Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Knives! shoutout to AIRTIME
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Jun 06, 14 11:36 am    Knives! shoutout to AIRTIME Reply with quote

cause the only thing cooler than knives is a bunch of knives

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Apocalypse-Kit_30-000601

I've tried a few styles of safety knives for my harness with limited success :
sheath failing to hold the knive in place
& rust

Bear Claw (really liked the form factor on this one)
http://www.nrs.com/product/2765/crkt-bear-claw-knife
this one fell out of the sheath - plastic snap holder wore - caught it on top of my foot - but lost it later - did also have some issues with rust

Benchmade 5 Safety Cutter
http://www.benchmade.com/products/5
liked that it was super compact - but had issues with rust leaving in its sheath and neglecting to rinse with fresh water - the soft case eventually opened up and it was gone

just got the CKS co-pilot
http://www.rei.com/product/801862/nrs-co-pilot-river-knife
like that it is compact - AIRTIME sewed it on my harness - thanks Casey!
passed the first surf stress test

one note of caution - dudes really like knives - back in my whitewater kayak days i used to have a tekna dive knife on my life jacket with the sheath pointed down
- kook approaches me and tells me the knife will fall out that way
Haven't had any issues
- he yards on my knife and it stays in place
Ummmm
- See how my knife is attached oriented up
sure...
- Check it out
I reach over
- he whips the knife out into my thumb - 30 stitches

knive1.jpeg 
   knife2.jpeg 
   stress test.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 06, 14 2:39 pm     Reply with quote

Great post G-Man! That last pic... talk about fully committed! Shocked

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jun 07, 14 5:25 am     Reply with quote

Is there a hole on the NRS handle so you can run a lanyard?
On my knife, I use steel wool to remove rust buildup, then spray with boeshield T-9 once a month. I like to use a lanyard tied to the handle on my knife.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostSat Jun 07, 14 7:01 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I've thought on a lanyard but nix the idea cause I'm butter fingerz and pale at the thought of a blade swinging around un sheathed in the rinse cycle. But I can see the need...drop that thing during a struggle and it would be the shtzs.

Short of an orthopedic modification of a digit we seem doomed to attachment shenanigans. Pick your poison I guess.

Extra orphaned crab buoys this year in the surf zone...great Crying or Very sad

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Jun 07, 14 7:27 am     Reply with quote

Nice to see that the NRS knife has a bottle opener built into the opposite side from the blade. Best case scenario would be that the opener get used regularly and the blade never gets used at all.

Very Happy

airtimekite

Since 10 Aug 2005
28 Posts
13th and Wasco

PostMon Jun 09, 14 10:48 am     Reply with quote

Why can't I find the "like" button for that surf pic Laughing

It can be really hard to sew anything to a harness because they're built a layer at a time and the finished harness is too thick to sew through. On Gman's we hot knifed just the outermost layer on either side of the webbing and then did a simple Velcro/webbing loop through the sheath and the outer layer of the harness.

If you have a hot knife, or a gas burner and a kitchen knife (when the lady of the house is gone of course), you can do your own harness mod. There are probably a million different ways to attach your sheath to that outer layer. If you come up with a good (or bad) way to do it post a pic or two here for the rest of us to see.

Casey

AIRTIME kite, Inc.
1225 Wasco St.
Suite B
Hood River, OR 97031

T: 541.387.3910

www.airtimekite.com

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 09, 14 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

If a kiter is willing to wear a "impact vest", then, there is a pretty good solution to the knife location problem. I like the Promotion vest for a number of reasons and have found the material easy to stitch on a sheath for each of my TWO hook knives... one large as shown in the picture, and one small (the double bladed DaKine standard line knife). The big one is a substitute for a conventional knife, and can be used to "saw" through a large rope. I do not trust the big hook knife to cut through kiteline... you need a 2 bladed, singe bevel blade knife to cut kiteline, like the DaKine one.

I put the sheath for the DaKine double bladed knife on the vest over my heart, and I put the large hook knife sheath just inside the vest flap... both are easily accessed.

I would like to see a modification to both of these knives, so that they are bright yellow colored and float. I don't like the idea of a lanyard... too many lines to keep track of, already.

Here is a link to the big serrated hook knife:

http://www.scuba.com/shop/display.aspx_id_024264

big hook knife.png 

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jun 10, 14 10:15 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi, that grand daddy of NWkiting, showed me how utterly lame single bladded hook knives work. Since then, I have always carried a double bladed oine. cuts like butter!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 11, 14 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
Pepi, that grand daddy of NWkiting, showed me how utterly lame single bladded hook knives work. Since then, I have always carried a double bladed oine. cuts like butter!!

OH,oh... If you are still carrying one of the 'old' double-bladed hook knives, better check it and look closely at the blades and in particular, at the "bevel or bevels" of the blades. For a year or two, the DaKine knifes came with "double beveled" blades, and the knives were an improvement over the original "single-blade" knives... but were much less effective cutting tools than the newest design that DaKine sells. The newer design uses 2 "single-beveled" blades, whereas, the DaKine first-generation double bladed knives used the same "DOUBLE-beveled" blades that they had previously used in the "single-BLADED" hook knives.

Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a picture that I drew up for the old KF thread:

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2343820

The drawing was meant to caution kiters, who were unscrewing and replacing the blades in their hook knives, and shows 3 wrong ways to do it and only ONE right way (#4). The #4 sketch shows the way the blades should be positioned adjacent to each other to be effective. If double beveled blades are placed adjacent to each other, the problem exists, in that there is a small space, between the bevels, for the kiteline to "jam", and thereby, the line does not get sheared efficiently.

Blade%20Bevel%20problem%20.png 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jun 11, 14 1:17 pm     Reply with quote

i was thinking you might as well carry something that would cut thru a real rope in a situation

if you ever had to cut an anchor line out of a prop/shaft - not an easy proposition even with a really good knife - add current, zero viz & debris - very difficult

definitely a tradeoff of being prepared and over-encumbered with stuff

I like Windian's sentiment Thumb's Up

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 11, 14 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

I think that a good compromise could be a big hook knife, similar to the big yellow one, that would FLOAT, and would have an inset in the crotch of the blade which would contain 2 small, single edge blades (like the new DaKine knives). If such a device existed it probably would be safe enough to put it on a tether, and it would effectively cut kite lines, and it would have the row of serrations, that could be used to "saw" through a big rope. You would need 2 hands to "saw" with the device, but by the time you needed to cut through a big rope, you would probably be on "plan C", and would not be hanging onto the control bar anymore, so both hands would be free to deal with it.

Ideally, it would have "goof-proof" replaceable blades... all for a reasonable price... and of course, a beer bottle opener in the handle.

Once we solve the "knife" problem, we need to invent a rescue device that could be swum out to a buoy, secured to the buoy (yeah, I know, it's against federal/state law), and be used as a 'work station' from which to free up a tangled up a buoy victim. The model that could be used would be that of a "moving water" rescue technique, like you use to free unfortunate kayakers, caught in a "strainer", broached or suffering from "foot entrapment". A SUP with a strong adjustable bowline and a hook to snag on the buoy anchor cable might be something to explore, as a starting idea... used as a platform to pull the victim up onto and begin using the knife to cut ropes and lines.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 11, 14 5:58 pm    Rescue SUP Reply with quote

Maybe an old windsurfer could be used for a rescue surfboard. I'm not sure one would last lying out on the Sandbar all summer, maybe if it was painted to look like a lifeguard's? It sure would have been handy a few weeks ago when I tried to help a lady out at the small white bouy on the end of the Sandbar. She wrapped a line around it and the bar went to the bottom. I retrieved her board and she swam 100m to the Sandbar, but 2 hours later when I left her kite was still out there. I don't know how she and her husband retrieved it.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 12, 14 7:18 am     Reply with quote

I have a bunch of these knives from my scuba diving on all my gear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcGZsfZawY

Single blade replacement so no "confusion" on how its reassembled when replacing blades.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostThu Jun 12, 14 7:35 am     Reply with quote

kitezilla wrote:

Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a picture that I drew up for the old KF thread:

there are actually four variations on single bevel orientation.

in in (being the winner)
in out
out in
out out

and only one is correct. so 25% chance of it being correct. Wink

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 12, 14 7:41 am     Reply with quote

Dwayne,
Have you tested this knife on small lines like kite lines?
Looks too good to be true.

dwaynej wrote:

Single blade replacement so no "confusion" on how its reassembled when replacing blades.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jun 12, 14 8:11 am     Reply with quote

dwaynej wrote:

Winner Thumb's Up

I'm getting that too & harvesting kelp!

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 12, 14 11:03 am     Reply with quote

Dwayne,

Thanks for the "heads-up" on that knife. I just spoke with the guy at Dolphin

http://www.dolphinscuba.com/add-on-gear/dive-knives/trilobite-webbing-mounted.html

and he said that the knife comes with 2 spare blades and that they sell more spares, if needed. The singe blade has the 2 edges on it and is replaced by unscrewing the 2 bolts. They have sold them for a year and a half, but he didn't know how long the manufacturer has been making them... maybe only a couple of years. The blades are stainless steel, and hopefully the little bolts are stainless also.

Dwayne, could you hold a magnet up to the little bolts, and see if it sticks? If it sticks to the bolts, that would mean that the bolts are not stainless, and that they might get so corroded after a while that they could not be unscrewed.

The knife sells for $25 plus about 5 for shiping... reasonable price, IMO.

The video was impressive, but they did not test "spectra" in the small diameter, like kiteline or in the large diameter, like power line.

I would be pleasantly surprised if the Trilobite cut kiteline as efficiently as the 2 bladed DaKine knife... But I am thinking of substituting the Trilobite knife for my big yellow hook knife, as the "go-to" knife for large rope cutting.

I will order one and test it on my hook knife testing gadget.

Here is a picture showing the clever design, where the "notch" would allow a rope to enter and flaten, but probably not do too much damage to a finger.

Screen shot 2014-06-12 at 8.25.18 AM.png 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: