Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

quadcopter / kiting video from seattle.
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostThu Apr 17, 14 11:09 pm     Reply with quote

Quick edit from yesterday! First attempt!
https://vimeo.com/m/92308564

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 17, 14 11:18 pm     Reply with quote

waynepjh wrote:
Quick edit from yesterday! First attempt!

Great job! Really nice framing of kite & rider. I liked that you included the location and a little plug for the video gear used at the end. Thumb's Up

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostFri Apr 18, 14 7:40 am     Reply with quote

Can one of you guys post the weblinks to the ROVs and camera equipment that you are using? I would like to educate myself on this stuff. Awesome videos and aerial perspective!!

Question Question Question

waynepjh

Since 27 Jul 2008
212 Posts
jackson wy
Stoked

PostFri Apr 18, 14 8:11 am     Reply with quote

Here is a link to the quad rotor that I have.
http://team-blacksheep.com/products/product:202

I had it flying stable in gusty 10-25 mph wind and video was very stable. It took me about 2 months to get it together. not an easy project but if I built another one I could do it in a couple days.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostFri Apr 18, 14 10:11 am     Reply with quote

These guys make the frame I use: http://www.getfpv.com/

The gimal I'm using is made by xaircraft and is called a stella 2-axis gimbal. Its made specifically for the Hero 3 and Hero 3+ cameras.

I didn't plug the location i filmed because the day before we rode there, several people expressed concerns about that spot getting easily over crowded and shut down. Out of respect to them I kept the name off the video. Smile

Its also a strong current spot with no real exit strategies down wind if you can't stay up wind. For reference, the day I filmed was by far the most kiters they have ever seen there. Typically its just 2-3 people riding.

Mine quad started as a QAV500 and still sort of resembles one. I've modified it fair amount to suit my needs and to add a gimbal to the front.

Kraemer, I'm flying mostly LOS with a field monitor to help frame shots and maintain orientation. I like the idea of FPV with goggles but I feel like its a lot more risky to fly that way. plus since I wear glasses the goggles seem annoying.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostFri Apr 18, 14 10:18 am     Reply with quote

For those of you interested in getting into flying a quadcopter without breaking the bank. If you don't feel comfortable going through the custom build process I would say this is about the best bang for your buck assuming you already have a Hero 3 camera.

http://www.dronefly.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=P2G-PCK

I have even thought about selling mine to buy that setup just to have something smaller to carry around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: