Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

jet wash concerns at airport beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 30, 14 5:42 pm    jet wash concerns at airport beach Reply with quote

hey guys, just back from a 10 m solo session at the airport (broughton beach)
anyhow I was amazed at how close the planes fly when approaching the far north runway its like they are only a couple hundred feet above. I was riding my foil board strapless and botched a gybe and landed in the water. I had my kite at noon when all of a sudden my kite fell momentarily then powered up then powered up again. I can only attribute it to the jet engine rotor. this happened like 15-20 seconds after a fairly good sized (737?) jet went right overhead. I think on these easterlies, the jets tend to land going in an eastward pattern landing into the wind at PDX. not sure if its an issue on west winds, anyhow just wanted to share with you what happened and be prepared for these unpredictable events. for the remainder of my session, I stayed out in the middle of the river when the jets were coming in for landing and only came close to the shoreline only when it was all clear.
be safe there- stringy

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Oct 31, 14 12:22 am     Reply with quote

Nak will be adding your name to the No Fly List Thumb's Up

If you can tell the type of coffee the pilots are drinking, probably best to move somewhere else...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 31, 14 8:21 am     Reply with quote

I'm just jealous you got a session Jim! We were contemplating heading out there that day, but thought the wind would be too light and it was raining, so we opted for reno work instead... ugh...

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Nov 02, 14 7:50 am     Reply with quote

Stringy, you got hit by a wing-tip vortices. They are horizontal tornadoes that come off the wingtip and travel out and down. The worst offender is the 757. I had a pilot on my jumpseat one year and he looked rattled. He had landed about an hour before and said he was landing behind a 757 and got too close and his small jet ended up inverted with his passengers screaming death cries. Our standard distance behind most jets is 3 miles on landing. We also stay above the preceding jet on the glide path. 757's and heavier jet's require 5 miles.
Believe it or not, kites generate the same vortices, If you cross paths real close, you will get turbulent bump from the other kite!

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 02, 14 9:09 am     Reply with quote

^that is some cool information!

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 02, 14 5:53 pm     Reply with quote

i know some folks who got in trouble for kiting to close to astoria airport years ago. whats the law near pdx?

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 02, 14 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

beech wrote:
i know some folks who got in trouble for kiting to close to astoria airport years ago. whats the law near pdx?

Before it was re-developed, we kited there a few times; no one complained and there wasn't really anyone around anyways. Last spring or the year before (its all blur) pulled in to find the new parking lot etc, and there happened to be a couple of law enforcement officers (might have been the local sheriff dept.) on hand supervising some sort of charity swim thing. I asked about kiting so close to the airport, and they said no problem at all. We've even had "busy" days with around a dozen people out, and no complaints, though I'm sure the pilots know we are there!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 03, 14 7:59 am     Reply with quote

beech wrote:

not sure of any "laws"
I've spoken to numerous people here from harbor patrol to the park ranger, there doesn't seem to be an issue with any agencies. what was the issue at astoria? I just looked at google maps at the astoria beach relative to the runways and it does look close and probably not much elevation difference from water to runway.

I do know that if you drop your kite in front of the sextant and cannot relaunch, even the airport fire department will respond! Wink

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 03, 14 8:49 am     Reply with quote

FAA controls airspace within 5 miles of major airports. http://mauikitesurf.org/

In maui they gave some sort of waiver for kite beach. Anyhow its prolly one of those things where unless it becomes a blatant problem or pilots start complaining, u wont hear anything about it.

In astoria back in the early days someone must have noticed the crazy nuts dangling from 2 line wipikas near the airport approach. maybe it was the look of shear terror on the kiters faces that drew attention!! :-)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: