Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone getting some this weekend?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Nov 05, 06 8:25 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Alex!

Hey, Tuesday looks like a possibility for you guys, Wednesday looks awesome! (This site is usually optimistic by about 5 knots, in my experience anyways...) Wish I were there. Sad

Nak

Wednesday
 Wednesday  wind_hawaii Wednsday.png 
Tuesday
 Tuesday  wind_hawaii Tuesday.png 

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostMon Nov 06, 06 9:31 am    Got some crazy wind at the Coast. What was I thinking? Reply with quote

Well, decided to head out to Tolovana to check-out the South wind that looked like only about 20-25. So, we get there: rain, wind, bitter-cold, huge-swell....but what the hell lets try-it. So got out on my 7m Waroo, for about twenty minutes and came-in. My buddy went out for about the same...when we got back in....it felt like the wend had picked up to 35+, my Waroo was barely holding its shape, and I thought it might rip in half.
So, we go tot the bar. Only to find on the news the High-Wind warnings on the beach with gusts up to 55+

Good fun, maybe just a little to anxious to get out.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 06, 06 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

Kind of off topic, but the rain and poor wind had me looking for flights. Flights to Hawaii are CHEAP right now - as low as 129$ each way until Dec. 14. Just thought I would pass it on. - C

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostMon Nov 06, 06 9:02 pm     Reply with quote

I'm taking no chances..I'll go to Maui for the day tomorrow!!! It's well worth it...thanks for the graph Nak...if it is windy on Oahu, it'll be nukin' on Maui Smile Smile Smile

a.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Nov 07, 06 8:44 am     Reply with quote

tautologies wrote:
I'm taking no chances..I'll go to Maui for the day tomorrow!!! It's well worth it...thanks for the graph Nak...if it is windy on Oahu, it'll be nukin' on Maui Smile Smile Smile

a.

Alex, Were drowning in rain. Please send some sunny pics to help us!
Thanks
Mark

www.naishkites.com

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostTue Nov 07, 06 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Too bad, it wasn't colder.....1 inch of rain=10 inches of snow.....
hmmm, 4 feet at the mountain would be nice.

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostFri Nov 10, 06 2:21 am     Reply with quote

The wind on Maui was nukin', really. I was sooo powered up on a 9 SLE that it was almost hard to hold on. I could probably have gone on a 6. Extremely gusty though, some jumps you feel really loaded on the kite, you aim throw the kite..and nothing...other jumps were epic...just off a wave, pull the bar, and go forever (It felt like)...I did have a hard time timing them though. not used to that gusty conditions...sorry didn't get to take any pics I was busy working on the blisters in my hands....and I had so much fun that I fucked up, missed the last plane, and after a lot of back and forth and a fortune spent in a cab, I ended up spending the night at the friggin' airport. With my gear...I slept on my new longboard (heavily wrapped)

Were are some of the best places in Oregon to kite? I have a contact that has a cottage on one of the best places to kite...but I cannot remember where it was...but in anycase, I am wondering about bowwowing that plae this spring...hmm, that was a pretty lame question...as I can;t remember were the cottage is...

a.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Nov 10, 06 8:14 am     Reply with quote

tautologies wrote:
The wind on Maui was nukin', really. I was sooo powered up on a 9 SLE that it was almost hard to hold on. I could probably have gone on a 6. Extremely gusty though, some jumps you feel really loaded on the kite, you aim throw the kite..and nothing...other jumps were epic...just off a wave, pull the bar, and go forever (It felt like)...I did have a hard time timing them though. not used to that gusty conditions...sorry didn't get to take any pics I was busy working on the blisters in my hands....and I had so much fun that I fucked up, missed the last plane, and after a lot of back and forth and a fortune spent in a cab, I ended up spending the night at the friggin' airport. With my gear...I slept on my new longboard (heavily wrapped)

Were are some of the best places in Oregon to kite? I have a contact that has a cottage on one of the best places to kite...but I cannot remember where it was...but in anycase, I am wondering about bowwowing that plae this spring...hmm, that was a pretty lame question...as I can;t remember were the cottage is...

a.

Damn sounds like an adventure... you know we get gusty wind like that a lot around here, but usually its a matter of picking the right spot. You can ride rock solid wind at the coast, or even in the Gorge you can usually find spots that are good.

As far as best places that's such a hard question to answer. Of course the Gorge in July is great, tons of wind, lots of spots to checkout. But the Coast is also amazing during the summer. You will probably not be used to the cold water is one thing. For the coast bring at least a 4/3 full wetsuit, and probably booties and hood in case its still too cold for you.

The Gorge has warmer water in the summer, probably the warmest water is in August. By the end of July we are usually in either shorts or shorties.

I'd stay in Hood River for a good part of the time your here, its the happening spot in the summer and there's tons of cool places to eat and drink and listen to music on weekends. Stevenson (Washington) is also cool, though a little quieter. On the coast you got Seaside, or Newport, or way down south Floras Lake (Bandon).

Lots of places to see! Very Happy

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Nov 10, 06 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

sounds like you need to start yourself a hawaii forum. but, different regons definitely seem to have different levels of interest in internet geek forums. a lot of tech companies won't even do research in seattle, PDX, san fran because the people are such unrepresentative tech freaks.

tautologies wrote:

a.

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostFri Nov 10, 06 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

we actually have one, kiteoahu.com but there is not so much traffic. I ended up here to get some advice on my trip this spring....and I am a total nerd, so I came back for more.
Smile

a.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: