Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

River nose
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 30, 13 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

I read somewhere yesterday, I think it was 2010 top 10 most polluted rivers in america, that mentioned the pollution was down 2+% thats good I guess.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 02, 13 9:53 am     Reply with quote

Absolutely the Columbia needs to be cleaner. But it's not anywhere even near as bad as it could get if people stopped fighting to protect it. I guess what worries me is that if people think it really is one of the worst rivers in the world, then gee it's not too bad. What's all the fuss about water pollution? Here's some rivers that are bad. Keep fighting so that the Columbia never looks like these: http://www.weather.com/news/science/environment/worlds-most-polluted-rivers-20130627

Of course, it would make economic sense to let companies dump whatever they want in to the river. What jerks we are for wanting to keep the river clean. We must just want to make it tougher on the poor people. Rolling Eyes

mazzi

Since 28 Jul 2008
6 Posts
Portland, OR
Kook

PostWed Jul 10, 13 8:56 am     Reply with quote

Columbia Riverkeepers conducted a rivernose study in 2010. 69% of the samples contained five time more pathogentic bateria than the safe standard. The collected samples at Bob' Beach, Doug's, Event Site, The Wall, and Roosevelt. Fact sheet can be found here:
http://columbiariverkeeper.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/crk-river-nose-fact-sheet-mar-2011-31.pdf

In terms of other water quality standards, the Columbia is actualy generaly good. EPA recently conducted a study (2009) of the lower-middle Columbia from Stevenson past Arlington. All samples met water quality standars for recreational use. But you might not want to eat the fish, especialy suckers and bass. Super high levels of mercury, DDT, and PCBs. The highest levels were measured from fish on the Hood River...way higher than fish on the mainstem and all way above safe consuption levels (some 10-20 times above safe levels).
Here's the report:
www.deq.state.or.us/lab/wqm/docs/2009%20columbia%20REMAP%20final%20report_DEQ_complete.pdf

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostThu Jul 11, 13 8:23 am     Reply with quote

My river nose has gradually got worse and worse over the 18 years since i moved here. 5 years ago a good rinse and maybe a Benadryl worked now sinuses swell up and completely unable to breath through nose, can't sleep, miserable for days, etc, etc. Visited ENT, tried saline, various prescription and OTC drugs with varying effect. Kayak nose clip is now the only thing that works but works so well i don't bother with all the meds and rinses. Buy the clips a couple at a time and loop them on seaspecs or a wetsuit zipper pull. Clip on and off just while out on the water. Annoying for a couple of minutes then forget about it.
Complete opposite of going to the coast, there getting a good pounding does wonders for my sinuses - best cure for a cold i know!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 20, 15 8:03 am    Any one else ? Reply with quote

Getting my ass kicked by something fierce .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSat Jun 20, 15 10:34 am     Reply with quote

Was on antibiotics last week from some Texas finest river water

Best to catch it before the sinus infection is full blown

This seems to help - twice a day - flushes bad stuff out and who knows maybe changes the ph and makes it harder for shit to grow (modern update to neti pot)

http://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-Sinus-Rinse-Bottles-Premixed/dp/B001HDRHR8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 20, 15 10:47 pm    Re: Any one else ? Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
Getting my ass kicked by something fierce .

yup, me too. sore throat, nasal drip, respiratory. Thought I was getting better, went on a mellow mtn bike ride, now its worse. Been going on/off for over 2 weeks. Mad

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostMon Jun 22, 15 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

I get river nose periodically. But I also get similar symptoms from skiing too. The last time a couple of weeks ago as immediate short term relief to get through the night I slept with a nose strip and my winter hat. It helped. Long term I plan to try the neti pot. I had no issues with my nose when kiting in the ocean either.

skilja

Since 02 Jan 2008
75 Posts

PostMon Jun 22, 15 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

Seldom kite HR or the Gorge now, but after KB4C last year I hit the jumps and dunked under for a while when my kite went down. An hour or two later I basically had an asthma attack in a parking lot. I don't have asthma or bad allergies. Folks were going to take me to the hospital until someone handed me their inhaler. Straight up couldn't breathe. Never had this problem at Jones, Stevenson, Lake Washington, Sherman Island, or any other fresh water spots (or saltwater)... just Hood River. Maybe severity is proportional to the amount of Columbia water inhaled?

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSat Jun 27, 15 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

Went kiting at event site 4x last week and no problems. Swallowed some water at sauvie yesterday and had some nasty river nose last night.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: