Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting trip advice for mid December (Baja vs. SPI)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostSun Oct 15, 06 12:00 pm    Kiting trip advice for mid December (Baja vs. SPI) Reply with quote

So I'm planning a little winter getaway on Dec. 15-24th, and am trying to decide between Baja's Los Barriles (or maybe La Ventana) and South Padre Island. I remember Phil mentioning something about not going to SPI after November, but based on the charts and other info I could find it seems there's still some wind there, just not as warm and friendly, which I don't mind. Baja on the other hand can be on or off depending on which week you're there, and actually costs a bit more.

Please share if you have some advice. Which place has highest chance of providing wind and which place has the best riding?

Thanks a lot.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Oct 15, 06 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

baja in the winter
spi in the spring (after spring bread)

jimmi

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSun Oct 15, 06 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

Baja:
El Norte winds, fresh lobster, fish, being in Mexico, surf on the Pacific side, cordon cactus, warm weather, friendly people, sunrises over the Sea of Cortez. Honestly, I've never been to SPI, but I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to hit Los Barriles/La Ventana again. We took our two kids with all our camping gear down there in December of 2001.

When we were there, Los Barriles had way better camping, although we did about 4 nights of "luxury camping" at Captain Kirks for 30 bucks a night. I think you could rent their little trailer cabinas for about 60. Really nice place, and nice people. At the time I didn't want to kite out of there cause of the bluffs and assisted launch necessity. Its probably a lot easier now with better equipment and more people around that know what they're doing. The fenced compound camping closer to Baja Joes looked like my idea of a nightmare. If you've got the bucks, Baja Joes was the place to be.

There was a campground at Barriles on the north end of town, that was great for about 5 bucks a night. Owned by Canadians. Kite right out front. Great times - learning to kite on the old Naish AR 3.5 converted to 4-line, and a couple of new 2001 Fuels.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Oct 15, 06 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

For December the timing would favor Baja... SPI can be cold, foggy, rainy that time of year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: