Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ft. Stevens River-side - C.5 - Social Security Beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostMon Apr 20, 15 9:01 am    Ft. Stevens River-side - C.5 - Social Security Beach Reply with quote

Awesome flat-water session yesterday guys! John and Tim glossing the smooth toe-side transitions. Dan rocking the splash. And Nate getting the "teach" on...

Can't wait for more "weekend warrior" action...

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 20, 15 9:12 am     Reply with quote

where is this spot? sorry for kook Q

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 20, 15 10:05 am     Reply with quote

north side of parking lot D- don't want to put your kite down or carp out towards those ships or you will get an up close look at the jaws!!!

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 20, 15 10:45 am     Reply with quote

checked it out on google earth...so a few hundred feet out you are in the channel and a breakdown equals a trip out to sea?

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 20, 15 11:48 am     Reply with quote

It seems safe enough on a North wind. Are you using the beach on the North side of Lot D parking lot, or straight east of the lot? When the tides out I've had to use this east side since the south side is mudflats at low.

I was at manzanita yesterday on a 9 then 7m with lots of mixed wave directions. Plenty of downwinders going on. What was Ft Stevens like, especially shipwreck?

Manzo is 16 and Jones 14 right now and rising. One last day for the semi-retired.

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostMon Apr 20, 15 12:54 pm    Approach C.5 Reply with quote

I call it approach C.5 between Lot C and Lot D just as you round the corner on your way to Lot D.

Nice little cove and yes ONLY on N/NW/NE wind.

Lot D beach on the river-side is your bail-out...and yes...definitely stay inside (South) of the big red buoy...or you may find yourself heading out on that 18 mph current.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 20, 15 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:

I was at manzanita yesterday on a 9 then 7m with lots of mixed wave directions.
Plenty of downwinders going on. What was Ft Stevens like, especially shipwreck?

Ft. Stevens was a notch less windy.... per the usual.
Guys were on 10s and 12s..... mostly powered.
Swell was small but clean. Warm air, warm water - all in all a classic summer day at Ft. Stevens.
Kinda strange considering it's April.
It was like a grand prix race - 20 people took off on a downwinder all within a 5 minute span.

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Apr 20, 15 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing details on C5... Looks nice and wish I could have joined... However, I was previously told to be aware of the current on that side on the river... Do you check for incoming tide or is it also ok on outgoing tide?

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostMon Apr 20, 15 2:07 pm    Tides... Reply with quote

We rode from 1-5PM so both top of incoming/slack/and outgoing...
Funny, it seemed to get smoother on outgoing tide...definitely felt the difference in current vs. wind once the tide started out...very cool.

John tacked all the way around the point and hit some of the ultra-smooth butter just off the point...and had a sweet little mini-down-winder S-turning the whole way.

Fun day with minimal worries...and lots of smiles.

Actually, thinking about it...I seem to remember a lot more current at Jones last year, then here.

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostThu Jun 04, 15 3:08 pm    Friday evening/Saturday? Reply with quote

Looks like coast will be "ON" for the whole weekend...Might have a go again at C.5 tomorrow (flat water) after work and bust my Shipwreck (waves) cherry Laughing on Saturday?
Anyone going to be out this way?

Steve

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostThu Jun 04, 15 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

Looks to be windy today up near shipwreck. If anyone was out, please post conditions. The flag was sticking out all day at the cove and the Merger Bridge has been in the 20's all afternoon.

I will be heading that way on Saturday and was thinking of doing lot C launch. I don't have the car for driving onto the beach so, loc C it is.

kt

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 04, 15 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

you don't have to drive on the beach. Meet up at Shipwreck parking lot and drive the other car up to Lot B on the road. or go to Lot B and ask to get in on another group's downwinder. Was it really 4' swell SW @17 seconds today? How was it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: