Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Big mama kites? Need advice!
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
marina

Since 16 Jan 2006
150 Posts
California coast
Stoked

PostWed Jan 28, 15 6:26 am     Reply with quote

Tkb will be doing a light wind test in Baja at the end of March with much of the gear being available at demo pricing for test team participants only (15 max). Will be posting info later today at www.thekiteboarder.com under the events tab!

Check out our new instruction resource
site, www.thekiteboarderschool.com

martyman

Since 29 Dec 2013
76 Posts

PostFri Jan 30, 15 9:41 pm    Amazon Reply with quote

Ya, up here in the Great White North, bunch of us scored big on the Amazon glitch, My buddy got a razor for like, 350 or something, 50 dollar harnesses, etc etc. Flites dropped all the way the 650!
Anyways, the OR flite is an amazing kite, fast, light, powerful. Cant go wrong with it really. Ive had it out from 6 to almost 20 knots. At 20 knots its a bit much but range is good.

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostSun Feb 01, 15 8:49 pm    bought a Cloud Reply with quote

14.5 meter. Wanted to fly her so bad but it was an 8m day up above treeline at Deer Park near Silverton. First taste of alpine kiting, got my pulse up that's for shore.

So I did fly her on the way back down, lighter conditions. She's a beaut but needs to be tightly inflated lest weird snake-tube stuff happens. Easy relauch even in light wind. Super small packing, like Stringy said.

Cant wait to put her to the test in the days to come...

VirginCloud.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  VirginCloud.JPG
 Filesize:  1.95 MB
 Downloaded:  300 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 03, 15 10:49 am    Cloud report Reply with quote

For anyone interested--

I just flew the 14.5 yesterday in the weirdest and wildest conditions, probably 8-25 mph, flukey wind, on my snowboard. Terrible wind, essentially.

Bottom line is I actually had fun and survived. Kited for 1.5 hours, over rolling terrain and a frozen lake with snow. I had the kited pumped up right this time (had to remove the Slingshot nose from the pump, which was difficult--why is this glued in?) and she flew as I had hoped--hyper responsive, loops like my 12 m RPM, boosts huge (a little too big at times, but that was the wind I think), easy relaunch.

I did have the Cloud bar and accidentally detached this at one point (the depower was too far for my reach and I would have to pull in the front lines to grab bar, and this was when I accidentally detached one of the safety mechanisms) but I just held on to the front lines while I reset it and no problemo. Also got myself out of a situation where the kite twisted itself around one line, without detaching from my board--just pulled in one line to me until I could untwist it off the bladder/leading edge, then drift launched. These were both my fault, and essentially I was surprised these "kitemares" resolved themselves easily, given the new setup and strutless kite.

The 14.5 packs down to smaller than my 8m rpm, and this will come in handy for future backcountry trips.

Stoked!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: