Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Friday...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 13, 06 8:50 am    Friday... Reply with quote

Is jones beach trying to go, or is it a tease?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 13, 06 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

So I was heading to Jones beach today, and as I was passing through Woodland I noticed all the flags waving like crazy. WTF? All the sensors reading about nil. (10:30 AM?) I swung over to dike road and it's blowing like WNW 15 - 20 on the river. Very Happy I got about an hour of riding in before it went all fluky on me. This happened just after the light fog, low cloud layer, burned off. I think the combo of foggy river and sunny portland was creating a local pressure differential. As the fog was warmed by the sun, the local pressure went up... Anyway, that's just a guess. Bottom line is--for future reference-- these kind of conditions might mean good wind at Woodland until the low clouds burn off.

Nak

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Oct 13, 06 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah there was alot of funky wind and fog. I made it to Jones. Wind was light. It would build from 5mph to 18 then fall back off. I sat and looked for awhile and finally gave up. The temp was 52. The temp back at kalama woodland was 72. The temp in Beaverton was 78.

The fog was definatly contributing to the funk.

www.naishkites.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 13, 06 6:08 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Mark!

What time did you get there, and when did you leave? Was it cloudy? It looked good on Ikitesurf. I guess I made the right call. That's unusual!

What was wierd at Woodland is that just a few hundred hards upriver it seemed to stay solid after the launch went fluky. It was solid whitecap up there. (I was at the launch furthest North.) I packed up to try Kalama, but it was fluky as well. Same deal as you both places, wind up 15 - 18 then down to 5 or 6 for a while.

The other wierd thing is that the trees at the woodland launch looked like the wind was pretty constant above 50 - 60 feet high. I was using 20m lines, I wonder if 27m lines might have allowed me to tap into the constant wind?

Nak

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostFri Oct 13, 06 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

missed you at jones mark. showed up at about 230 or 3 and stayed til dark. it was definitely flukey. was good on a 14 or 16 or a 12m with a glide or surfboard. rollo and gman showed up and did pretty good with the glide and surfboard. i was bummed b/c i didn't pack my skim for my 11m. better than working anyway.

it's getting frickin cold out there. time to break out the booties.

rollo did you put up your 16 before dark??

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Oct 14, 06 7:10 am     Reply with quote

I heard Rollo has a red kite that says "9m" but is actually a 20m.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSat Oct 14, 06 7:27 am     Reply with quote

I gave my 122sx a try but that wasn't working with the 12 waroo - but the $50 magic surfboard came through. Super pukey until you got to the washington side and then it was perfect - next time I'll have to strap the small board to my back and switch off at the island. Was amazed Rollo was making it work on his 9 - crazy light wind powers.

Get a bit nervous when the wind drops for a bit - its looonnggg way back.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Oct 14, 06 9:52 am     Reply with quote

mmmmm friday was a treat.......... 122 in light wind?? hmmmmm.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSun Oct 15, 06 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Hey Mark!

What time did you get there, and when did you leave? Was it cloudy? It looked good on Ikitesurf. I guess I made the right call. That's unusual!

What was wierd at Woodland is that just a few hundred hards upriver it seemed to stay solid after the launch went fluky. It was solid whitecap up there. (I was at the launch furthest North.) I packed up to try Kalama, but it was fluky as well. Same deal as you both places, wind up 15 - 18 then down to 5 or 6 for a while.

The other wierd thing is that the trees at the woodland launch looked like the wind was pretty constant above 50 - 60 feet high. I was using 20m lines, I wonder if 27m lines might have allowed me to tap into the constant wind?

Nak

I got to Jones around 12:45 stayed to 1:30. I noticed the trees up high at woodland moving pretty strong as well.

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: