Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Pole Vaulting vs Kiteboarding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Feb 12, 15 4:48 pm    OT: Pole Vaulting vs Kiteboarding Reply with quote

Ever since I started kiteboarding, it never ceased to amaze me how many similarities there are between the sports of pole vaulting and kiteboarding... And never until the GoPro could so many capture and share the essence of their sport and take the audience right there with them...

This video, just released by GoPro, achieves just that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ANGZm0xPOA

As for the similarities between pole vaulting and freestyle kiteboarding: same muscle groups being engaged (meaning all of them, especially core and legs), same need for speed and precision timing for jumping, same feeling of freedom and power when boosting inverted to defy gravity, same training required to improve and master the sport (endurance, strength training but also lots of flexibility and gymnastic style training), and same feeling of bliss when sticking the landing after achieving a perfect flight.... and the fun part: everybody else thinks we are crazy, and we agree!!!

Main difference: 15 to 20 feet vs 20, 30, 40 or 50 feet

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostThu Feb 12, 15 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

Beautifully fit.

Smile

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Feb 16, 15 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

My friend in high school tore his testicle off pole vaulting. It was pretty damn scary and Jesus it was a bloody affair.

Just saying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Feb 17, 15 8:25 am     Reply with quote

Ouch...Sounds painful...Yes, when a pole breaks, which happens, there can be all kinds of nasty consequences. Not much different than a front line or bridle failure with a kite. I guess that's another similarity between the two sports...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: