Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboarding on Banks lake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
AlexZotov

Since 23 Jun 2014
6 Posts

Kook

PostMon Aug 11, 14 4:12 pm    Kiteboarding on Banks lake? Reply with quote

Has anybody heard of kiteboarding @ Banks lake? Tips, pointers?

We will be there wakeboarding a few days this week and debating whether to bring kite gear. I know it gets windy there with typical NW-ly pushes in the afternoon. I remember a friend launched a couple of years ago but complained about gusty up and down nature of the wind and didn't do it for long.

If it reasonable, then were is the best launch? (park, or southern tip of the Steamboat Rock island? or elsewhere?)

Cheers
Alex

dpow

Since 13 May 2011
83 Posts
Seattle, WA

PostMon Aug 11, 14 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

I was there all weekend and it would get a little wind in the afternoon but definitely not enough to kite. The one time I did get enough wind it was super gusty, but that was years ago.

You can probably launch from one of the beaches at the state park, if the wind is the right direction.

Bring mosquito repellent and lots of it if you are staying at the park. They were nearly unbearable.

Good Luck!

henjj

Since 09 Dec 2010
25 Posts
Spokane

PostTue Aug 12, 14 6:12 am     Reply with quote

I grew up in the Coulee and get back there at least once a year. Never have brought kiting gear but have thought about it. On Google maps there is a spot called "Banks Lake Wildlife Recreation Area". There are some dirt roads off the main road (155) that get you to some areas that would be decent to rig up. Watch for rattle snakes. I remember in high school we would be out in our boat and if the weather was hot enough snakes would swim out about 100 feet from the shore and just sit on the water coiled up (to cool off?). Made you think twice about wakeboarding on the really hot days! Post back and let us know if you have any success.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 12, 14 11:21 am     Reply with quote

Awesome lake for boating, don't think it would work well for kiting. Lakes in general are usually real gusty.

krueg

Since 16 Feb 2010
51 Posts
Wenatchee Wa

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 12, 14 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

There's a few guys that kite at Banks. Better chance of getting wind in the spring or fall though. It can blow there in the summer but not to often. Wannago on this forum can tell you all about it, he's probablly benn there the most. This week, however looks pretty sketchy with all of the thunderstorms forecasted. If you go, post pics!

Always bring kite gear when near water. you won't regret bringing it, But you will regret leaving it home.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: