Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Add a North Neo to my Rebel quiver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Larry Pinta

Since 21 Aug 2013
57 Posts

PostSun Jul 05, 15 6:46 pm    Add a North Neo to my Rebel quiver? Reply with quote

Hi

I have a 12/9m combo of Rebels from 2015. I have been actively looking for a 7m Rebel but after riding Manazita for the first time I am thinking Neo. I dumped my 9m kite once and it was on the verge of reversing in the waves. I have heard the 5th can cause issues in the waves? Would I be better going 7m Neo? I assume it would be more expensive as I couldn't use my current 5th Element bar.

I ride gorge mainly but plan a week on Oregon coast and Maui this year.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 05, 15 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

I can't comment on Rebels and 5 line kites - I've haven't tried either one.
I can testify that the NEO is a GREAT kite for both the Gorge and the Coast.
I switched to NEOs this spring (5, 7, 9, 11) and I'm very happy. It rips upwind, turns fast and smooth, easy depower, huge wind range, and drifts better than any kite I've flown. I've dropped them many times in the surf. They always seem to land in their wingtips and are are just waiting for you to relaunch. I can't say that about other kites I've flown and dropped in the impact zone.
The NEO can be flown in 4-line or 5-line setup.
If you choose a 4-line setup you would need a new bar.
I'm not aware of the pros or cons of a 5-line kite in the surf.
To be honest - I don't see many 5 line kites anymore.
I understand 5 lines for a true C kite, but not for a modern kite with a bridle.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 06, 15 8:58 am    Neo's Gorge,Coast... Reply with quote

I just picked up a few Neo’s to compliment my 2012 Rally’s. Compared to the Rally & Naish Pivot the Neo sits back in the window and does not easily drive up wind. The Neo will get you up wind, but it requires significant bar pressure and board technique. Relaunch on the Neo is different as does not tack (on the water) across the window as easy. The Neo is nowhere as agile as the old Rally under light bar pressure. The Neo drifts incredibly well (as well as a Cab Drifter) but with much more utility in rider acceleration. Good for riders of high mass. I mostly ride small kite (6m) days in The Gorge and was ready to sell my Neo’s and declare it a failed experiment because the Neo was comparatively slow, w/way too much bar pressure & power build across the window (for high frequency short swing Gorge swell riding). However the last coast trip made me reconsider keeping them for coast down the line drift, more forgiving (user error). BTW: the Pivot had disappointing drift, a huge low end, excellent upwind, light/medium bar pressure and excellent glide (jumping).

At this time I suspect that just like appropriate board shapes; The Gorge and the Coast might best be addressed with two very different tools. For now, I am going to keep my Neo’s for the coast and experiment with the optional outside line setting to see if I can speed them up for The Gorge.

Other than that sweet 5th line airborne jelly fish flag retrieve, the 5th line is trouble when you roll the kite. It seems like a fine way to turn one 8m kite into two 4m canopies.

Demo, tweak, retest, tweak-some-more, retest…. Respect, but always question authority.

Bowliosis

Since 24 Jun 2014
35 Posts
The Gorge

PostMon Jul 06, 15 9:29 am    NEO Reply with quote

Neos are the shit! Flying my third year of Neos in a row. Neo or dice, can't go wrong. I prefer the Neo because of the low end and drifting capability in waves. Also, 4 lines are far superior if your kite goes down. I've only put my kite down once in the waves, it was last winter, in 15ft swell at 11 sec. Not good! I was the only person out in 35-40 mph S wind. I had a line wrap around my bar when I went down. It was nasty! I took 5 sets on the head before I got my kite relaunched. It had fully inverted but, because of only having four lines I was still able to fly the kite and made it back to the beach quickly. Neo all the way!

As far as upwind goes, I can make it to the bridge from the sand bar typically in one to two tacks. I rode the Pivot and Neo back to back this weekend. Made it to the bridge in one tack both times. Both have great and similar upwind, drift and jumping capabilities. The pivot had a little lighter bar feel (flew pivot on medium steering line setting and neo on soft setting). Overall, i thought they were very similar and both great kites.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Jul 06, 15 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

There's an easy solution. Don't dump your kite in the waves! Wink

Seriously though, there were some "rumors" that you could rip your kite with the fifth line. I suppose that is possible, but is unlikely with the strength of the materials these days.

I've ridden Rebels for the last five years strictly in the waves, and have yet to rip a kite. I have many friends riding Rebels, and other North kites, and I have not seen one ripped kite. The materials are pretty bomb proof these days.

The bigger problem with the rebels is that in low wind, if you drop them just right, they will want to sit on their leading edge. That wouldn't be a problem with the 7M though. There should be plenty of wind to relaunch if you are flying that small of a kite.

My theory has always been to have all of your equipment basically the same. If you start swapping out your quiver with some of this model, that model, fifth line, four line, you are asking for trouble. The kite will do something you don't expect at the least opportune time. If you like the Rebel, get a 7M. If not, replace the whole quiver with something else.

I haven't flown or seen a kite that I like better than the Rebel for waves, but that's just me. To each their own.

Larry Pinta

Since 21 Aug 2013
57 Posts

PostMon Jul 06, 15 8:10 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the post I have ridden All the major brands and I am really enjoying the North products and the rebels. Just got a bit hesitant hearing the stories in the waves and after riding my 9m in 7m conditions thought I better downsize. Good to hear that the rebels work well in the waves. I only get waves a dozen times a year do if the rebel is a good option then I will look for a used 7m. Rebels seem to be hard to find.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Jul 06, 15 8:21 pm     Reply with quote

I just sold one, bummer you missed out on it.

The 7m rebel is a very sweet kite, just about my favorite size to fly (the 8m being my favorite).

mmac

Since 15 May 2005
93 Posts
SC

PostSat Jul 11, 15 7:37 am     Reply with quote

**sold**
Last edited by mmac on Fri Jul 31, 15 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nevo

PostMon Jul 13, 15 6:53 pm    Rebel 7m Reply with quote

Are you open to an older year model for the Rebel? I saw a new 2008 7m for I think $400 the other day...

tacodog1

Since 11 Jul 2015
6 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostMon Jul 13, 15 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the Neo. The low end is great and the range is amazing. I've taken it out in weak variable onshore conditions and dropped it a bunch of times in the surf, and it always relaunches pretty easily. Even if you lose line tension for a while the bridle doesn't tangle. Mine is setup 4-line. Compared to my 2012 Rally it does seem to sit further back in the window, but I like the direct pull and bar pressure. It also doesn't slide to the window too quickly if you overload it temporarily.

Btw they say the Neo rides a size bigger than advertised, so a 7m might be too close to your 9m Rebel.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 15, 15 4:23 pm    Re: Rebel 7m Reply with quote

5walnut10 wrote:
Are you open to an older year model for the Rebel? I saw a new 2008 7m for I think $400 the other day...

I have one and honestly wouldn't recommend it in waves, sorry. Rebels have changed dramatically through the model years. Very different kite now.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Jul 20, 15 7:28 am     Reply with quote

Here is a 7M Rebel for sale...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-North-Rebel-7-meter-/181807052417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a548b7681

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: