Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lost Board at Rooster Rock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jmmorford

Since 26 Oct 2009
21 Posts

PostSat Sep 20, 14 6:25 pm    Lost Board at Rooster Rock Reply with quote

First, I want to thank all the kiters who came to may aid today when a self launch went bad and I got slammed with a concussion. The ER cleared my spine and the only lasting damage seems to be some wicked whiplash and a headache. But I was pretty out of it when I woke up, so I really appreciate you guys.

When the park guys carted me away, one of you guys said you would grab my board for me. Its an Ocean Rodeo Mako 140 with red graphics. I would really like to get it back. Please email me at morf@easystreet.net or call at 503-319-1973. Thanks so much.

In case you are interested, here is what I can remember. I was doing a self launch on the beach. Everything went fine until the kite was in the air and I realized that my fifth line safety was wrapped around the bar. I could not sheet out and the wind was gusting big. I immediately released my chicken loop, which turned out not to be a good move because the wrapped safety left the kite fully powered. That's the last thing I remember. I expect that the kite jerked me hard by the safety leash and launched me. I must have landed on my face based on where my neck hurts and how much sand I had in my nose and ears. I expect I'll be paying for this mistake for a while.

Lesson learned: always, always, always check your lines thoroughly before you launch. This is even more important on a self launch because you don't get to see your lines tensioned until the kite is already in the air.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 20, 14 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

dang, that could have been so much worse. glad you are relatively okay and not really messed up

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Sep 20, 14 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

I have your board. -A.K.

jmmorford

Since 26 Oct 2009
21 Posts

PostSat Sep 20, 14 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

Dude, thanks so much for getting my board. How can I reach you?

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Sep 20, 14 10:31 pm     Reply with quote

PM sent

Since 22 May 2008
145 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 21, 14 7:38 am     Reply with quote

I saw the accident and was the one who chased you down and stopped you from getting drug any further; my buddy, a nurse, was also nearby and helped with initial care. Having seen how violent the crash was and how far you were drug unconscious down the beach, I'm extremely relieved to hear you're doing so well, and that you'll be getting your board back.
It was a scary situation to say the least, and along with the lessons you mentioned, I'd like to add two more to the list for anyone who might be reading this. First: Self launching in 35+ wind is not a good idea. If other kiters are around, play it safe and ask for a launch. Second, if you are the one watching someone do something potentially disastrous, don't hesitate to step-in and offer to help. The reason I witnessed the whole incident is because I saw how unsafe the situation looked and was wondering if I should help. I should have ran over and helped before it was too late.
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 22, 14 4:19 am     Reply with quote

At places where I'm not sure if I can get a land or launch like Rooster, Jones, & the coast, I setup a fixed point. Harbor Freight has 2" webbing with forged hooks that are around 12' long and only 10ish dollars. It lets me easily take a break or change gear mid session. I actually feel a bit safer doing this than having unknown kiters launch me but you need to have nice sand to let the kite bounce on

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Sep 22, 14 7:20 am     Reply with quote

Several of us here have the Midwest Air Tech/Import earth anchors for self land/launch. Mostly for emergencies or last in / last out. The ones we use are pretty heavy duty because of the grip needed in the muddy, silt, sandy and wet ground - plus the average wind is Turnagain is 32mph with unfavorable gusts - which as we all just read is not advised for self cross field launches.

Two climbing rated carabiners on each end of a 3' piece of climb rated webbing. To install / remove the anchor (in case you can't leave it) we carry 1" hardwood dowel about 15" long. Fits perfectly in to the opening of the anchor.

Put a piece of flagging tape on it so people don't trip. Only time I've seen one bend or be compromised was after the State Road crew was out mowing the right of way near the launch and the blade of the brush hog bent it over, but didn't break it.

Self launching not the first choice but since our group is small and seasonal were often out alone or the last one in.

Earth Anchor
 Earth Anchor  earth anchor.jpg 

www.freeridekiting.com

pro sthetic

Since 01 Oct 2012
6 Posts
pdx
Kook

PostMon Sep 22, 14 8:05 am     Reply with quote

were you on a green kite, upwind of everyone else?

jmmorford

Since 26 Oct 2009
21 Posts

PostMon Sep 22, 14 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

I was on a green kite upwind of many, but down wind of a group at the east end of the beach. I was kiting near a couple of other guys, but not heavy traffic.

I got a chance yesterday to talk to one of the guys who came to my aid. His version of what happened is consistent with what I remember (summarized above). I really appreciate the guys who chased me down when I was being drug unconscious down the beach. I also connected yesterday with AK who returned my board. The kiting community has a lot of "community" going for it. Thanks, again, to all of you.

I agree with the criticism about doing a self launch in high winds, although I think my mistake with the safetly line would have ended badly in any wind with a kite sized for the day. I had already launched a couple of times without incident. My final launch also would have been fine but for the safety line being wrapped around the bar. The only ways to prevent that are: (1) check your lines very carefully before launching; and (2) have a buddy launch you or use an anchor as mentioned above so that you can see your lines clearly when they are first tensioned.

I won't forget these lessons anytime soon. I'm still sore all over from taking a beating from the kite.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 22, 14 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

Were you on a Ocean Rodeo Rise by chance?

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostMon Sep 22, 14 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

I would add, not leashing into the safety on self launches until your sure the lines are clear. That way you have a single release for the kite at the chicken loop. Also, in high winds always launch with the kite towards the water so you don't have to take the kite past 12.

rightguard

Since 22 Oct 2012
29 Posts
Maui

PostMon Sep 22, 14 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

I always believed in the launch towards the water but not sure if it really is the best.

If you have a problem the kite will usually loop and pull you away from the direction you launch. For that reason some say it is better to launch away from the water.

Of coarse I still don't know and usually launch toward the water but then I've never messed up a launch... At least not yet.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 23, 14 6:04 am     Reply with quote

I think there are some kite models that inherently increase the likelihood that one of the lines get wrapped around the tip. It is the only thing during a launch that still gets me from time to time. If the kiteboarding industry had not introduced a reliable quick release ~2010 I would be a maimed kevin right now.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 23, 14 9:39 am     Reply with quote

when i was at Rooster last week, everyone was launching kites closer to land and bringing the kite over to the water. I thought this was because the launcher did not have to pick up the kite and move it in the crazy 40mph wind.
Is this correct?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: