Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Be carefull launching and landing kites in Kailua

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Mar 09, 15 8:36 am    Be carefull launching and landing kites in Kailua Reply with quote

I have heard kiting in Kailua is a bit tricky with rules - but this? I have not kited there yet..... been skunked every time I have tried.
http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/03/kailua-crime-scene-busted-for-helping-launch-kites-from-beach/

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Mar 09, 15 9:50 am     Reply with quote

There has to be more to this than what was written. The author is the also the subject; I'm feeling it may a little biased or missing something.

The comments on the article / post are interesting and entertaining though.

www.freeridekiting.com

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Mar 09, 15 11:01 am     Reply with quote

Yeah - that's what I was kinda thinking. Sounds a bit over the top - but even if partially true - could pose some issues for people trying to kite there. I figure just make sure to ask locals about dos/don'ts/regulations/etc - just like kiting any new spot. Smile

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostMon Mar 09, 15 11:27 am     Reply with quote

I suppose if he was charging to help other people then it could have been considered commercial.

Or if he was soliciting services that cost $$$ then maybe?

I agree, it seems like we're not getting the whole story here....

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Mar 09, 15 1:16 pm    Yep, some of the land owners on the beach Reply with quote

are getting bugged at kiteboarders. I'll tell ya if you wanna kite some fun stuff go to Mokuleia Beach!

Fun and not crowded, most of the time.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Mar 09, 15 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

I love Hawaii, but this sounds all too typical of the HPD.

jwnd

Since 22 Oct 2014
16 Posts
Bellingham

PostWed Mar 11, 15 8:56 am    Tips for Kiting Oahu / Kailua? Reply with quote

My brother is working in Oahu for 6 months and I will visit in late May. Hoped to get him going with lessons while he is there and get some time on the water for myself.
Intermediate kiter with little time in surf so far. Kailua sounds like the most popular spot, but beach may be a little crowded from the sound of it. Wonder if there are any suggestions for getting acclimated there or if other spots might offer better conditions/scene. Mokuleia sounds interesting and worth a look.

Schools I found on the web-
Hawaiian Water Sports
Honolulu Kite School
Windward Water Sports(Jeff Tobias)
...any good or not so good reviews of the above?

old reference to kiteoahu.com but site is down as far as I can tell. Kailua sail boards has a map of Kailua beach launch. Looks like they are not in the kite lesson business anymore.

Plan on renting a board to simplify baggage situation and bring my 12m for reported light winds. Shopping for a 14m. Paraglider in case wind does not cooperate.

Any suggestions on sites or schools for my brother?

Thanks

Jim

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Mar 11, 15 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

There is somebody advertising teaching on a jetski out on the Kaneohe sand bar. That would be a VERY great place to learn. He doesn't mention Kaneohe in his craigslist ad, but that is where the picture he shows is. Kailua is a safe place to learn, no coral in the water and the beach is "J" shaped. That means no matter how bad you screw up you'll wash ashore on a sandy beach. Pretty choppy though which makes for miserable body dragging. (Lots of face slaps smacking in to chop.) Kaneohe has much less chop, but is only accessible by boat/jetski.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Mar 17, 15 6:00 am     Reply with quote

I guess there is a little more substance to the story .............
http://www.kitv.com/news/kite-surfer-facing-fine/31664706

muthergoose

Since 14 Oct 2013
169 Posts
East Couve
Stoked

PostTue Mar 17, 15 6:28 am     Reply with quote

seems ridiculous. could HR enforce something like that at the sand bar or is that owned by CGKA?

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 17, 15 6:43 am     Reply with quote

Wow! I have taken lessons there in the past. Great place to learn. I can understand the neighborhood getting feed up with the commercial operations, it was kind of over running the place, but where else is there to learn on Oahu. From the report they ticketed 5 people that day. That poor guy just got caught up in the sting. They need to find some way to have a teaching operation there.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Mar 17, 15 7:13 am     Reply with quote

Now that the scene is described we need to know what was said during the conversation between Farley and HPD. I bet though we won't know until after court proceedings.

This is bizarre so far though, what a bummer.

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: