Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Compstick compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostSat Oct 04, 14 10:08 am    Compstick compatibility Reply with quote

I've read some of the past threads about mixing vs matching certain bars with certain kites - various release systems, hi-V vs low-V, etc. - but I still don't really understand what's safe and what isn't in my particular circumstance . . .

1. Is it safe to use a Compstick with a 2012 Airush Lithium? What about a newer Lithium?

2. Is it safe to use a Compstick with a 2014 Switchblade?

I like my Compsticks (I have three) and I like buying and trying different kites, but I don't always want to purchase and get to know the matching bars.

The Compstick feels natural in my hands, but I'd also like to not be an idiot if I can help it.

dyyylan

Since 14 May 2014
26 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Oct 04, 14 10:24 am     Reply with quote

You named all the things you need to look for:

- Flagging system (single line vs. mini fifth (both lines))
- Front line split distance (V vs. Y)
- Relative front/rear line lengths (only applicable to old kites)
- The pigtail situation (kook-proof, also which ends are knots/loops)

As of 2014 Cabrinha uses a single-line flag-out, which is what the compstick uses.
As of 2014 Cabrinha uses a low V split, which the compstick has.
I think the pigtails have the knots and loops on the same ends. If not you can get adapter kits for a couple bucks.

I think airush is the same, should be easy enough to find out.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostSat Oct 04, 14 10:35 am     Reply with quote

The only other dimension to consider with kite compatibility is Long Throw vs Short Throw and the Compstick is built for long throw Slingshot kites but includes the stopper to adjust. The Cabrinha kites are short throw kites (minimal distance to depower)

I use the Compstick with my Cabrinha kites... All the hassles with Cabrinha bars (now issues with my 2015 bar), the Compstick has been my reliable alternative.

Dwayne

westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostSat Oct 04, 14 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Very helpful. I'm going shopping for a 2014 Switchblade . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: