Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Where is the wind this weekend weather gurus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Jun 18, 15 6:48 pm    Where is the wind this weekend weather gurus? Reply with quote

So the hood is not looking promising and Manzo on Sat looks big kite weather. Got the birthday weekend and wanted to kite, live in Bend and looks like I will be chasing. You guys got any plans this weekend, any spots looking good? Thanks

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jun 19, 15 6:44 am     Reply with quote

Well I primarily use Noaa for coastal forecasts. Looks to me like the "parade" is back on from Sat to Tues. Manzo looks like "big" kites? I don't think so. When the forecast calls for 10-15 mph I'm usually on my 9m and a surfboard, sometimes it a 7m.

I think your information is incorrect. The swell is going to be small at 2' but it is from the SW and with N/NW winds that should create quite the waveatorium aka terrain park.

Newport should work too and is closer from Bend, but an a typical forecast is calling for stronger winds North of there.

My three cents.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 19, 15 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Sat, Jun 20 2015
Warm and sunny for the Gorge, but lighter winds. Jones Beach reaching WNW to NW low 20's peaks. Sauvie Island reaching N to NNW mid teens. Stevenson and the Corridor reaching upper teens to around 20. The Near East reaching mid to faint upper teens. The East light. Coast winds hit low 20's for the North Coast, mid to faint upper 20's for Manzanita and the Central Coast, and upper 20's for the South Coast.
Sun, Jun 21 2015
Mild much of the day. Morning easterlies reaching upper teens to low 20's for Rooster Rock and Stevenson, but fading by midday. Westerlies build in quickly and LATE for Jones Beach and maybe for Stevenson and the Corridor with upper teens to maybe 20. The Near East and East remain light. The Coast reaching mid to upper teen NW winds.

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostFri Jun 19, 15 9:36 pm    Saturday - Lot C.5 Ft. Stevens Reply with quote

I'm planning on hitting river side of Ft Stevens between lot C and D.
Saturday, 11AM-3PM, incoming tide, big kite, flat water, 15-21MPH forecasted for the afternoon...testing out some different boards and working on toe-side transitions...

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
882 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Jun 20, 15 10:13 am     Reply with quote

Your intel about the coast is bad. Recommend you get new and credible sources.

Here is what NOAA has to say about today and the near future:

COASTAL WATERS FROM CASCADE HEAD TO FLORENCE OR OUT 10 NM-
WATERS FROM CASCADE HEAD TO FLORENCE OR FROM 10 TO 60 NM-
848 AM PDT SAT JUN 20 2015

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR WINDS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE
TONIGHT...

.TODAY...N WIND 15 TO 20 KT. GUSTS 25 TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES N 5 FT
AT 6 SECONDS. SW SWELL 1 FT AT 12 SECONDS.
.TONIGHT...N WIND 15 TO 20 KT...WITH GUSTS 25 TO 30 KT. WIND
WAVES N 5 TO 6 FT AT 7 SECONDS. SW SWELL 1 FT AT 13 SECONDS.
.SUN...N WIND 15 TO 20 KT...EASING TO 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES N 3
FT AT 6 SECONDS. SW SWELL 1 FT AT 13 SECONDS.
.SUN NIGHT...NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT...EASING TO 10 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES NW 3 FT AT 5 SECONDS. W SWELL 2 FT AT 10
SECONDS.
.MON...NW WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES NW 2 FT AT 4 SECONDS. W SWELL 2
FT AT 10 SECONDS.
.TUE...N WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 2 FT.
.WED...N WIND 15 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. W SWELL 3 FT.

Yesterday was suppose to be on the light side, but got blown off the water on my 12m at 6pm and could have been on a 9m till dark.

Arrow

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostSat Jun 20, 15 4:38 pm    Sunset Beach... Reply with quote

Ended up at Sunset beach...fun little amphibious day on 18M Helium landboarding, then building to 11M Element on the tiny swell...infinite ramps/kickers to launch from. Easy to stay up wind and just PLAY...Would have stayed out but domestic duties trumped...it was still building when I left at 2:30PM. Maybe a re-visit from the wind Gods tomorrow? Stay tuned...

Steve
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipO_v8VMfOzX8RMnfCR7QwV0ffv9dx1OcTgFu8vM/photo/AF1QipP4nKSAuTERe0_EHI_Us_jMgPnQglThQNsQf5Iu
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipO_v8VMfOzX8RMnfCR7QwV0ffv9dx1OcTgFu8vM/photo/AF1QipNBc-o78_UNaP6MF5nfowYD2-DuCRgGLkuKr4rR
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipO_v8VMfOzX8RMnfCR7QwV0ffv9dx1OcTgFu8vM/photo/AF1QipODN0eZs60d1xCiJJJTYtiwAKnGaQOsNztmuMbU

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostMon Jun 22, 15 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice you guys, yeah I am not familiar with wind predictions on the coast. Also I was not feeling that long drive so I ended up coming up to the Hood and flew my twelve on Friday and Sat, probably could of down sized but being powered was fun for this light guy. I was out before it turned on Sat. I am on the gorge is my gym email list, she is awesome, I just need to dial in the coastal weather. Thanks again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: