Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Roosevelt Solo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostMon Apr 21, 14 12:12 pm    Roosevelt Solo? Reply with quote

Hello, seeking some advice. Planning a visit to the east gorge for Tues and Wed, and I've read lots of threads, but was wondering if I happened to end up at Roosevelt alone, is there a spot I can self launch? I kind of got the impression there wasn't. I haven't been that far out east sailing.
Alternatively I am flexible, and could go to another area along the river that is more amenable to a solo day, or might have other kiters, really from Rowena to Arlington. I will be camping overnight so that's a consideration too.
Thanks a lot for any help.
George

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 21, 14 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

With westerly winds, there are many of my friends who PREFER to self launch at Roosevelt all times. If you are familiar with the place... there is a cove down-wind (east) of a spit of rock & shrubs. You simply rig up, double check all, cleanly carry all to the water and let the kite gently be driven by the wind towards the east as you walk out deeper & deeper. Once you've got line stretch, and everything is straight... it's just a simple water re-launch.
Some people prefer this even when there's large crowds there at Roosevelt, likely BECAUSE there's a large crowd.
I've been there on Memorial Day when we're launching and going while at the water's edge in this cove it is lined with mothers & toddlers. Oblivious.

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostMon Apr 21, 14 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote, thanks very much. When done, do you drop the board off, then just do a release in the water, or is there a soft landing to drop the kite on land? If you do a water landing/release, any current to pay attention to in there?
Of course if I'm not alone, it won't be an issue.
Other option I see now, is the central coast looks like it may get some kiteable winds for those two days...choices...
Thanks so much again. Have a great week.
George

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 21, 14 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

George,
Also when it's super busy over a holiday weekend many of us prefer to just drop the kite into this cove. Here's what I do: Out on the river, pinch upwind of the rocky point that splits the park, when you're ready, sprint in just missing the east edge of the point (but also be aware of tricky submerged rocks). Once you are past the point it's all flat glassy water that allows you to glide within a few feet of the actual sandy shore. Step off and pull the QR to drop your kite into the water. Bring it in (it'll be in a wind-shadow now), sun dry.
Maybe I should stop in on my drive home from southern Mexico (60 hours south).

Question: Will a 4/3 wetsuit give me troubles around May 1st with cold river temps?
Kip

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 21, 14 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

from past experiences self launching at rooselvelt, I've seen riders try to self launch and don't get their kite up soon enough and they float out to where there is milfoil on the water. not sure if this is a problem anymore or not, but be aware that if there is milfoil, this can really make it challenging to drift launch. from what I remember the cove is pretty shallow so you can stand in the water and drift launch. wind might be light or gusty coming over the spit so body drag out once you get your kite in the air.
kip water should be fine by then. been kiting without booties for the past week now. still a bit cold but warming up a little bit more every day.
if I were thinking about a eastern gorge solo session I might prefer 3 mile over rooselvelt.

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostMon Apr 21, 14 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote and stringy, thank you very much, most excellent advice and will take it all into consideration, including the 3 mile suggestion. Hope it won't be too busy tomorrow and Wed.
Will make the call tonight, after the weather updates, and hope you guys get some smooth wind and buttery waves very soon.
Cheers,
George

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 21, 14 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

Watch out for the goatheads in the grass between the swingset and east to the water. Boottie piercing and bladder popping little bastards! you'll be ok pumping up on the sand between the grass and water then doing a water self launch or tie off to the big log at water's edge, or you could ask a grumpy windsurfer to help. Been kiting solo there all winter,but you won't be alone tomorrow!

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostMon Apr 21, 14 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

Inflictor thanks. Will look forward launching and landing kites for some of the locals! Won't get in the way or snake any swell either, haha.
Will wear thicker soled booties for the little nasties.
Hope to see you on the water!
Cheers,
George

skent

Since 08 Aug 2011
170 Posts
North Bend, WA & Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostMon Apr 21, 14 10:44 pm     Reply with quote

Drift launching from the cove is fairly easy, HOWEVER last summer there was lots of milfoil in the cove which F'ed up several of my drift launches.

CGKA Member

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostThu Apr 24, 14 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

skent, thanks. Trip derailed by snow in the passes, had taken the winters off and poor forecast for Wed, so went to the coast instead and promptly went home with my proverbial tail tucked firmly between my legs.
Hope to get to the east gorge in the next few weeks though.
George

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: