Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: rechargeable batteries and charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostWed Dec 31, 14 6:19 am    OT: rechargeable batteries and charger Reply with quote

On the verge of buying rechargeable batteries and charger. Do any of you have strong recommendations for a particular brand/model? I'm reading particularly good things about Sanyo Eneloop, but there are other strong contenders. Here's one review article: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/best-rechargeable-batteries/

stuffnthings

Since 28 Aug 2013
133 Posts
Colorado
Stoked

PostWed Dec 31, 14 8:04 am     Reply with quote

I actually bought the Duracells and charger in that article about 5-6 years ago. I still use the original batteries today and they do just fine. I now have about 8-10 each of the AA and of the AAA. I liked that the charger at the time came with a cigarette adapter for car charging at no extra cost.

I got them for my go pro and have found lots of other uses over the years. They have been in my RC plane and car radios, go pro, Xbox controllers and all sorts of other stuff and work great.

Only critique I would really have is the cold weather performance of the batteries. Skiing with my go pro they have a noticeably shorter life then when I use them in warm conditions.

I'd definitely recommend them. Hope that helps.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4200 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 01, 15 2:24 am     Reply with quote

I've tried all of those in the article, the enloops are as good or better than any of the others, plus they are available pretty cheap at Costco. Pretty much a no brainer because of that.

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 01, 15 9:15 am    try Amazon branded rechargeables Reply with quote

A few of the Eneloops I've used for a few years started shorting out so I switched over to Amazon rechargeables, they seem just as good and so far no failures.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Precharged-Rechargeable-Batteries-16-Pack/dp/B007B9NV8Q

I use a BC-900 LaCrosse charger, works great.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostThu Jan 01, 15 10:10 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
I've tried all of those in the article, the enloops are as good or better than any of the others, plus they are available pretty cheap at Costco. Pretty much a no brainer because of that.

Ditto. I've been using the eneloops for years and they have never let me down. The Costco pack and charger combo is a good deal.

The eneloops sold now are 2nd gen.

1 thing to be aware of is the diameter is slightly larger than std alkaline AA's.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4200 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 01, 15 7:50 pm     Reply with quote

I only use the charger from the Costco pack as a travel charger. Get this charger to maximize your battery life:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E65DG6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It charges each battery individually as opposed to charging pairs of batteries. Each of the 8 bays is individually controlled. The chargers that charge pairs of batteries damage one of the pair every charge.

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostFri Jan 02, 15 5:57 am    thank you Reply with quote

Thank you. Appreciate all of the input.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: