Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Viento to event site downwinder 7/24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jul 25, 15 5:57 am    Viento to event site downwinder 7/24 Reply with quote

Did this run for first time yesterday on my 8m and surfboard, quite overpowered but very fun nonetheless.

Two guys left about 30 minutes before us around 1:30is, one on a bw kite and strapped surfboard and the other on a slongshot rpm 8 I think and a twin tip.

We saw your slingshot kite tumbling downwind about 1.5 miles s of viento. I made a brief foray to try to grab it but it seemed a bigger risk for me than it might have been worth. I was for the first couple of miles very overpowered and it seemed pretty likely I wasn't gonna be able to successfuly grab your kite without getting tangled up since Im just getting the hang of strapless. I clearly saw that your lines were all wrapped for self rescue though.

We figured between the fact that you had clearly the chance to wrap for self rescue and the fact that there was a flotilla of some 20 sups and kayaks that you did fine but we never saw you ourselves.

Hope everything worked out and that you and the kite got reunited.

bdennis

Since 01 Jun 2007
50 Posts

PostSat Jul 25, 15 9:37 am     Reply with quote

Thanks kassak, my buddy lost his kite and board but he's ok. I was on the BW but it was 10m and I had a hard time getting back upwind to help in time. He is a relative beginner who has done the DW before but it was his day to have a kitemare. If you have a chance to kite by someone who might be in trouble, always a good idea I think. Who knows maybe they could use some help.
I spent an hour going upwind to try to find his board, no luck. Then downwind to HR to try to find the kite , no luck. Now trying to hunt down the chase boat driver from the canoe race, maybe he picked it up. Oh well shit happens

bdennis

Since 01 Jun 2007
50 Posts

PostSat Jul 25, 15 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Oh my misunderstanding , you kited by his kite , not him... Thanks for even considering the kite pickup! I would not try that either- it's way too dangerous. Thanks again for the note!

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jul 25, 15 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Sure thing. Yeah I never saw him in the water, though I looked for sometime, only noticed the kited tumbling and no sign of him or the board.

pm'd you my best guess as to where the kite made landfall based on where I last saw it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: