Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

$$$ is no limit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 17, 14 6:17 pm    $$$ is no limit Reply with quote

If you could spend the next 5 months anywhere looking for the best wind, where would you go?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 17, 14 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/files/bikini-girl_676.gif

where ever my view is like this 24/7Smile!!!!

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 17, 14 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

I'd change hemispheres: South America, Africa, Asia, Australia, New Zealand... I'd fly around the world down south and hit them all!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Oct 18, 14 10:18 pm     Reply with quote

Brazil.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSat Oct 18, 14 11:01 pm     Reply with quote

I'd bomb around the Caribbean on a 60' gunboat (twin hull), surf, party, and kite all winter.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 19, 14 5:42 am     Reply with quote

Shameless promotion.... But I fell in Love with Brazil!! I stayed an entire month with David and Paz at Windy Addiction, Itarema Brazil as my home-base, with runs to Prea, Jericoacura, and Barra Grande.
Barra Grande.... although for "amenities" it feels like the end of the world, I cannot imagine a more perfect flatwater spot. Thousands, and thousands of acres of sand-bar glass ponds, 24/7 uber steady 9M, swim-trunk bath warm water/air. Note: We arrived by taxi, the driver came inside for 20 minutes of visiting and we said goodbye. A couple minutes later he comes back and "por favor" can we please help? His taxi was buried in wind-blown sand at 10PM in the night. Kinda reminded me of a North Dakota blizzard, but we're in tank-tops and it's in the low 80's. The next 4 days was absolute kite-heaven.
https://www.facebook.com/kitesurf.maramarbrasil?fref=ts
Sunset from my front porch:

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 20, 14 9:50 pm     Reply with quote

If I just wanted to chill in Brazil, could I stay there from Nov 1st - April 1st and have pretty good wind all five months? Or would I want to leave one or two of those months to hit up Baja or somewhere else? I doubt I'd get bored, but I want to kite most days of each month.

nickdward

Since 11 Aug 2008
130 Posts
Seattle
Stoked

PostTue Oct 21, 14 2:20 am     Reply with quote

flipper wrote:
If I just wanted to chill in Brazil, could I stay there from Nov 1st - April 1st and have pretty good wind all five months? Or would I want to leave one or two of those months to hit up Baja or somewhere else? I doubt I'd get bored, but I want to kite most days of each month.

June-January would be your best bet for kiting 7 days a week on a 7/9m (depending how far north you go). Feb-April you will have some rainy days that shut things down. You'll get wind all year round, but after January you may need a bigger kite and only get 3-5 days a week depending on the rain.

Also I'm not sure how long you can stay at once on a tourist visa...might be 90 days (good for 10 years though)

Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Oct 23, 14 8:28 am     Reply with quote

If money were no object, then I'd make Tarifa Spain my home base and then explore Dakla in Morocco. There are a ton of spots there.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Oct 23, 14 9:51 am    Cape Verde Reply with quote

Brazil sounds sweet! However, this place would be on the bucket list. I've see plenty of kite vids and to this day these waves look about as nice as I've ever seen.

http://manera.f-onekites.com/
check out the wave/riding session from minute 3:30- 8:00; unreal.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-24219.html&highlight=verde

We (I'm from Holland, Ola is from Poland) set up a kitesurf centre on Sao Vicente (one of the Cape Verde islands).

Wind is super consistent. The orientation of the beaches is such that with the trade winds coming from N-NE early and late in the windy season and NE in the middle of the windy season, we have a long period of useable wind from the start of October to beyond the end of June. The statistics from windguru 2008 & 2009 (confirmed in the 2010/2011season when we measure on the beach) are very impressive.
We measure useable wind as % of time during the day (not night) with 11-25 knots in a good direction (cross-shore or cross-onshore). Here they are:
October 92%
November 99%
December 96%
January 87%
February 96%
March 85%
April 97%
May 99%
June 95%
The exception to these statistics is when we have a global weather change that affects the trade winds. The one that impacts Sao Vicente is La Nina during the fall/winter/spring (this happened in the October 2009 – February 2010 but is not predicted to come back soon).

There are more than 6 kitesurf spots all within a max of 30min drive of eachother with varying conditions (wind from left/right, waves smaller/bigger, waves breaking left/right). Although we do have small areas with flat water (including one where you can stand), the only limitation of Sao Vicente is that we do not have a very large area with flat water without swell where you can stand knee to waist deep. We have our center on Salamansa which is a large bay with sandy beach, no coral, no beach break, al little flat water area upwind and a point break at the far (upwind) end of the bay.

What’s also worth mentioning: Cape Verde is a catholic country. Sao Vicente (and the island close to it: Santo Antao) are beautiful and unspoilt with genuine Capeverdian culture (morabeza). The city of Mindelo in Sao Vicente is super fun and famous for its musicians and other artists.

Sao Vicente can be reached from Portland and Seattle connecting with a wednesday flight from Amsterdam to Sao Vicente with TACV, an airline from Cape Verde (Tel: 617-472-2431, e-mail: dboston@tacv.aero)

If you want more information, please contact us or visit our website on: http://www.kitesurfnow.us

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 27, 14 10:27 am     Reply with quote

Sardinia, Italy

http://www.kitesurfsardinia.it/

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 27, 14 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

I would head to New Zealand in a heartbeat. Too much fun and southern hemisphere summer just around the corner.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostTue Oct 28, 14 9:15 am    Maui No Ka Oi! Swell a commin! Reply with quote

Maui.
It's beautiful, it's fun, it's full of hippies. There are no dangerous snakes.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 30, 14 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks all for your thoughts. Now I just need unlimited $.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSat Nov 01, 14 4:16 pm    Re: Maui No Ka Oi! Swell a commin! Reply with quote

bulae99 wrote:
Maui.
It's beautiful, it's fun, it's full of hippies. There are no dangerous snakes.

just the weekly Tiger shark mauling.

The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 02, 14 7:24 am    ARgentina Reply with quote

uff: Its a big country! http://www.delviento.com/html/Spot.aspx?id=1&wid=4

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 14, 14 7:39 pm    Maui Reply with quote

1st, rule out all the places where water temps ever go below 70' F. There is nothing good about cold water other than drinking it on a hot day.

2nd, rule out all the places that you can drive to, because ANYONE can just drive there.

3rd, rule out all french speaking locations.

Maui, because its MAUI and because it has world class wind AND it beats everywhere else with all the things to see and do when there is no wind. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: