Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Strapless 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 10, 14 2:46 pm    Strapless 13 Reply with quote

Emmet enjoying his Ozone Reo's.

http://www.straplesskitesurfing.com/gallery/emmet-sproul/#gallery Laughing

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Nov 11, 14 10:08 am     Reply with quote

I'm so glad you told us this was a strapless post, because that's definitely the most important thing to know when viewing this. Strapless is the only legit way to ride a surfboard.

Too bad he's wearing a helmet though. That is totally non-legit.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 11, 14 10:18 am    Whats wrong with a helmet ? Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
I'm so glad you told us this was a strapless post, because that's definitely the most important thing to know when viewing this. Strapless is the only legit way to ride a surfboard.

Too bad he's wearing a helmet though. That is totally non-legit.

I split my head wide open with my surfboard. It was serious.
To say that it is "not legit" for a 13 year old kiter to wear a helmet says a lot about you.
Its not your call to determine if thats "legit" or not.

Whoever knows Pete should give him a hard time for saying something negative like that about a young kiter who very clearly loves the sport.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Nov 11, 14 10:26 am     Reply with quote

Maybe you should have titled it "13 year old ripper" instead of strapless. Otherwise, how the fuck am I supposed to know the guy is 13.

Cool photos, and ripping for a 13 year old.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 11, 14 10:56 am    Respect all kiters Reply with quote

Hey, It's cool Pete. Thanks for your response.

Just trying to keep things positive.

I started windsurfing in the beginning. I still have 2 wooden booms and 2 wooden universals that I used because that is all there was.

Sailed the gorge for my first time in 82.

Started kiting in 98.That was not the beginning but it was close.

One thing that I have learned from my love of wind sports is to support and encourage all others who want to enjoy our various forms of high performance sailing.

I respect and give positive vibes to all who enjoy, no matter what the particular form of their enjoyment comes in, as long as they do not endanger me or others.

I watch the wake style riders spank themselves silly all day long. I laugh with them, never at them. ( well maybe once in a while) I don't understand why they do that but I still respect them and am glad they love to kite.

Sailing is such a positive thing and it is probably why I'm not living in a gutter somewhere or dead.

Now I have a teenage son who enjoys many dangerous sports. We do a lot of sports that put your head in danger, often. I do my best to keep him safe. We like helmets, they protect your head.

I was riding my SS Tyrant with carbon rails on a 6 meter day on Maui at the Boneyard.
I did a humble turn and slipped off. My board was upwind and blew up and over and the rail near the nose hit my forehead full swing with lots of momentum. It split me to my skull from my hair to the inside of my left eye. In about 2 seconds both of my eyes filled up with blood and I could not see. I hugged my board because I was sure that I was going to pass out. After about 5 seconds of that I was still awake and the water was full of blood. I was able to clear one eye but not the other. I decided to try and sail to the beach. I made the beach but passed out before making it to the hospital.

If I had been wearing a quality helmet that was properly fitted and adjusted, this would not have happened. Not sure how I made it to the beach, I was pretty sure that was it for me.

No regrets, I just decided to modify my behavior so that maybe that would not happen again.

After my accident, I am too afraid to kite without my helmet. I love it. Its a Shred Ready T-Dub carbon Deluxe. It has a nice brim so I don't have to wear a baseball cap anymore. It makes me feel good about my riding. Im 225 lbs and ride no less than 90 days per year on an 8 or smaller and many more days on bigger kites so I can honestly say that I kite a good bit.

On thing about riding strapless in high winds is that surfboards blow and tumble. Most hardcore strapless riders that I know have been tagged by their board at least once.

Same with straps, I think they are silly but lots of people use them. I encourage them to take the straps off but never in a negative way. It does not identify them to me as "strap users" . They are kiters, just like us.

Unless it directly effects you and your safety, why not be positive and support EVERYONE who enjoys the sports that we enjoy.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Nov 11, 14 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

Impressive for any age and I like the stylish helmet.

Very Happy

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Nov 12, 14 6:24 am     Reply with quote

+1 for helmets.
I pulled my someone out of water semiconscious after being wacked by a longboard surfing.
That was a over 15 months ago. Not a fun ride.
Neurologist says her headaches should be better in another 3-6 months.
She lost her job. Had amnesia etc for a while too.
Helmets are good.
I should wear mine more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: