Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

North Oregon Coast session, anyone going?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
STZZ

Since 06 May 2013
39 Posts
N.Couve

PostFri Feb 06, 15 11:30 am    North Oregon Coast session, anyone going? Reply with quote

My Oregon Coast kiting has been at Road End to Mo's, and Whiskey River on head high to double OH waves. 18' is insane even if it was clean (for me). Is kiting on the inside fun enough for anyone to drive for this weekend? My vehicle can drive on the sand.

Will anyone be kiting at the Astoria Ponds? I haven't been there either. Is it good on a south wind? Where do I launch?

I can meet or carpool from Portland, tomorrow or Sunday, if anyone is heading out.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Feb 06, 15 12:07 pm    Re: North Oregon Coast session, anyone going? Reply with quote

STZZ wrote:
I haven't been there either. Is it good on a south wind? Where do I launch?

Launch where it is windy. Ponds can be done on S winds, but better with SW.

South winds are typically up and down--large variances with storms like these. The swell is rather large this weekend and you probably won't make it out farther than maybe 1/4 of a mile; if you do you're not going to find anything cleaner, just more dangerous and you're a fool if you do go out any farther. Inside you will find discombobulated reform, messy, foamy waves.

Do a downwinder from 10th street access to the south jetty if you can hold down your kite. Probably best to have someone follow the group/party with a car if the wind picks up or dies. If only two people (and safer to ride with someone else out there) and they can ride the same sized kite and board, swap-out every 1/2 hr of riding.

And have the wherewithal to know when to stand-down if it's a reverse skunk day ie too much wind.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 06, 15 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

I was out there Wednesday on a 12m in 15-20mph east wind. The Clatsop sensor doesn't really work (showed 10) but the Megler/Astoria bridge shows east pretty well (showed 1Cool. I've been there once on a South and it works but if you want beach downwind, there's not much room at low tide. Otherwise downwind is the Columbia channel which could take you out to sea in a breakdown situation.

Lot D is where you park, take the bird watching wooden walkway south and set up out on the sandy point. Its probably 200 yards or less of a walk. Pretty awesome butter on east especially, the water is not very salty, somewhere between river and ocean temps, and there is sand to launch from even a little at high tide.

Lot B, Shipwreck, and Sunset beach to the south are where you ocean kite, but probably too big right now

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSat Feb 07, 15 7:55 am     Reply with quote

Specifically to your question about the inside being fun, yes! When it's this windy the CK inside combs out and you can get some real nice texture and the occasional green water set.

These last few southerlies have had steady wind. More south/SE though. If you're kiting on the ocean start up at Sunset where the orientation works better and more onshore.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Feb 07, 15 9:40 am     Reply with quote

don't know till your there in these winter conditions....

Thick foam and big surge with driftwood gonging.
memories are made on these days for sure......

be safe.

guaranteed to get wet if you go.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Feb 07, 15 12:27 pm    Never know til you go Reply with quote

It applies to the mountain and on the water.

Sweet and steady 9m readings on Clatsop sensor so far today!

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?sid=3CLO3&table=1&banner=off

And it snowed over a foot on the mountain last night! Bachelor anyways. Not light, but all the mountains need that dense under layer to help build the base and cover the rocks and stumps.

Don't give up on March and April. Rowdy Powdy Time I'm predicting.

Get some!

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Feb 07, 15 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

Kited Agate today in unruly 20-35 knot SSW winds (7m) in the afternoon with dismal grey and frequent rain squalls. Surf was relentless with short period storm surf 12"@12 seconds, not sets of waves, just constant whitewater and gnarled double ups and wedge peaks. It was about as unforgiving as it gets, but still felt great to get in a session after the hell week of working my job.

Monday afternoon is shaping up to be a classic west wind session and looking forward to it. Continues to be ridiculously warm for winter around here, feels slightly colder than Hilo, Hawaii to me. Probably because that is where all of our storm systems are coming from this year.

Cool

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Feb 07, 15 9:12 pm     Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
Kited Agate today in unruly 20-35 knot SSW winds (7m) in the afternoon with dismal grey and frequent rain squalls. Surf was relentless with short period storm surf 12"@12 seconds, not sets of waves, just constant whitewater and gnarled double ups and wedge peaks. It was about as unforgiving as it gets, but still felt great to get in a session after the hell week of working my job.

Monday afternoon is shaping up to be a classic west wind session and looking forward to it. Continues to be ridiculously warm for winter around here, feels slightly colder than Hilo, Hawaii to me. Probably because that is where all of our storm systems are coming from this year.

Cool

Spot on description for the day at Sunset as well. Great day to cruise downwind with the goal of staying out of trouble. Cheers to all the others I saw doing the same thing!

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Feb 07, 15 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

We hit Delray to shipwreck today. In fact two of us did it twice. The other 2 were pressed for time so we dropped them off at sunset.

Round 1

Round 2. I went with a bigger kite because I was under powered when I got to shipwreck. I should have went with the 7 because it picked up by the time we launched. I was lit on the 9.5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: