Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

A-Bay in Hawaii

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
G103

Since 22 Jul 2014
52 Posts

PostMon May 04, 15 6:40 am    A-Bay in Hawaii Reply with quote

I am going to Hawaii next week and am going to be staying next to A-Bay. I am a beginner and will be bringing my own gear. I was hoping to get some feed back on folks that have kited there. Thanks.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon May 04, 15 9:27 am     Reply with quote

Since you have a bunch of views but no replies - I will throw in my 2 cents. I have kited Maui a lot - but not the big island. From what I have read online - the big island does not have any spots that would be good for a beginner. Most the beaches there have sharp lava rocks and not very kind to kites. I know that there is a kite launch at the south end of A-Bay. Maybe if you talk to the locals - they might be able to direct you to a beginner friendly area. This question has been asked by beginners on other forums, and the general advice was to take the short flight over to Maui. Maybe someone who knows the big island better will chime in with some more hopeful advice.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon May 04, 15 11:04 am     Reply with quote

I am also a beginner that can stay up wind and complete about 95% of the sliding turn with out dunking in the water. While I was over there year ago checked out the area. There is a sandy beach there. Which is one of the few on the Big Island. The wind will most likely be off shore. The wind on the north and south ends of the island is fierce. I do not say that lightly. The Big Island is a great place for SCUBA or snorkeling. The place is a volcano, sharp and hard rock beachs every where. Go to Maui to kite! Do the tourist stuff. The best Sushi I have ever had is at Sushi Rock on the north end of the island. Do lunch there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: