Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hurricane odile
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostMon Sep 15, 14 7:28 am    Hurricane odile Reply with quote

Small kite day.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep5+shtml/145206.shtml?hwind120?large#contents

http://www.bajajoe.com/Web_Cam.htm[url]

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 15, 14 8:10 am     Reply with quote

if you were going to baja in the next few days
might want to postpone for bit

La Ventana and Los Barriles will have new beaches when you get there!

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostMon Sep 15, 14 4:04 pm    La Ventana Report Reply with quote

http://www.la-ventana.info/t591-hurricanes-2014

from Dean

monday... 9/15 5pm we experienced way more wind than projected plus it changed from it was going to be nothing to category 4 so I and others were not prepared for what it gave us. We though maybe 70mph winds and fruck it was well over 100mph at 2 am. My place is a disaster. Nothing that severe, but a mess.

Cabo is a nightmare from what I heard. Hit by cat 3. so they will not be fixing our problems for a long time, maybe 4 or more weeks. I am borrowing Tom And Carols generator... thanks so much... it is amazing how much of a relief that is alone. It is such a burden when you reply on the internet for all things.

My phone did not work this morning and did by noon, so needed a generator. Told afew people they could use my phone and already have people coming over to use the internet.

The winds as I said were way higher than forecasted. so most of us were not prepared in the fact that you do things different in expecting 70mph vs over 100mph winds.. Plus it changed with one days notice. For instance I did not take my shade cloth down where I do if it is 100 mph. It destroyed anything with shade cloth.

Many business signs are gone, many electric and phone poles are down. Most down are from el Teso plaza to the police station. the base ball field section is the worst area because they had not replaced those poles. But not nearly as many as hurricane john because CFE really has upgraded our system with the concrete poles, only the wood ones failed again, so initial only about 5-10 poles are a problem. In reality CFE could give power to about 80% of the residents by cutting the wires at the downed poles. I do not think they will want to lose the integrity of a unspoiled main wire is the issue.

OXXO has a broken window. other than that I have not seen broken windows.

the rain damage is minimal. Arroys did not flow. all basically wind damage.

I will take some pictures shortly.

lekaks

Since 02 Apr 2008
151 Posts
Hood River, OR
Stoked

PostMon Sep 15, 14 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to those pics.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 15, 14 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Dean, sounds like the cabo airport lost most of it's roof! 13+ inches of rain

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 15, 14 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

The arroyos from Los Barrilles south to Cabo were flowing heavy. La Ventana had more wind damage.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 15, 14 6:50 pm     Reply with quote

John,

Have you heard anything about our El Teso area houses?

Eric

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 15, 14 7:24 pm     Reply with quote

No reports yet

retz

Since 06 Aug 2007
130 Posts
west linn
Stoked

PostTue Sep 16, 14 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Any word on Puerta Vallarta area? I'm heading to Sayulita/Punta Mita to surf in 10 days.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 16, 14 8:39 am     Reply with quote

Another tropical storm is heading for Baja and turning into a hurricane as it collects warm water. It might have more of a NW path. It is affecting the mainland right now.http://www.eebmike.com/

retz

Since 06 Aug 2007
130 Posts
west linn
Stoked

PostTue Sep 16, 14 9:08 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the site Moondog......surf could be really good.....or really bad.......

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 16, 14 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

Just received an email from my contractor. Basically don't go La Ventana for at least a month. No gas, power or phone. Lots of tree, palapa, window, shade cloth, and cosmetic damage. Minor flood damage. This was the most severe hurricane to hit baja in recorded history according to one forecaster. The biggest problem now is what hurricane Polo does in the next 48 hours.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 17, 14 8:13 am     Reply with quote

Baja is a war zone, here are some sites to check out photos: FaceBook: TalkBaja or https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 18, 14 11:18 am     Reply with quote

Latest from Baja. The area being a mess is a mass understatement. What are other good wind winter destinations?

A bit more hurricane info.... a La Paz radio interview .. a calmer voice:

http://pforadio.com/listen-cabo-san-lucas-la-paz-deteriorating-people-missing-food-running-looting/

========================================
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/
==============================

Courtesy of the Gringo Gazette: September 17, 2014 (Thx to Pony Express)

President Peņa Nieto is in La Paz with his cabinet.
The road to La Paz is passable but it's down to one lane.
Food is running out fast, most of the stores have been looted.
The mexican government started to airlift the more than 30,000 stranded tourists from Cabo to Tijuana, Mazatlan, Guadalajara and Mexico City in government and commercial airplanes free of charge since yesterday.
The Cabo airport is not working with the exception of government flights.
La Paz airport is working, some tourists are driving up to La Paz to take a plane.
David Flores, our editor in Cabo has counted 75 Electric Poles that are down on the ground, he says the real number could be more than double that.
There are 200 CFE trucks on their way to Cabo from mainland Mexico and northern Baja
The mexican government and different associations are flying in food to La Paz, the government will be distributing the food.
There is only one single OXXO in Cabo that hasn't been looted.
There is a collpased bridge south of Los Barriles so nobody can get to San Jose from Los Barriles.
You probably won't hear from your loved ones in Cabo or La Paz until the power grid is restored, this doesn't mean something bad happened to them, there is just no communication.

++
The main storm surge came at night and after power went out, so nothing much to see during that dark and stormy night. The bridge at Cuaduaņa is said to have collapsed (haven't seen that yet) but the road to La Paz is supposedly open now. There were lots of rocks and such past the BA bridge on the hillside going up to the over look of the San Bartolo arroyo but the lane opposite the hill was clear and most of that debris is now moved. Santa Cruz was passable today into La Ribera, but the beach road lost about 12 feet just past the entrance to the marina.
Internet was out for 30+ hours or so after Odile headed north and cut the fiber optic lines around Mulege, but seems to have returned now along with long distance calling. Tuesday only had local land line calls.
Cell service still seems to be mostly gone as of now. If you need to make a call from the states, call someone you know with a land line number as those seem to be working now. Or email, but people will need generator power to get the latter.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 18, 14 6:43 pm     Reply with quote

Report as of noon Sept. 18 from Cabo

<<
Pepita Nelson
6 hrs ago
From group: HEART FOR CABO
IMPORTANT ANNOUMNCEMENT!!!!
I just off the phone with a good Mexican friend Jay Vazquez that is at ground zero. He has been spending a lot of time on the streets of Cabo. We spoke for an hour and this is what he told me. Very good news. Also my girlfriend spoke to her aunt that lives by Soriana in San Lucas who confirmed this information is true.
1) The stories of gangs driving the streets with machetes and guns is highly exagerated. He said he has heard of some isolated incidents of a few home robberies and that was it. He said that the streets have been peaceful. No riots or fires. He has not seen one vehicle driving around with gangs in it. He told me that some of the Mexicans out of fear have spread exaggerated stories of multiple home break in's which in turn the gringos heard which in turn made the gringos scared to death leading them to barracade their neighborhoods especially when they see other people doing it. Yes some homes have been brokren into. It's caused a wide spread panic out of fear of danger that doesn't even exist. My friend has been moving freely around San Lucas and San Jose each day and has not seen any violence or gangs. That doesn't go to say that he is seeing everything so if you have actual 'facts' of anything else and are confident of the information please report it but only if you know it's not gossip created out of fear.
2) 14 prisoners broke out of jail but they did not start gangs. They simple broke out and are no where to be found but they are not running gangs.
3) The looting at Costco went like this. Costco told their employees and families that they could go in and take the necessities they need with military patrol overseeing the area. When other locals saw this they felt that they should be able to join in and proceeded to get what they wanted which caused it to be disorderly but not violent. The military could not really stop them without shooting so they let people take things and even things that they really didn't need like tvs. However it was not a forced violent entry and started off with the permission of Costco. This has been the case with some other businesses as well. It's not to discredit the fact that some stores have actually been broken and looted in Los Cabos.
4) He said the basic needs are water and food. So we must continue to raise funds to donate to legitimate organizations that will deliver them asap!
5) He is seeing CFE starting to put up temporary power and phone lines. Some areas he is being told will have electricity in 3-4 days but not all areas
6) He is seeing more and more military come in steadily and restoring order
7) He said the government is doing a great job in making things happen very quickly
Cool Roads between San Jose and San Lucas are clear and safe to travel
9) He said he is feeling peace where ever he goes and no sense of fear
I think it's important we spread this news while still telling our friends and families there to be alert in protecting their areas as there will still be those that will steal and take advantage of the situation.
Help is on the way and people will be fed and have water. Continue to pray because the prayers are working and continue to pray for this next hurricane to go west as it seems to be headed that way more and more very second.
Please forgive me if I posted anything different yesterday as I was being giving information from people on the ground in San Lucas that were feeding off the fear of others who may have actually experience a isolated event in the area.
I think we can find a lot of peace in todays information as we continue to pray and believe with confidence that everyone will be OK and taken care of. Let's focus our energy, efforts and thoughts on building support for supplies so that we can get them there as soon as Baja roads clear. Remember "fear is faith contaminated". I need to practice what I preach!
Godspeed!
PLEASE REPOST EVERYWHERE!!!!!
Like>>

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 21, 14 6:57 am     Reply with quote

Here is a good info website and video of what Odile did, the good news is Polo is dissipating and heading West, Ya mon!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 21, 14 6:57 am     Reply with quote

http://www.bajainsider.com/weather/hurricanes/odilevideocabosanlucas.html#.VBwuIyHcubs.gmail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: