Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Do straps get a bad rap?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 26, 14 6:26 am     Reply with quote

My above entry was tongue-in-cheek. At my age I've already missed the one opportunity to be "cool". Soon it will be all bed pans and blue haired ladies.:

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Oct 26, 14 6:36 am     Reply with quote

The OC I think has a good heart with the fun and happy thing.

But let me break it down for you by point of view -

Strapless kooks look down on strapped guys because they are getting off easy and can impress a non kiting spectator with big jumps, better wave rides, snappier tricks, and not falling off of the board so much. - So, yep, the strapless mentality is mostly (not entirely) about looking cool to other "in the know" spectators/kiteboarders. Can't tell you how many times I have heard TT guys say, "did you see that guy riding strapless, that is soooooo cool.

Strapped kooks look down on strapless guys because we know they are trying to look cool by doing something that is harder to look cool. No matter what they say that is mostly what it is about.

Boils down to who you want to impress.

If you want to impress me in the lineup, go back to windsurfing. More skill in a wave windsurfers little pinky than the best kiters family tree. (But are they having as much fun?)

So I wave kite strapped now because I do not have to look cool. I am there for the roller coaster ride. Not to look cool - that happens or it does not - I have no control over that.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSun Oct 26, 14 6:16 pm    I'm bi. Reply with quote

Strapless and strapped,
Advantage of straps is you can do jumps. Strapless is that you can spin your board and do other cool crap that is not possible with big straps in your way.

If you have the time and the desire to learn how to kite better then learn strapless. It's like bra's. Strapless looks better in a sleveless dress, but straps keep the girls from jumping the fence.

The benefit of going strapless is you learn to kite more balanced. I'm mostly strapped because I don't want to mess with losing my board in waves. I can take my feet out and go strapless, and often do.

alleycat

Since 29 Jun 2006
176 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostWed Oct 29, 14 9:41 am     Reply with quote

I would like to expand this conversation to fins on skmi boards. I ride my skim without fins, that is the straight guy way of riding a skimboard. Anybody that rides with fins on their skimboard is definately gay!!

AndyD

Since 17 Mar 2008
53 Posts
Bend, OR

PostWed Oct 29, 14 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

What if I'm gay but ride a skim finless?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: