Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting on Oahu an update from transplanted Oregonion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostWed Jul 02, 14 8:11 am    Kiting on Oahu an update from transplanted Oregonion Reply with quote

Aloha kakaiaka!
Well I've been in Oahu since May 30th and I just wanted to check in with ya all in Oregon. I'm getting the lay of the land here and have some advice for kiters and windsurfers alike coming over to visit Oahu.
Oahu is by far the most fun Island in terms of beach access, free stuff to do, snorkeling, SUP'n and surfing.
For kids there are parks, hikes, and Waikiki is just non stop fun with people watching, street artists and highly motivated Japanese shoppers. There is something for everyone out here.

The main kite beach is Kailua town. Kailua is usually blowing trades 14 to 16 average, like a fan. Bring your big kite and your big board. Your biggest twin tip, surfboard, skim will allow you to get up wind and stay there. Kailua is a ENE trade wind spot that usaully picks up around 1pm, but can blow earlier. There are no time restrictions on when you can kite, but parking can be a hassle on weekends.
It's a nice beach, but very busy with lots of people walking and swimming. The launch can be a bit light, so ask someone for help. Most people will help you launch and tell you how to do it. There are showers, nice shade trees, and lot's of room to run and play on the beach. There is also a designated swimming area directly in front and up wind of the launching area. This place is packed on weekends and after 4pm on workdays as well. It's a beautiful beach and really fun kiting. I've seen a couple of windsurfers, but only on stronger days.

On the North side is Mokuleia Beach a little slice of thermal heaven. This has become my go to spot as wind is consistent. The trades, ENE, are a bit stronger than the ikitesurf wind meter indicates on most days. I weigh 208lbs and kite 15 to 17 on a 14mtr. RPM and a 6 foot surfboard(strapped). If its blowing average of 18 or above I go 12 meter, if it's above 20mph average I go 10mtr all RPMs, surfboard or teerex.
In general I'm seeing mostly 8's, 9's and 10's with some 11's and 12's. I usually have the biggest kite and tend to be upwind in the surf as much as possible.

Moks is awesome, but the launch can be interesting. There is a reef with a path that you should follow in and out. If you come in at really low tides be careful and take care of your feet.

So far these are the 2 spots that I have been to for kiting. I'll update as I get out on the other spots, but so far these are the easiest based on parking and access for launching.

I'm gonna be going to Maui on July 24th and will be there until December. I'm looking forward to the stronger winds on Maui. I miss Oregon and look at the wind reports and long for a solid 8, 10 day with big airs.

If you are thinking of coming over to Oahu the YMCA in Waikiki has monthly rentals for decent prices. Bring your snorkeling gear, bike and big surfboard or twin tip. Bring your big kites!

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 02, 14 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Any TopHat stories from Mokuleia? I love that guy.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostWed Jul 02, 14 9:41 am    No, but I do see him Reply with quote

The guy is super nice. I asked him how many hats he has lost and he said, "3." LOL
He's a master kite and the first guy that I saw really going strapless in Hood River. He's always in the best part of the wave.
Very nice guy.

David

Since 10 Jun 2013
11 Posts
Beaverton

PostThu Jul 03, 14 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info! I'm planning to come in January or February; do you know if the wind is any good then?

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Jul 04, 14 10:48 am    Oahu report, "You know what to do with that big fat..& Reply with quote

You'll need to click on wind stats, http://iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=159&siteID=1631&Isection=Wind+Yesterday
Ikitesurf.com has all the wind archive data for each site, including Moks and Kailua.

On a random note some clothing recommendations, lol. Bring all of your non cotton wear. Button up short sleeves with board shorts is about all that I'm wearing and that's formal. Flip flops and a pair of running shoes along with my snorkeling gear are my most used equipment. It's hot and cotton makes you sweat.

This graph represents what the averages for each month within 15, 20, 25mph avarages. February has some windy days in the 20plus range, but the quantity of total windy days goes down with respect to 20mph and less.

Bring your big kites, and your big twin tip boards. Kailua Beach is always blowing a light 15mph. If you are powered up you will be able to cruise upwind and have some fun. If not you'll still be able to kite, but will go downwind. The folks having the best time are on large twin tips, 160's, and 14 to 17mtr. kites. I'm able to get by on a 14mtr. RPM with a surfboard but I wish I had a bigger board or kite. I weigh 210 and kite powered up, because I'm from Oregon.

In Feb. there are some swells and you'll need to be aware of them as they can be big and over shallow reef or sand. Kailua is the best place to start if you come to Oahu. Kailua is side shore with limited beach and lot's of people in the water. Be careful to respect the launching and landing procedures here as the kites are on probation with the community. Keep your kite over the water going out and coming in. If you end up downwind bring your kite over to waterside and run upwind. Don't fly it over peoples heads they will get pissed. The beach is narrow and really narrow at high tide.
Kailua is a blast! It's great for kids and you can rent kayaks, snorkeling gear, and see the paddling community cranking it out on weekends. Kailua has nice bathrooms, water is good to drink and parking is doable if you are patient. Make sure to bring a cooler and some food as there are no stores close by to get stuff at.

Mokuleia is almost straight on shore wind. Most guys here self launch, but I do a static off the fence upwind, or I ask for a launch. The waves can get really big really quick on the north shore, Moks is North Shore. Respect the reef at Moks or it'll serve you up some rash and eventually staff infection, sea urchins, and it's "shark infested", omg.

In general what I'm seeing at Moks is smaller kites with really floaty surfboards. I was out yesterday on a 14 mtr. and my teerex. I was upwind and loving it all day, but the reef was right below me on some small breaking waves, 1 foot or less with a couple of 2 footers. Moks is not for someone who falls off the board frequently, or is not comfortable with relaunching a kite in deep water. Keep your kite up here and be aware of the reef below you. If you can go out at High tide.

I see a couple windsurfing here on a regular basis. The dude is about 70 and in great shape as well as his wife, super fit. They are both on Angulo 9foot6 floaty waves boards with 6mtr sails killing it. I asked him about conditions and he said as long as you have a floaty board and a 6 to 6.5 wave sail your good. He weighs about 185 soaking wet. I don't think he dropped his sail once the whole time I was out, he's a solid poledancer.

Mokuleia has showers and port or potties, but is less family friendly for small kids. If your kids are good swimmers and like to snorkel this is a good spot, but you will need to keep an eye on em here as the kites come really close to shore. Moks is less crowded than Kailua and usually there is plenty of parking.

IMG_3588.PNG 

David

Since 10 Jun 2013
11 Posts
Beaverton

PostFri Jul 11, 14 9:55 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks! I've got this bookmarked so I can reference it when I'm planning my trip. January doesn't look like the best month to visit, but that's what I may have to do because of work.

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostSat Jul 12, 14 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

if you think Kailua is always 15 mph, fall will have a bad and sometimes (rare) good surprise for you Wink

Summer is pretty steady tho Smile
Maybe not write about all spots as we do get some threats at some

David...some of the best days on Oahu is in winter...but it is a complete toin coss.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Jul 14, 14 8:22 am    Mokulei Beach Reply with quote

Winter weather patterns are completely different, but most people are going to visit in the summer and maybe Christmas.

Mokuleia is by far the most accessible spot for Advanced kiters coming from the Gorge. It's a bit of a drive but well worth the effort to get here if you are staying in Honolulu.

It's been relatively flat, but some 1 to 2 foot waves as a small swell has come in and is supposed to get better today.

Super fun, but light winds compared to Kanaha,

Cheers,
r

IMG_0848.jpg 

drtaamc

Since 24 Jul 2008
118 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 22, 14 4:22 pm     Reply with quote

Mokes on a fun head high day in the Spring. 4th session of the day. Decided to mix it up with the twin tip for fun.

Looking for the Channel Cropped.jpg 
   1326255366229.jpg 

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostWed Aug 13, 14 7:53 am    Maui No Ka Oi! Swell a commin! Reply with quote

Iselle and Julio decided to leave us alone, for the most part. On thursday and friday the islands were shut down and the govt. sent everyone home. The tension was real and all the water was gone. I took a trip to Cash and Carry and stoked up on beer, water, duct tape and salsa. My roommates and I prepped the windows for the forecasted 120mph. winds and stuffed towels in the doors to soak up the rain. YEAHHH!! Iselle missed and then we waited for the big boy Julio! He decided to go north! Lucky, we were very, very fortunate that the double header missed us.
The silver lining in this set of clouds was 2 days off to enjoy the water, wind and relatively muggy weather.

Maui's main spot for kiting is Kanaha Park. It's no secret that this long beautiful beach is a windsurfing and kite surfing paradise. There is parking, showers, and tons of port o potties.

Winds are usually ENE trades and steady freddy. Occasionally, the winds will turn more east and this makes for a challenging wind shadow when launching your kite. Usually there is someone to launch your kite at Old Man's or Teach Beach, but at Ka'a(pro beach) your on your own. The self launch is the only option as the wind shadow is constant at this site. Be aware that the "pros" who kite here are very intent on "kooks" blocking the flat trick spot directly in front of the beach. Get out quickly and go upwind to "Po's".
The trades have been strong and we are having a bit of wind swell from Julio. The forecast yesterday was 5 to 10 foot waves on all east facing shores.
Today should be a great day with some nice waves.
*When you come to Hawaii it's a good idea to slow down and watch. As I've been here I've started to enjoy the slow pace and kind people. Make sure to slow down and be respectful of the locals.
**If you come to Maui make sure to respect zones! http://www.mauikiteboardingassociation.com/kitemaps.html

Ka'a
 Ka'a  photo-34.JPG 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: