Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Downwinders options east of hr bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
165 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostThu Jul 02, 15 5:58 am    Downwinders options east of hr bridge Reply with quote

Any advice about downwinders between binges and the dales? I am thinking about launching.at klickitat and then doing a water self rescue near dougs. Anyone done a downwinders from binges or even Rowena to the dalles? My family is staying in Lyle through Sunday.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 02, 15 7:18 am     Reply with quote

I did this (Lyle-Dougs) downwinder two years ago on a day which was powered 6 & 7m throughout most of the central corridor. Fun.
Good Points:
The funnest part of this downwinder are in the "Dougs West" area east of the Rowena State Park where the water has kicked up some sweet swell with the long wind fetch.
Not so good: Just east of where you've committed and left the Klicitat launch you need to get through a section of super flukey off & full on winds. Be prepared to see your kite almost fall-out.. followed by instant shot-gun uber-powered. It's easy if you have pass-able skills, but not a place to linger.

As for the landing at Dougs. Just east of where all the windsurfers launch is a rocky point (see image) with a small bay where it's perfect to drop out your kite with a safety CL release. The kite will sweetly fall into a wind-shadow... and you simply pull it back in to retrieve.. then walk over the hump to where the windsurfer's hangout.
EDIT: You could also opt for a Klicitat to SS down-winder... but obviously you then need cars in 2 states. Beyond Dougs & SS the winds closer to The Dalles would be just too iffy. Ditto for opting for a launch further west (Mamaloose?).... iffy winds.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jul 02, 15 7:59 am     Reply with quote

Just in case, take a $20 bill, write down a few phone #'s as we all never remember them anymore:-/; place it in a zip lock bag and store on your person. Also clip on a pair of tevas/sandals with a carabiner on to the back of your harness in case you have to get out early as that shoreline is unforgiving to bare feet.

And for the ultimate DW'er east of the HR bridge. . . drum roll please . . . Arlington or Roosevelt downwind to Three mile/mile marker 151. It's like 20 miles long. One can land on the Washington side across from three mile--research it.

anders

Since 01 May 2012
107 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 02, 15 8:11 am     Reply with quote

I am looking to do some downwinders. Let me know if you are looking for someone to ride with.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1256 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 02, 15 11:15 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
The funnest part of this downwinder are in the "Dougs West" area east of the Rowena State Park...

Yeah Kip! Back in poledancing daze we called that "Dougweena"...

wylieflyote wrote:
...a small bay where it's perfect to drop out your kite...

And that was "Doug's basement", or just "the basement." Smile

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Jul 02, 15 7:53 pm    Re: Downwinders options east of hr bridge Reply with quote

markamcclure wrote:
Any advice about downwinders between binges and the dales?

Don't try to go all the way to the Dalles.

Just look at a map and you should be able to figure out why.

With the low river levels, there is plenty of very shallow water just west of the windsurf launch at Doug's if you have a buddy to launch and/or catch your kite.

hoarhey

Since 20 Jul 2008
63 Posts
the corridor

PostFri Jul 03, 15 11:04 am     Reply with quote

There's a crew that do downwinders from Bingen to Rowena regularly. I've done the Bingen to Lyle once and would do it again anytime. You just need to make sure it's filled in all the way to Dougs!

Downwinder to Dougs from Lyle? Why don't you just ride back to Lyle? Its not that hard, but same goes for the self landing at Dougs. The bed of the river upwind from the windsurf launch is soft sand and will probably be knee deep this year. I would drop my kite WEST of the windsurfers. Not sure of the east landing spot since I've never used it.
Plenty of room to roll up your kite and lines, and most of the windsurfers are cool with the novelty of the occasional kiter landing there. Hitchhiking is a breeze to, or at least it is for a local like me.

Not sure about the Rowena launch and land, but I'll find out very soon since I just moved to Mosier. If you feel like riding east of the Hood, send me a PM. I'm game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: