Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

High Wind Downloop Transitions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 11, 14 5:28 pm    High Wind Downloop Transitions Reply with quote

Any recommendation with downloop transitions with high wind?
On twintip, let’s say wind is 25+

I can easily downloop transitions with 10m and 8m light wind, need some advice in stronger conditions

lloyd

Since 16 Aug 2007
108 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostFri Jul 11, 14 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

What problem are you having?

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostSat Jul 12, 14 6:50 am     Reply with quote

Good downwind speed and landing going straight downwind is key, so practice on smooth water behind a spit or tules. The extra speed keeps you from getting ripped forward so hard, and also positions you back under your kite more as you come in so the downloop is more overhead and can even soften your landing.
At first, loop later as you land, then gradually start looping sooner.
Downwind speed can be increased by leaving your kite past 12 longer through the boost, or better yet counter-stroking back and forth with exaggerated pendulum effect.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 12, 14 8:12 am     Reply with quote

grip the bar and rip it!
the faster you send the kite the smoother it will be .... really.

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostSat Jul 12, 14 9:07 am     Reply with quote

My first post referred to downloop transitions from a boost, but the same principle applies without the boost: keep board speed high into and through the turn with a straight downwind course as you loop the kite.

jperry

Since 07 Nov 2008
188 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jul 12, 14 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

so what every one else said. i just wrote this and then i read every ones post. so i might as well say it.

speed equals lift

lift equals power

you can kill the lift or the power of the kite by sheeting out which in turn is creating less lift. also by riding at the kite which decreases the amount of wind the kite is catching giving you less power. the faster you go down wind the less power there is in the kite. so dont go to fast or to slow. so between that and sheeting out you have 2 ways of managing the power.

The more you do it the more you feel it and the better your timing gets. before you know it you will be on a 4m lit smashing lips.

kenja

Since 19 Jun 2008
179 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jul 12, 14 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

I depower the kite by sheeting out as I come down. Then I sheet in and pull hard on the front hand to whip it around. That stalls your descent and gives you a nice little downwind boost. The windier it is and more overpowered you are, the harder and faster you need to pull to keep from getting thrown too fast downwind. You can pull it earlier and earlier as you get better at it. Eventually you will learn the timing to have buttery smooth landings every time. You should land pointing straight down wind or you will eat shit, especially when overpowered. The size of the jump doesn't matter very much. Once you get it dialed, you won't want to land any other way.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 12, 14 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone
Can't wait till the next day out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: