Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River in June
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jun 04, 15 9:24 am     Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
You can generally find wind on any day, within 2.5 hours drive of Portland. Many spots are closer, but basically what I'm saying is there are a lot of options. Don't forget the Oregon Coast if it's going while you're here.

Within 3 hours drive from PDX you can find these prime kite locations that are well known and easily accessible to everyone - I'm leaving out some spots to make it less complicated and possibly to appease the local riders Wink

From East to West (ish)

--3-Mile Canyon, OR (East of PDX ~ 2.45 hours) (big ass swell. BIG.)
--Rufus, OR (East of PDX, ~2 hours) (awesome place, easy launch)
--Rowena, OR / Dougs (WA) (East of PDX ~1.25 hours) (trickier launch, low population)
--Hood River (East of PDX ~ 1 hour)
--Stevenson, WA, (East of PDX ~ 45 minutes) (Works on both east and west winds)
--Rooster Rock, OR (East of PDX ~ 25 minutes) (Only works on an east wind and probably not going to be the case while you are here)
--Sauvie Island, OR (North/NW of PDX ~45 min) (this is a light wind after work spot, not a place you would typically ride if you are visiting from out of town, but good to mention if you are jonesing for a session and you have a big kite 13m+)
--Jones Beach, OR (West / NW of PDX ~ 1 hour) (Goes off in the afternoon through the evening)
--Fort Stevens State Park, Hammond, OR (West / NW of PDX ~ 2 hours) (Ocean riding)
--Manzanita, OR (West of PDX ~2 hours) (Ocean Riding)
--Lincoln City, OR [Road's End state park] (West / SW of PDX ~2.5 hours) (Ocean Riding)
--Newport, OR (south jetty) (SW of PDX, ~2.45 hours) (Ocean Riding)

You can probably find more info on those sites if you search around this forum, and I'd recommend doing so in order to learn about any specific rules or hazards of each location. Or ask around at the shops once you get in town (HR). For the places on the Columbia River you want Westerly winds (I've noted the exceptions) and on the coast you want Northerly winds.

And if you find yourself in a driving mood, check out the more southerly regions of the coast (I'm talking 4-6 hour drive) because there is some cool shit down there!

That's the quick and dirty Very Happy

Great recap...what is funny is I pm the guy with most of this info the same time you posted this last night.
We both left out some of the same spots ("# 1 rule of Fight Club").

However, Dern I think you stated travel times a bit too optimistically with rush hours, bridge traffic, road construction. In a perfect world these travel times are true... I'd bump up all travel times by 15-20 minutes.

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostThu Jun 04, 15 9:29 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Great recap...what is funny is I pm the guy with most of this info the same time you posted this last night.

I see ... I thought there were no secret local spots, lol

Slappysan wrote:
Hood river area is mostly river chop and swell, behind the sandbar there is some flat water but not the most amount of room (that's where the kickers are).

There are some nice flat water spots West of Portland but that's a long way to drive.

Oh no kidding, well flat(ish) water anyways, and if not no biggie we clearly don't have anything like the Gorge down here so that in itself will be an experience, just stoked to go out there and shred a bit, our season has kinda sucked down here, and our summers reaaaaally blow, I just started foiling a few weeks back (really freaking cool BTW) my only hope is that hydrofoiling will save my summer unless I find a job out there or hit the lottery then I'll just move there Laughing

Jones Beach looks pretty sweet, and I may actually take the drive to Floras Lake, that spot looks epic!

Sella wrote:
Nice recap Dern and Dog Patrol is right on about Floras being a special place. Thumb's Up

The good news Pedro is you're going to find wind and stoke everywhere. Disfrute!

Will do dude A LO MAXIMO! lol

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jun 04, 15 10:03 am    "When in Rome, act like a Roman." Reply with quote

pixelpedro wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

There are some spots that are not talked about and kept on the down-low. Do some hard research or take a local out for beers and feed them beers till their mouth starts talking dirty secret spots. Do you give the keys of the Lamborghini to a 16 year old who just passed his driver's license test? Hell no. Got to earn it son.

There really isn't any territorialism out here like you'll have your ass kicked or car trashed if your not from around here. Just Romanism. . ."When in Rome, act like a Roman". . . ie when in the PNW, act like a PNW'er. And if you ass-out, especially around the Event Site, people will be all over you.

Enjoy your visit!

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostThu Jun 04, 15 10:39 am     Reply with quote

hahaha right-on brother! will keep the trunk full of brewskies then Wink

I have a feeling it's gona b pretty epic no matter what, tnx again y'all

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostThu Jun 04, 15 11:56 am     Reply with quote

pixelpedro wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

Slappysan wrote:
Hood river area is mostly river chop and swell, behind the sandbar there is some flat water but not the most amount of room (that's where the kickers are).

There are some nice flat water spots West of Portland but that's a long way to drive.

Oh no kidding, well flat(ish) water anyways, and if not no biggie we clearly don't have anything like the Gorge down here so that in itself will be an experience, just stoked to go out there and shred a bit, our season has kinda sucked down here, and our summers reaaaaally blow, I just started foiling a few weeks back (really freaking cool BTW) my only hope is that hydrofoiling will save my summer unless I find a job out there or hit the lottery then I'll just move there Laughing

This is how "flat" the river swell was in Hood River a year ago today .......... Wink

11407202_10205958484135469_3708943401983480255_n.jpg 

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostThu Jun 04, 15 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

What the .... that huuuuge, maybe I should bring my SB instead, lol that's awesome.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 04, 15 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

Hood River is not that big usually though Wink
I think I had my best time on flat water in the Ponds of Jones Beach, it was so much fun I couldn't stop laughing for first few minutes - nice steady wind and buttery smooth water.

Search for 46.151119, -123.316239 in google maps and you'll find the part of river with flat water when you launch from Jones Beach.

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostThu Jun 04, 15 6:45 pm     Reply with quote

Phew, that looks freaking huge I think the only time our local spot get's this big in during a hurricane check out the link, not kiting but a pretty cool short flick of when it get's huge around here, otherwise if we're lucky waist to chest high.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/fGOg8XhOBmQ[/youtube]

Dude that spot looks like it rocks, I'm so pumped I cannot wait to get my butt up there.

BTW: any rules about launching from one side and kiting to the other, besides watching out for maritime traffic? is it cool with local authorities and that sort of thing? cause half the river is WA the other OR right?

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostThu Jun 04, 15 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

Here's what the ponds @ Jones are like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4faSQJAygA

Keep in mind its a late afternoon spot - the wind typically picks up around 2-3PM and goes until dark, hence the sunset shots in the video.

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostThu Jun 04, 15 7:44 pm     Reply with quote

T H A T was pretty epic!
Last edited by pixelpedro on Fri Jun 05, 15 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostThu Jun 04, 15 9:18 pm     Reply with quote

No restrictions on kiting from one side of the river to the other. Certain spots - the wind is generally better on one side or the other.

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostFri Jun 05, 15 6:54 am     Reply with quote

tnx good to know.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSat Jun 06, 15 9:51 pm     Reply with quote

pixelpedro wrote:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/fGOg8XhOBmQ[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/fGOg8XhOBmQ

Smoking Pumphouse!!!

My bro Tab was out there - he slays for legendary master - not all hurricane, 20 year swell hit December got the tail end of it

Some shots of Tab - hurricane Sandy - Dec 14 swell - 50 year old skate kid

image.jpg 
   image.jpg 
   image.jpg 
   image.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostSun Jun 07, 15 9:03 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet! yeah Sandy was a pretty sweet storm, we had a ton of fun.

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostMon Jun 08, 15 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

"BTW: any rules about launching from one side and kiting to the other, besides watching out for maritime traffic?"

You can smoke weed when you get half way across. And on July 1st you don't have to leave Oregon!

Anybody when the kickers will be put out? They might not be in place when this guy comes out . . .

pixelpedro

Since 18 Jan 2013
20 Posts
Lake Worth, FL

PostSat Jul 04, 15 10:22 pm     Reply with quote

Hey y'all you guys have the sickest spots, I went out there and did only the even site, I went out to Portland a day that was supposed to be dead and actually ended up blowing late in the PM, on my way back I checked Stevenson, fuuuudge that seemed like the gnarliest launch site, saw some dude on the bottom of this hill and another guy launching at the top of the hill, WTF, lol, that was crazy, I guess you get spoiled out here in FL with wide sandy beaches.

Anyways ... the conditions were sick, people were awesome, view is fantastic! the food sucked only good place was Trillium and Full Sail and sadly McD's, I miss it already. I never got to hit the features I wanted to but totally forgot my helmet 9even after a buddy told me to take it), I figured I could rent one from a shop, but no can do, so its cool I played way west of the event site by this little island on the south side (I hope I have my cardinals right), and it was perfect I got a couple of flattish days the rest were ramp heaven, I was a touch lit on my 13 at times and sometimes seemed like I was gona have to swim in, lol, but 5 min later it would turn on again. I never unpacked my 7m.

I almost went to Manzanitas one of the days looked like it was gona nuke over there, but seemed far to go exploring and not knowing the area was a big chance I didn't feel like taking, but it ended up actually being pretty good in HR.

What a magical place you have there at times it didn't even seem real, it's impressive to kite there with Mt. Hood in the BG and all the nature that surrounds the place, never take it for granted, I think I'm making the Gorge my summer spot.

Thank you all for your hospitality and advice, next time will definitely try to explore more.

Tnx again.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 04, 15 10:44 pm     Reply with quote

pixelpedro wrote:

What a magical place you have there at times it didn't even seem real, it's impressive to kite there with Mt. Hood in the BG and all the nature that surrounds the place, never take it for granted

That's the truth! It's an amazing place for sure. Glad you enjoyed your visit and thanks for sharing the stoke.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: