Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

how far can u swim in 41 deg
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostSun Dec 14, 14 10:21 pm     Reply with quote

Another winter Home Valley story. I was out today to do a downwinder to Stevenson in my 3 mil shorty, 5/43 full suit, 6 mil booties, 3 mil hood, and 3 mil gloves. I was attached to my kite the whole time and I kept it flying for power. I never felt cold - but I didn't realize I was still being sapped for energy. Having the kite flying lulled me into a false sense of security, and kept me in the water way longer than I should have been in that water. When I finally decided to try to self rescue and swim in - I was only a few hundred yards from shore - but found my muscles no longer worked. I still didn't feel cold - but nothing worked. I had to eject the kite and make the longest few hundred yard swim of my life.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 14, 14 11:46 pm    the ponds Reply with quote

Spooky cold!
I looked at going today but the gorge wind was only 41degrees. I didn't go but the ponds at Ft Stevens were probably good since the air was 54 and I'd bet the water was 50+ as the ocean is 55 right now. I just wish there was a better sensor there on ikitesurf. The clatsop spit and Astoria airport sensors are terrible but I think it was 18-25, for me most likely 9m. I'm hoping for some days like we had last January when Rooster was 60mph and almost 50 degrees, at Ft Stevens it had warmed to 62 degrees and 25-35mph. I had a long session on my 7m!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Dec 15, 14 6:25 am     Reply with quote

hard to swim in a drysuit or with all that rubber but much better if you practice

http://www.meetup.com/Portland-Underwater-Hockey/

also good big wave training Thumb's Up

uwhsm.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

LapDog

Since 19 Dec 2008
66 Posts
White Salmon

PostMon Dec 15, 14 7:20 am     Reply with quote

Red kite Blazeheliski? Skamania had a report (hood river co sherrif got the call too) of a red kite hung up off shore on rocks yesterday. Let me know if you'd like some help with a jetski to try to recover it this afternoon. Or, maybe someone has already pulled it in.

As a cold water data point, I was able to swim for an hour in 46F water without anything turning numb. I was wearing:
- thick wool socks
- 4/3 hyper-flex front zip wetsuit with head flap open (inside drysuit)
- Ocean Rodeo Soul 8200 drysuit (built in dry socks)
- 2mm ankle high booties
- ONeill Psycho 1.5mm gloves
- ONeill 3mm hood
- was swimming with a surfbooard

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Dec 15, 14 8:33 am     Reply with quote

LapDog wrote:
Red kite Blazeheliski? Skamania had a report (hood river co sherrif got the call too) of a red kite hung up off shore on rocks yesterday. Let me know if you'd like some help with a jetski to try to recover it this afternoon. Or, maybe someone has already pulled it in.

As a cold water data point, I was able to swim for an hour in 46F water without anything turning numb. I was wearing:
- thick wool socks
- 4/3 hyper-flex front zip wetsuit with head flap open (inside drysuit)
- Ocean Rodeo Soul 8200 drysuit (built in dry socks)
- 2mm ankle high booties
- ONeill Psycho 1.5mm gloves
- ONeill 3mm hood
- was swimming with a surfbooard

Thanks for the offer Matt! Yes - red and black Airush Lithium. But sadly - I am slammed at work this week and wouldn't be able to do any kite rescue missions until Friday. So far, I am just keeping an eye on NWkite to see if anyone turns up with it. I have seen what happens to most kites that get hung up on the rocks at the base of the railroad tracks - and it is not pretty. I am not sure if a kite rescue mission would be worth the trouble. I have a pretty good idea where the kite would be if it is still alive. I was pretty close to shore when I ejected and I remember the direction it was drifting. Here are some pics of where I think the kite is probably hanging out if it is still alive and not in pieces on the rocks. Do you think I should call the sheriff's office and let them know not to worry about looking for a missing kiter? or are drifting, snagged kites old hat for the sheriff's department in those two counties?

closeup.jpg 
   bigger pic.jpg 

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Dec 17, 14 6:37 pm     Reply with quote

Got some time off work today - so I did SUP downwinder salvage. Think little sail tape would fix it? Wink

closeup_757.jpg 
   IMG_20141217_145722_646 - Copy.jpg 

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Dec 18, 14 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Yowza!

www.freeridekiting.com

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Dec 18, 14 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Warranty..... Laughing

www.naishkites.com

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Dec 18, 14 10:54 am    I've fixed worse Reply with quote

DANGLERIZE!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: