Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Firewire Vanguard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skent

Since 08 Aug 2011
170 Posts
North Bend, WA & Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostSat Mar 21, 15 4:17 pm    Firewire Vanguard? Reply with quote

Thoughts about the Firewire Vanguard? I know Big Winds has a 5' demo board, which I plan on trying but just wondering what peoples thoughts are who have given it a spin.
Trying to decide between the Firewire Vanguard and the Cabrinha Secret Weapon.

CGKA Member

snowsurf

Since 08 Nov 2007
13 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Mar 22, 15 10:44 am     Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I work at Big Winds, but I have ridden both of these boards more then most.

The Vanguard is a very unique board. I have ridden both the 5'0 and the 5'2 a number of times. The 5'2 rides a lot bigger then the 5'0 (5'0 rides like a 5'0 and the 5'2 rides more like a 5'Cool. At 6' and 190 pounds, I like the 5'2. The Vanguard generates speed with ease, and is a great jumping board, and the kite FST construction is tough and can handle rough landings. With the parallel rail outline and super wide diamond swallow tail, turning it takes some getting used to, but the pay off is speed.

The 5'2 Cabrinha Secret Weapon is a great board for the Gorge and is what I am riding as of late. It works great in light wind due to its width, but the quad fin set up handles high wind great as well. The width also makes it super stable and easy to ride, but also makes landing jumps a breeze. The board has enough rocker to be very nimble in turns for a fish-style shape. It is a bit heavier construction, but I have been very impressed with the durability (and a little weight in high wind is preferable in my opinion).

We have both boards available for demo, and I highly encourage you to try both of them. They are both great. I like the Vanguard a bit more for jumping, but prefer the Secret Weapon for swell riding. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jason

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 22, 15 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

Cabrinha makes a better quality board. I know a couple guys who have broken FireWire boards just surfing and duck diving waves. FireWire has done nothing for customer service and warranty. Buy cabrinha !!

buttersmoothcarver

Since 08 Oct 2008
246 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Mar 22, 15 10:26 pm     Reply with quote

Firewire boards are fine, big difference between Felix Pivec Kitesurf specific models (heaver glass lay ups)and their pure surf line. I've been riding a 5'6 Dominator for past two seasons and my feet have been happy with this board. Looking to get into their new Vader or Cornice if they start making in the Kite version. It's extremly hard to mix high performance and durability and I think Firewire does a solid job on their kite specific boards.

Brad Gordon

Thermal Foundation
www.snowkiteadventures.com
text 2063000450

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Mar 23, 15 6:49 am     Reply with quote

i have been riding a 5'2" Vanguard for a couple of months and really like it. I am kind of hard on boards, mostly because i am not as good as i think i am sometimes and the strapless landings are not pretty, and this board has held up better than most. Rides really nice, even with the wide tail, you just have to move your back foot a little further back and it turns as fast as any board i've ridden. Move forward and it plans up in nothing. I like it best as a thruster instead of the quad set-up, which surprised me, thought with the wide tail it would be the other way but even as a thruster it just flies upwind and the bottom turn is so sweet. anyway, just my thoughts on it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: