Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snowkite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mocorroco

Since 02 Jul 2006
30 Posts
Omaha NE

PostTue Jan 02, 07 7:45 pm    Snowkite Reply with quote

I want to start snowkiting. I have a 9m Yarga and some other bigger kites. Is the 9m Yarga to big for snowkiting?. Should I get a foilkite instead?. Thanks

WOLVER1NE

Since 17 Apr 2006
2 Posts
Tapps Island, WA

PostTue Jan 02, 07 10:36 pm     Reply with quote

My brother lives in MN and goes snow kiting all the time. He has a 20m that he uses on the frozen lakes. I think he said he uses that for up to 20-30 winds??? The amount of drag the board has against the snow is more than the amount required through water. (increases with the snow depth) plus take into account you might be going uphill if you are on a slope instead of a flat patch. If you are on flat ice without snow (like we were over christmas) not to much drag on that!!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jan 02, 07 11:48 pm     Reply with quote

20m in 20-30? That doesn't sound right... and either does the amount of drag. Water vs. snow? Small board (kiteboard) vs. big board (snowboard)? Hmmm

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Jan 02, 07 11:50 pm     Reply with quote

That 9m will probably do you just fine in the right wind... Might want to figure out something for relaunch though if you already don't have a 5th line setup. That's when ATL on the SS kites is nice.

Chris B

Since 25 Sep 2006
7 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jan 03, 07 7:08 am     Reply with quote

I’m the guy from MN. I just read my brothers post and just wanted to clarify. It’s a 17.5 machine and in great conditions I will ride it up until 20 mph. With snowkiting it really depends on the surface and the temperature. There is a huge difference between black ice and dust on crust. To give wind speeds for kitting on snow is tough. As a general rule if your skis or snowboard will get a good edge rig one size smaller than you would in the summer. If you’re on black ice with hockey skates rig small because it’s tough to stop when you’re on your ass.

I use the 17.5 machine more than any other kite for snowkiting in MN.

17.5 machine 8-20 mph
13 Fuel 15-25 mph
9 Fuel 20-30+
7 Fuel (lit on snow gets gnarly)

Chris B

Since 25 Sep 2006
7 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jan 03, 07 7:22 am     Reply with quote

An SS ATL or fifth line is a must on snow. The kite will not roll on its back, it will just slide around. The fifth line can be tied to the leading edge or the tailpipe of the struts. If you tie it to the tailpipe it will reverse launch the kite.

I have used the SS ATL and the fifth line. Both work great and each has there advantages. The ATL will get the kite off the snow faster thus reducing the amount of wear to the leading edge. But you get more adjustment from a fifth line.

Chris B

Since 25 Sep 2006
7 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jan 03, 07 9:35 am     Reply with quote

Yes you are correct Kataku2k3, he wrote that backwards. You can get going in snow on a very small kite but as you get better you can handle as much power as you would in the summer depending on the surface texture. As the snow gets deeper or sticky you will need a bigger kite.

I almost forgot about ice-screws! When on a frozen lake and the surface is hard or smooth you need something to tether the kite too. Ice-screws are what ice climbers use. They twist into a frozen block of ice with almost no effort.

Old school Alex Peterson

jacob[1].jpg 
   briansmith[1].jpg 
   kiteIsland[1].jpg 
   alex3[1].jpg 

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostWed Jan 03, 07 2:01 pm     Reply with quote

Old school Alex, KILLER Shocked Was that Alex in the Air taking a picture down at all you!.. . NICE PICTURES

Chris B

Since 25 Sep 2006
7 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jan 03, 07 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

I think it was Alex or Nik (Alex’s brother) from a paraglider.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: