Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

max pressure in 6m RPM??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 20, 14 9:30 pm    max pressure in 6m RPM?? Reply with quote

My 6m is too soft at 9psi. Pumped it up to 13psi for session today and it was gusty, but session was awesome because kite kept its shape. How high can I pump it before it pops?

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 20, 14 9:34 pm     Reply with quote

Mine is very hard at 7 to 8 lbs.

I always wonder the accuracy of these psi gauges, at least I can be consistent using them, but how can I compare my PSI reading to someone elses ?? 9psi and soft, that doesn't make sense to what I'm seeing with my gauge.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 20, 14 10:12 pm     Reply with quote

The cheapo pressure gauges on kite pumps are complete garbage. Take them off. Pump till rock hard. Done.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 20, 14 10:59 pm     Reply with quote

Come on people, it's so simple. Pump it up till it's Pamela Anderson Babe Watch tight. I pump mine 9.5 to 10 psi for my kites.
Last edited by Sasquatch on Thu Aug 21, 14 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Gorgegezzer

Since 14 Jan 2007
67 Posts

PostThu Aug 21, 14 4:29 am    A better gauge Reply with quote

I bought a Campbell 4509295 gauge at Ace Hardware for $13. It goes to 30 lbs. It compared favorably in accuracy to a friend's more expensive gauge.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 21, 14 7:08 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
The cheapo pressure gauges on kite pumps are complete garbage. Take them off. Pump till rock hard. Done.

I always wonder where that limit is, rock hard or popped.
I popped my first kite. it was old to begin with so not surprising.
so, for 3 years now I have been pumping til it pings when you flick it.
But i've wondered would a couple extra pumps pop it?

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 21, 14 7:58 am     Reply with quote

When it was at 9 psi could you fold the kite in half? If so I feel that your gauge might not be correct.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 21, 14 7:58 am     Reply with quote

I can pump it up like Pam Anderson! Thanks all for your help. I do like my kites tight.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 21, 14 8:00 am     Reply with quote

consumer wrote:
When it was at 9 psi could you fold the kite in half? If so I feel that your gauge might not be correct.

Not quite in half, but when a gust would hit (I'm 200#), the kite would start to really taco and just felt nasty.

PDXF

Since 10 Sep 2008
116 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 21, 14 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Mine goes to eleven...

LapDog

Since 19 Dec 2008
66 Posts
White Salmon

PostThu Aug 21, 14 8:26 am     Reply with quote

I'm 210lb and my Rally's feel solid at 8-9psi.

The North pump pressure gauge seems like a quality piece, although I haven't calibrated it.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
534 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 21, 14 8:44 am     Reply with quote

I pump until it is noticeably difficult to pull the pump handle completely up, then I try for ten half pumps, and then maybe 5 quarters. The 10 halfs and 5 quarters are really just a mental guide line, kind of a measure i guess. To test I grab it by the end of the wing tip and flap it to make sure its stiff.

Not saying my way is better or simpler, or using a guage is unnecessary. This just works for me and so far has been pretty universal on any gear Ive rigged.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Aug 21, 14 9:01 am     Reply with quote

The gauges actually need to be replaced regularly. It's not that they are cheap, it's the over pressure pulse that goes into them with every pump. That pulse damages the gauge and eventually renders it useless. Also, even a very small foreign object--like a sand grain--will wreak havoc on the internals. Eventually you'll send a bit of dirt or sand into the gauge. I pick them up cheap online and change them out every few months.

dyyylan

Since 14 May 2014
26 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Aug 21, 14 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Once you stop looking at a[n inaccurate] pump gauge it gets pretty easy to tell when to stop pumping. i pump mine until they ping when you flick them, but still have a little bit of give if you squeeze the leading edge. i have to pump my fuels rather hard so they don't taco when I relaunch, so you get used to how that feels when pumping it up

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Aug 21, 14 9:37 am     Reply with quote

Another method that isn't exact but puts you in the right ball park is to count how many pumps that go into pumping up one's kite correctly.

Gator

Since 15 Sep 2012
41 Posts
Portland

PostThu Aug 21, 14 9:58 am     Reply with quote

I think using a gauge is a great easy way to be consistent. But they are not accurate. Every since I flew my gear to SF my gauge reads 2 PSI off of what it used to due to the pressure change in flight. Now I pump just over a reading of 9 but I'm pretty sure it is still ~7.

MarkWorth

Since 02 May 2011
149 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostFri Aug 22, 14 11:19 am     Reply with quote

As you pump the kite up, stop and hold the left side leading edge on the ground and flick the right side of the leading edge with your finger. If you flick the same place every time (2 feet off center + or -) you get a very specific pitch that varies with the pressure. Each kite sounds different, big ones have a lower pitch.
If it makes a dull thump it’s not pumped up. Once the pitch starts to change you are getting there and are at the bottom of the range. If it makes a plink sound, you are probably going to blow a seam, back off if the kite still flies well with a less pressure.
You can go a little soft or a little hard without problems. A kite with insufficient pressure may grab the gusts instead of driving through them, and will tangle, invert and get twisted during crashes and when relaunching. If the kite tacos on relaunch (or when you pump it up) or any collapsing of the leading edge when it’s loaded, are signs of under inflation.
When you find the pressure that stabilizes the kite and makes it perform well , check the sound, and next time pump to that same sound.

http://gorgekiteboardschool.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: