Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Biggest kite loop ever
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Nov 02, 06 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

...And when you install Quicktime, before the initial startup (or you can do it after--it's just more work), double check to ensure that its setup to accept an .MP4 "file type". It should be the default, but if you turn off stuff so that Quicktime isn't your primary music/video player, then that's when you'll want to check.

P.S. - Though their quality is better than the average Window Media Video (not necessarily compared to the file size though), I hate Quicktime movies for this reason. These fuckers need to figure out that we're not running a 720p on our iPods and start rendering shit to .WMV...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Nov 02, 06 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

Got it to work.

I may get a serious lashing for this, but why is that kite loop considered so huge? I've seen guys loop there kite like that before, or at least I thought I have.

Is it his height ff the water or the large radius of the kite arc that people are in awe of?

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostThu Nov 02, 06 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

whatchu talkin bout willis?!? the height and power of that loop are both bigger than i have ever seen anyone go.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Nov 02, 06 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

I dunno, I guess I ws jsut expecting something more dramatic.

I opened the file with a co-worker in the room and he said "is that it?"

All I could say was, "dude, that was huge"

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Nov 02, 06 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

40-50ft off the water with your kite out horizontally in front of you, flying 30mph downwind, then landing... I think that's good enough! Very Happy

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Nov 02, 06 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

Careful,

I still monitor the scene...

Regards Lads, if they only knew what da Gorge was like...

Rock-on Dano
fo

Onad Rednaxela wrote:
One WORD…. TWO Syllables…

LEN-TEN

That is F’N Huge.. Shocked

Long Live the 'C'

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Nov 02, 06 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

Its the biggest loop I have ever seen (video or otherwise)

you have to take into account not only the height of the jump but how horizontal he gets with the kite...

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostThu Nov 02, 06 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
Got it to work.

I may get a serious lashing for this, but why is that kite loop considered so huge? I've seen guys loop there kite like that before, or at least I thought I have.

Is it his height ff the water or the large radius of the kite arc that people are in awe of?

I agree, the height is freaking ridiculous, and the radius of the loop is big, aka Len10 kicks ass. But, we also have to give props to guys that were looping the kite underneath them since back in the day (about 2 years ago?) Is there an official way to rate the awesomeness of a kiteloop? Some formula that combines jump height, loop radius, and lowest point the kite hits relative to person?

Also, does Ruben ever ride flat kites? I don't think I've ever seen him on one...

It would seem that C kites rule...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Nov 02, 06 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

genek wrote:
pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
Got it to work.

I agree, the height is freaking ridiculous, and the radius of the loop is big, aka Len10 kicks ass. But, we also have to give props to guys that were looping the kite underneath them since back in the day (about 2 years ago?) Is there an official way to rate the awesomeness of a kiteloop? Some formula that combines jump height, loop radius, and lowest point the kite hits relative to person?

That is what I was (trying) to get at. how do you compare kite loops? I saw a video of a guy who was 20 some feet in the air and he looped his kite and it was about 10 under him and just about scraped the water. I was blown away for sure.

Reuban is still the man (or boy) though. I would try that shit but unfortunately my bones have already fully calcified. LOL

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Nov 02, 06 4:22 pm     Reply with quote

You mean like this? Bertrand at the Gorge Games couple years back:

- big no doubt
- he's unhooked, big bonus points there

two things though that I say Ruben's is bigger: he's jumping higher, and he's using longer lines (though still only 20m). shorter lines make getting over the kite possible...

Btw, that photo of Bertrand is pretty much my fav photo in kiting.

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostThu Nov 02, 06 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

Some folks can knock it down all they want but that was not only huge but it had a big commitment factor as well but the skill in the whole manuver was how smooth he stuck it! Give the kid some credit guys! He does rock the scene and if you have ever watched him ride he throws down 3 or 4 a reach and sticks 95% or better a sesh! Pretty good skillz if you ask me. I admit I have seen a bigger kite-loop than that but the guy punched in so hard he almost went to the hospital. Shocked Those with balz can throw big but can they come out riding? Wink

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Nov 02, 06 4:30 pm     Reply with quote

Ruben said on the last ASNews podcast that he just rides the Fuels because they give him the power he wants and needs, etc... He says the Link is cool for waves (because you can shut the kite off), but he's not super into that, at least right now.

And as far as Bertrand's photo that Phil posted... Yea those kiteloops are insane, but I personally don't like the style in them. They look too much like a rag doll just getting tossed. I mean, Ruben does too, but not so much like people do on ultra short lines (makes your body whip).

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostThu Nov 02, 06 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

Now that we have seen ruben's loop.

Now lets see everyones else's looper. I'll start off with me. Twisted Evil

Shymac iii.jpg 

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostThu Nov 02, 06 4:38 pm     Reply with quote

He gets all the credit he can handle. I've seen Ruben ride and he's sick no doubt. I think we are just debating the ranking mechanism for kiteloops. And, who cares if someone's thrown a bigger kiteloop, that doesn't change how sweet Ruben's was.

I think the real problem here is that we're all in withdrawal and need to get some kiting in before we go crazy. Just have to hold out til Baja in December and pray for wind Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: