Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

06 Slingshot 17.5 Machine-Lightwind Boards
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Oct 30, 06 9:06 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, I often take my 20 meter out when its blowing in the 20's. Rolling Eyes

If you don't believe me, then just come out to stevenson some time. I'm the guy with the 20meter machine who's riding a 2 foot long hemlock 2 x 6.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 30, 06 9:19 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Sweet board...Now thats what I'm talking about....
Bettyboarder - what was your estimated time of construction...?
I'm already thinking about heading out to Home depot...

Tony,

It took like 2 hours to cut and sand the board. Then I put a coat of varnish let it dry for a day and then I put another coat on it and let it dry. I did a crapy job on my varnish and did not let it dry enough the first time so it bubbled. Total time was like 4 days. Good luck with your board post some picts when it done.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 30, 06 10:30 am     Reply with quote

Thanks BettyBoarder....
I'm gonna try it...For the most part, I'm not looking to become an expert in board making...I'm just looking to maybe go to Home Depot, pull a sheet of ply off the rack - pay a few bucks - take it home - cut it - sand it -and water proof it...It may not be the best board on the water...But the way I see, it kinda keeps me busy at home...Something to do besides setting around the house and watching TV...

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 30, 06 10:40 am     Reply with quote

magicmaker wrote:
well, i hate to be pessmistic, but isn't a 17.5m kite rather small for a 190lbs person?

20.5 machine (i weigh 165lbs) and my SRT 5'11". This is a great combo for 10-15mph wind, but i've also had my 20.5 out when it was gusting up to 21mp. If it is real light wind (8-10mph) i would probably use my glide.

(20.5 machine and you weigh 165lbs) MagicM...PKH has a good question...Where do you ride..?
MM, I'm almost pushing 195 and generally ride my 18 naish (mid-aspect)at Sauvies Island, in Portland - a light wind beach...When wind gets up over 15, I get lit...And I'm on a 132 SX...
Just curious...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 30, 06 10:59 am     Reply with quote

I think the best thing about the ply board is the look on people's faces when you pull it out. It helps if you yell like a redneck and say:

"Cheek out my magik stik boys and girls! I'm about to terrr up this here waa-wa!"

Then haul ass away upwind and wave to the big-kite-small-boarders on the beach and downwind. Very Happy

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 30, 06 11:14 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
I think the best thing about the ply board is the look on people's faces when you pull it out. It helps if you yell like a redneck and say:

"Cheek out my magik stik boys and girls! I'm about to terrr up this here waa-wa!"

Then haul ass away upwind and wave to the big-kite-small-boarders on the beach and downwind. Very Happy

I agree PKH...
Best I saddle up - get me here some wood and get-rrr-done... Laughing

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 30, 06 11:36 am    the spit in HR be my home spot Reply with quote

i ride the gorge, mostly the spit. The spit is the only plce i've ever ridden my machine.

Oh yea, and i'm fully lit up when the 21mph gusts hit and im on my machine, but like someone said in a previous post, just pull in and cleat down your fifth line and sheet your bar out, and hte kite will spill wind off the trailing edge. it's a fucking awesome kite. Of course, i'll also be out on my 11m fuel (getting shit from people) when it gusts up to 30mph; what can i say, i like being lit up. Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 30, 06 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

20m kite at the spit! Shocked

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 30, 06 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
20m kite at the spit! Shocked

yeap, i took that kite out 3 times this summer. 4 if i count the one sunday i got skunked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: