Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OR Coast this weekend and next week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
islandkiter

Since 10 Apr 2015
3 Posts
Fox Island, WA
Kook

PostFri Apr 10, 15 8:27 am    OR Coast this weekend and next week Reply with quote

I am from Gig Harbor, WA and normally participate in our Puget Sound Kite forum.
I am hoping you guys can help me out.

We are taking an RV down the OR coast for spring break - leaving Sat.
We are staying at Manzanita, Beverly Beach, and Lake Floras.
It looks like pretty big swell - 10ft - is foretasted. I have surfed a lot, but I haven't done much kiting in the surf. I won't want to try to kite 10ft waves.

Question: When the swell is big at those beaches - is it a good option to kite on the inside - not in the big waves? Or, should I be looking for a bay/river to kite in? If so - any flat water you recommend?

Also - my wife wants to SUP surf. She won't be into huge waves. If anyone knows some good breaks that break small when the waves are big - let me know.

Up in WA, we have a few spots that are in the bay or Straits that break nice and mellow when it is huge out on the main beaches. I am looking for similar spots in OR.

Thanks

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 10, 15 8:42 am     Reply with quote

http://www.oregonsurf.com/pages/orsurfguide/north.html

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostFri Apr 10, 15 9:38 am     Reply with quote

manzo at high tide has a really wide inside. pretty easy to ride in the flat, shallow water out until the big break. might be tough to point sail, but you can downwind from the state park to town on the south winds.

Surfwind

Since 24 Jul 2013
63 Posts

PostFri Apr 10, 15 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Up in WA, we have a few spots that are in the bay or Straits that break nice and mellow when it is huge out on the main beaches. I am looking for similar spots in OR.

Yowza's! You may want to duck and hide next time your out at your local break.

Please, sit back and let me divulge our secret spots so you can post them on the WA kite forums Razz

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Apr 10, 15 9:55 am     Reply with quote

forecast looks a bit light this weekend but you are going to score next week!

just be careful of bigger swell/waves and lighter marginal wind - the current can really rip on bigger days and it can get ugly trying to re-launch a bigger kite - the inside reform can move along like the deschutes river at times

and dont die next thur & fri 15'@18 sec Twisted Evil

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

islandkiter

Since 10 Apr 2015
3 Posts
Fox Island, WA
Kook

PostFri Apr 10, 15 11:44 am     Reply with quote

thanks for the info. Don't worry. The spots I referenced are far from secret.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 10, 15 6:38 pm     Reply with quote

it's possible to kite Nehalem bay and there's some beach at the Nehalem State Park boat ramp. Lot D at Ft Stevens is sheltered too but is 30-40 minute drive north of Manzanita. If you have kids with you, they could check out the Sealions at Astoria (Bouy Brewpub) and the Batteries, Shipwreck, and lookout (lot C) at Ft Stevens while you kite lot D.

surfer

Since 02 Aug 2012
51 Posts
westport, wa

PostFri Apr 10, 15 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

I had the current thing happen to me the other day . My 12 would have normally launched but he current was driving so hard with the wind the kite was powerless. kinda sucked. ditched the kite, she came in all right. Super hard to get upwind too. In 12m conditions now, I just grab the TT. your always edging against the kite rather than surfing with the wind. (I know most of you know this, I just figured it out last year.) These conditions would make it super hard for wave strapless newbie.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostFri Apr 10, 15 7:47 pm     Reply with quote

Only head out as far as you are comfortable, and then chicken jibe and go back to the inside to transistion and try it again. I kited today at Agate Beach lit up on my 9m in the late afternoon for several hours of doing the "cat and mouse game" in solid 8 ft relentless short period surf with no sets, just constant waves. Never plunged all the way out and played it safe on the inside, it was easy and fun. Walked away from the session with no kitemares or close calls, all is good when you exercise good judgement and ride with caution.

Smile

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostFri Apr 10, 15 9:19 pm     Reply with quote

Extended forecast survey says:

You shoot and SCORE!!!!

If for some reason you aren't scoring the goods up north/central....the south coast is going to have wind out the gaazah starting Tuesday and lasting indefinitely

you will perfect your chicken jibe on this trip Laughing Run away Run away

Marcp

Since 24 May 2010
32 Posts

PostSat Apr 11, 15 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Search on forum Robby Nash video on a kite trip down the Oregon Coast. His crew stopped by several flat water areas and some smaller beach breaks South of Manz.

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostSat Apr 11, 15 7:34 am     Reply with quote

in big surf I thing the south jetties (assuming north wind) are a good bet. The south jetties at Ft. Stevens, Newport, Florence, on the way down will be excellent. In Newport and Florence the kiters launch as close to the south jetties as they like and can choose what size waves they want. you can stay close to the jetty or go downwind for bigger sets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: