows any good inland landboarding spots (mountainboard & kite) in WA & OR?
i have been to the WA coast at ocean shores which is nice. with a sideshore wind (& cars) the hard packed area is not too wide (even at lowest tide). pictures of grayland look like it is wider?

i was also hoping for some info on some flat plains, soccer complexes, dry lake beds, etc that get a reliable (or at least predictable) wind...
i hear chambers bay in tacoma can work, but not sure how to predict it (or which sensors to track).

there are a few places up in seattle that work from time to time (magnusson, west seattle reservoir, marymoor) but not a ton

thanks for any tips
jjoyce

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostSun Jul 26, 15 12:02 am    Long Beach... Reply with quote

Keep going...Just a bit more South!

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSun Jul 26, 15 5:40 am     Reply with quote

Often I fly and ride the buggy at Rufus until the wind is up enough to hit the water. Rufus isn't ideal it's just fun with the rock piles.

While I have yet to go there and check it out myself. Alvord (Lakebed) Desert appears to be an ideal spot in the fall if you have the time.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/CL4QEpBgSms

www.freeridekiting.com

jjoyce

Since 26 Aug 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostSun Jul 26, 15 10:39 am     Reply with quote

thanks for the tips
i have that place (alvord desert) bookmarked to go check out some time ... it's unfortunately 500 miles from me

i was wondering if there's anything on the east cascades or some magical flat, unused field that gets predictable or reliable winds... maybe one of these sod farms in central washington that abuts the cascade foothills.
in the midwest there were more random polo fields with tons of flat, groomed grass to drool over. apparently not as popular around here

i'll do more exploring along the coast, though. just got finished de-sanding the bearings on the mountainboard from the last trip

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed Jul 29, 15 8:08 pm    Re: Long Beach... Reply with quote

CrazyHerb wrote:
Keep going...Just a bit more South!

Yeah sunset beach is awesome for landboarding, can't wait to get back there. I also want to get over to Alvord and check it out. central oregon has squat

jjoyce

Since 26 Aug 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 31, 15 10:18 am     Reply with quote

has anyone tried in Ellensburg, WA?

it looks like it has had wind from the NW every day for the past few weeks...

there are tons of sod farms out there (by google earth, anyway) - just wondering if anyone has ever approached a land owner about using their fields for flying.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: