Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Teaching a 12 year old
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Apr 01, 14 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks John... I may check it out... I have 3 m trainer kite right now but it's too line kite and I don't think 3 m is big enough for any type of meaningful kiting unless in nuking conditions (not kids friendly)

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostTue Apr 01, 14 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

Slingshot makes a 4.5m RPM...

The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 01, 14 9:16 pm    bellmont Reply with quote

just be carefull of the stingrays, one sting and the kids done.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
835 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed Apr 02, 14 9:42 am    Re: bellmont Reply with quote

The minnow wrote:
just be carefull of the stingrays, one sting and the kids done.

Yeah, that is a real concern. I wish there was some way I could protect his feet, but will need to just get him bodydragging ASAP when he hits the water.

I did get him out with the trainer kite and a land board, and he did really well, able to kite back and forth, and transition turns within about a half hour, so he and I were pretty stoked. Then the parking lot police kicked us out. We will be back!

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 02, 14 11:30 am     Reply with quote

Just to clarify beaches in Oregon don't have stingrays right?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Apr 02, 14 11:47 am    Re: bellmont Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
I did get him out with the trainer kite and a land board, and he did really well, able to kite back and forth, and transition turns within about a half hour, so he and I were pretty stoked. Then the parking lot police kicked us out. We will be back!

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up And so it begins. Smile

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 02, 14 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:

nope but they got whiteeeee:-)!!!

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 02, 14 12:07 pm    nope Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:

nope but they got whiteeeee:-)!!!

SD

Since 20 Mar 2012
12 Posts

PostWed Apr 02, 14 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

If you come down to Stinkys in San Diego you can let him body drag in totally flat water. Also the tiny spot is surrounded by beach so you can run downwind and and help as needed or paddle a surfboard behind him. The wind is much lighter than Belmont norms but plenty of days with enough wind for body dragging a child that weight. If you come before the summer camps get going you can avoid crowd problems. If you do come in summer and the kids are out on their boats just wait an hour and they will all be gone. They come out in waves and then are called back for next activity of the day. If you start out on the beach about halfway between the start of the downwind end of the cove and the top he can come downwind and stay away from the experienced kiters on the upwind end. The wind can be swirly but it is light so not a big deal. If he puts the kite in the water and can't relaunch he will drift towards a small "island". It is a pain to pack up kite there and there are some rough spots that can damage the kite. Tell him to just throw his release if he can't relaunch and swim toward downwind beach or don't throw release and at least steer kite toward downwind beach where you can grab the kite.. The normal pattern is beginners trying over and over to relaunch until it is too late and their kite is on the island downwind of them getting roughed up.

No stingrays, no swim zone, no buoys to get out past, no waves, no obstructions, warm water, park on beach just off road

wind is light- can be crowded- has many learners (be careful) sand is not clean- random non-kiters on beach sometimes with dogs or even horses, camp kid and dock on far side in summer (have him drag out halfway and then come back towards you on beach..avoid far side)

Still safer and easier place for a kid because of Belmont rules....but wind and beach are both better at Belmont

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: