Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Someone kite under the 205 bridge today, please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Sep 11, 14 8:52 am    Someone kite under the 205 bridge today, please Reply with quote

I guess my thread needs it's own identity, hence the post.

RR is nuked out or for those with 4.5m kite or smaller. One option is to kite Broughton Beach. . .

Found the pictures, see first post link. . . one of those days that Rooster is nuked out. If your jones’in for a session, one can point sail at Broughton Beach on Marine Drive. WATCH OUT for broken glass and other trash. And if you want to make an insurance claim, make sure to leave something visible in your car while your out kiting as some of the beach trash have legs and arms.

Broughton Beach can be the take-out for a downwinder on the Oregon side. The exciting part of the downwinder would be launching from the riprap rocky banks. Probably need a kite caddie and have someone hold the kite on top on the dike and have you being in the water. Don’t know of any sandy launches and or if Chinook boat landing would work. I think that boat ramp is like 181st/Blue lake.

I’ve point sailed before at Broughton beach, but have never done a downwinder and or went under the i-205 bridge before.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-852.html&highlight=i205

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-842.html&highlight=i205
[url]

I-205 underneath crossing.jpg 

nosbocaj

Since 19 Jul 2014
28 Posts
Portland

PostFri Sep 12, 14 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

I'd love to do this. My smallest is a 10m, so Rooster is too much. Thinking about checking it out soon.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 12, 14 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

I thought about trying to shoot the 205 bridge and checked out a beach on the Wa side to launch from.

Unfortunately the wind was very light and not clean at all so I went to the airport.

nosbocaj

Since 19 Jul 2014
28 Posts
Portland

PostFri Sep 12, 14 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

Bummer. 45 mph at Rooster, nothing here.

I might still check it out here soon. If somebody sees a white BMW driving around the river it's me...

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 12, 14 4:06 pm    Rooster Friday 9-12 Reply with quote

Was at Rooster from 11-2 on a 5m. Twintip at first but it dropped to surfboard halfway. For some reason the wind speeds don't seem to match the sensor or the warm wind is significantly less powerful than I'm used to. Forecast is for more typical winds the next two days (low 20's am dropping off at 2pm). Around 10m now

newgraph.gif 

Gator

Since 15 Sep 2012
41 Posts
Portland

PostFri Sep 12, 14 11:47 pm     Reply with quote

Rode the 12m from 5 til sunset at RR. Right before sunset with nobody else left on the water it picked up significantly. Got some fun boosts in before it got too strong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: