Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
AlterEgo

Since 25 Jul 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon Aug 04, 14 6:08 pm    Kite recommendation Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a 46yo 6' 185lb advanced freeride/wave rider but spend more time freeriding because I dont live near the ocean. I mostly ride a smaller strapped directional, which I boost and do most of my tricks on with some basic kitelooping. I am currently on Rebels but am looking to branch out and perhaps get something a little less grunty (with a little less bar pressure) and a little quicker and smoother. So far others have recommended the Evo. Any recommendations?

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 05, 14 10:10 am     Reply with quote

Dice

kitesurfvacation.com

Since 11 Nov 2012
6 Posts
mexico
Kook

PostTue Aug 12, 14 11:39 am     Reply with quote

The Notus from Zeeko kite
www.kiteboardingspotsmexico.com

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 12, 14 11:48 am     Reply with quote

I tested the Dice and Evo in Baja last winter.
Both kites are excellent A+. They fit your requirements.
Are you local to Hood River? You can get demos from Big Winds.
The Dice was the smoothest kite I've ever ridden. I could feel a big difference in my transitions - perfectly smooth.
The EVO excelled in jumping, upwind, range, and overall feel.

MarkWorth

Since 02 May 2011
149 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostTue Aug 12, 14 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

try the Switchblade
it's faster(flyes futher foward in the window) and softer in the gust then the Rebels

http://gorgekiteboardschool.com

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 12, 14 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

Might want to look at the Cabrinha Drifter... a friend of mine just got some and loves them (maybe he'll chime in). I've flown the earlier EVO, but the 2014 is apparently a fairly significant departure from all the previous models as far as design goes, so a demo would be key.

Haven't met anyone that didn't love a Switchblade. The one I flew seemed to have pretty hefty bar pressure, I'd actually say more than a Rebel... but this could have just been the bar settings on each kite. Great kite though.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 12, 14 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Love my Switchblades. Given variable/gusty conditions, its a kite you can be overpowered on and still be in control.

I had the opportunity to compare the Evo 12M against a Switchblade 12M side by side and prefer the SwitchBlade...

That being said..

- I do like a four line/single front line flag out safety system as I have had confidence this system works very well.
- There's not a huge difference in any of the kites and in my comparisons between SwitchBlade and Evo, its likely I would have found the next size up in the Evo comparable to the SwitchBlade... Hard to tell whats 12M these days as all the kite manufacturers fudge the numbers a little.
- Personally itching to try out a Slingshot Rally Wink

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 12, 14 3:50 pm    Ozone Rio's Reply with quote

I'm hearing good things about this kite and the C-4s. I like the idea of bigger capacity valves for inflating and deflating (saves lots of time).

skent

Since 08 Aug 2011
170 Posts
North Bend, WA & Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostTue Aug 12, 14 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

I have flown Switchblades for the past 5+ years and love them. Boosts great and handles the gusts in the Gorge like a charm. I have never used anything but Switchblades so I can't make any comparisons to other kites. Cabrinha (and North) are more on the pricer side of the kite brands but the build quality of the kite and bar is worth the extra cost to me. I demoed a Cabrinha Drifter about four weeks ago and loved it so much I pretty much went back to Big Winds and bought a quiver of them that someday. The Drifter is AMAZING!! I use to mostly ride my TT and only on occasion my directional but once I tried the Drifter I fell in love with riding my directional in the Gorge and on the coast. It's amazing how well it "drifts" while you ride the swell/waves. It also turns on a dime!! It still works great with my TT but just doesn't boost as high as the Switchblade. The 2014 & 2015 control bar (Overdrive 1X) is pretty sweet. You only need one bar now because it is adjustable and lets you adjust the bar length on the fly. I highly suggest you demo one. Now is a great time buy because you can pick up the 2014 Drifters for a good price (in the stores or in the classifieds). I weigh 145lb so I bought a 2014 5.5m Drifter, 8m Drifter and 10m Switchblade (I also have a 2012 12m Switchblade). I chose to go with the Drifter's for my smaller kites and Switchblades for my bigger kites. When it is windier the swell is going to be bigger and that is when I am going to want to play on my directional and lower wind means time to play on my TT. If I had to choose between the kites I would probably go with the Drifter.

CGKA Member

AndyD

Since 17 Mar 2008
53 Posts
Bend, OR

PostTue Aug 12, 14 6:09 pm     Reply with quote

It sounds like our riding is similar (50 yrs, 200 lbs, freeride and waves when I can get them). I switched to Drifters 2 years ago and absolutely love them. I just picked up a new 2015 quiver from Big Winds. Give them a try. The new Pivot also looks interesting but I love what I'm flying so I figured why switch.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 12, 14 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

Funny. I recommended the Dice. Then I demoed it and others mentioned above... All nice kites. But ended up going with a bunch of Bandits!

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 13, 14 5:59 am     Reply with quote

Demoed the 2014 Evo and felt like it was the perfect kite for me. Had perhaps 15% less boost than the Rebel but was smoother, quicker, looped better, had less bar pressure and more drift than the Rebel. Plus I am still way happy with 5 lines. Rebels are great kites and will keep them in my quiver. Sometimes after 5 years on the same kite, things just get stale and you need a change just because...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: