Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Building Directional Kiteboard for High-school Project
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
nickdward

Since 11 Aug 2008
130 Posts
Seattle
Stoked

PostThu Oct 17, 13 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Here's some pictures from the 1st board I built ages ago in my parent's garage over college spring break:

Go for it!

Procktor

Since 11 Apr 2013
46 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Oct 17, 13 8:59 am    Re: Dan KAAAAY!! and his Procktologist Reply with quote

airon^ wrote:
Lord knows these 2 don't need more attention, they already thrive on it

I mean, we can all agree to disagree, but lets do so civilly, logically. When these basic social norms are not observed, it would be nice to be able to keep the offending person out of the conversation.

Attacks ad hominen have no place here, nor do politics. Hein could be a neonazi for all I know, but what relevance does that have to the topic at hand? If he has offensive political views, Mason is probably smart enough to have his own opinion.

Too bad we can't boot belligerent folks from the forum.

Dan is just giving the kid a heads up before he ends up having to listen to rush Limbaugh before he can work on his board. Who would send a kid to hand out with a neo nazi?

''If Al Qaeda comes in here and blows you up, we're not going to do anything about it. We're going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco. You want to blow up the Coit Tower? Go ahead.'''

Dan k

Since 31 Mar 2013
87 Posts

PostThu Oct 17, 13 9:10 am    Procktor (#2 PNW wave kiter) rules! Reply with quote

Procktor wrote:
airon^ wrote:
Lord knows these 2 don't need more attention, they already thrive on it

I mean, we can all agree to disagree, but lets do so civilly, logically. When these basic social norms are not observed, it would be nice to be able to keep the offending person out of the conversation.

Attacks ad hominen have no place here, nor do politics. Hein could be a neonazi for all I know, but what relevance does that have to the topic at hand? If he has offensive political views, Mason is probably smart enough to have his own opinion.

Too bad we can't boot belligerent folks from the forum.

Dan is just giving the kid a heads up before he ends up having to listen to rush Limbaugh before he can work on his board. Who would send a kid to hand out with a neo nazi?

I know I wouldn't want my children hanging around such individuals.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 17, 13 9:13 am    . Reply with quote

sorry, lost my cool for a second.

Mason, keep us posted on your board building progress.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Last edited by Jonpnw on Thu Oct 17, 13 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Dan k

Since 31 Mar 2013
87 Posts

PostThu Oct 17, 13 9:18 am    Look in da mirror Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
Way to ruin such a cool thread. Here is a kid in high school stoked on building a kite board and you two f$#kers go and throw this off the deep end.

I hope you run into a wall today.

only ones goin off the deep end are you and airon. Laughing

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Oct 17, 13 10:05 am     Reply with quote

Mason,

I was looking around at some software you might be able to use. I tried boardcad (http://www.boardcad.com/news.php) which can export 3D surfaces (in iges format) for downstream applications like CNC. Another option would be Rhino3D because they offer a 20 save trial version. Solidworks is probably the most prolific mechanical CAD software and I believe they offer a student version. The latter two are full blown CAD systems so the learning curve will be steep. But the experience will be worthwhile for an engineer in training. You can shape a board in Sketchup but last I checked it could not export nurbs surfaces so you would not be able to get your design machined.

Good luck,
Hein

Mason

Since 15 Oct 2013
16 Posts

PostThu Oct 17, 13 3:27 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry I took a little while to reply, between high-school/college classes and homework I haven't been checking much for a day or so. I will keep you guys updated, thanks for the posts!

nickdward - Thanks so much for the post! It will be extremely useful for getting me started.

Quote:
To make it easy, I would stick to a blank built for kiteboarding. There are specialty blanks that work better than surfboard blanks.

I have heard conflicted reports on that. Some people are saying that a surfboard blank would be fine, just use more glass. What are the main differences between the two?

Quote:

Don't forget John Doyle,

I contacted him over a month ago via email, so far no reply. I have also called a few times, no answer. I will keep trying periodically, but reaching him may be difficult.

Quote:
Agreed. If the point of the project is to learn engineering skills, then you might want to focus more on the 3-D design process with the computer.

The project doesn't necessarily have to be directly related to engineering, I am not even sure if that is the field I would like to go into, I haven't decided yet. I would like to investigate more into using CADs, the project is due in mid December, so I am not sure if I have time to learn how to learn a CAD with my current schedule.
(EA project link: http://www.hoodriver.k12.or.us/domain/106)

Quote:
Mason, keep us posted on your board building progress.

Will do!

Quote:
Mason,

I was looking around at some software you might be able to use. I tried boardcad (http://www.boardcad.com/news.php) which can export 3D surfaces (in iges format) for downstream applications like CNC. Another option would be Rhino3D because they offer a 20 save trial version. Solidworks is probably the most prolific mechanical CAD software and I believe they offer a student version. The latter two are full blown CAD systems so the learning curve will be steep. But the experience will be worthwhile for an engineer in training. You can shape a board in Sketchup but last I checked it could not export nurbs surfaces so you would not be able to get your design machined.

Good luck,
Hein

I am not sure if I have the time to learn how to use a CAD to that level, how long would you guess it would take? I could always torrent a CAD if it is easy enough to learn, and if the exporting would be a problem.

Quote:

Thanks for the warning, as long as he accepts my political views, I would respect his, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks everyone for the posts, there is a ton of useful information in here to get me started. I will keep you guys updated, and hopefully my board ends up working and looking great!

Dan k

Since 31 Mar 2013
87 Posts

PostThu Oct 17, 13 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

Your welcome kid. Have fun!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 17, 13 5:38 pm    Cool Reply with quote

Mason Rules !

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 18, 13 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Mason
Mason

Nickward has a nice fiberglass lay up for his board. Choosing a blank with a kiteboard like rocker line will save you a lot of adjustments when shaping. The less you shave off the bottom the better off you are. You might think about asking around for a defective/ damaged blank from one of local shapers to practice on. I have seen them in there shops. One thing that has not come up here is safety. Wear goggles and face mask to filter fumes. If you can smell it, you are already over the safety limits. You must wear protect gear when glassing (gloves). Epoxy in particular can cause hypersensitivity. Many a good gorge board builder has had to quit the business due to allergenic reactions to epoxy. Most of the home builders have no clue about this. Working with Doug the former owner of fiberglass supply and seeing board builders slowly disappear in the gorge from it gave me a healthy respect for epoxy hypersensitivity. You can easily work with epoxy, just stay protected. Now this project is not just about building a board it is about learning a process to manufacture a product safely and that is what some engineers do.

Anthony

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 18, 13 8:34 am    what about starting with an old windsurf board Reply with quote

I wonder if those old Windsurf boards I see the CGWA basically giving away can be cut down into a new kiteboard ?? The last swap meet there was a pile of them for free. There must be hundreds of old unwanted boards in town.

Mason

Since 15 Oct 2013
16 Posts

PostFri Oct 18, 13 8:39 am     Reply with quote

I decided to go with polyester resin and catalyst over epoxy due to it being significantly cheaper. Thanks for the safety tips!

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 18, 13 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

Mason wrote:
I decided to go with polyester resin and catalyst over epoxy due to it being significantly cheaper. Thanks for the safety tips!

Back in the 90s I shaped a surfboard in my garage after watching these videos on VHS:

Shaping:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/2CLvCow6Rjg[/youtube]
Glassing:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/ozsjvQ3G5C0[/youtube]

I haven't watched it since, but I expect it's mostly relevant, though you'd want thicker glass and fin inserts as per Nick. Good luck

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 18, 13 6:05 pm     Reply with quote

Anthony wrote:
Now this project is not just about building a board it is about learning a process to manufacture a product safely and that is what some engineers do.

Anthony

that is great advice.

good luck mason with your project.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun Oct 20, 13 8:19 am     Reply with quote

Link

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Oct 23, 13 7:17 am     Reply with quote

+1 on boardcad. Akushaper is good too though may not still be free. Shape3D lite is cool too.
Check out the grainsurf forum for a wealth of information and inspiration:
http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 23, 13 11:45 am     Reply with quote

I'm no engineer, but I know in order to be one your most likely going to want to know CAD or some sort of 3d modeling software, especially if you are going to be building things. Believe me, start learning now, if your interested in that kind of stuff, it will be really fun to learn as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: