Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waroo or Warpoo?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 06, 06 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

azazello wrote:
Pull both back lines in and it'll reverse launch. No need to swim.

I've actually not had much luck this this technique on my 14m. Maybe I need to pull the rear lines even more. I swim toward the kite and get it on it's back, then pull one line to get it on it's side, standard stuff here.

Once it's on it's side you can coax the kite to come up by yanking on both front lines at once. This also works if the kite falls over from it's side where it's laying on it's back in the water with the leading edge facing up.

I have noticed that the kite doesn't like to relaunch when it's blowing 8 knots... But it is 8 knots...

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 06, 06 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

right, the reverse relaunch of one or both wingtips doesn't really work unless it's fairly windy. this seems different from other bows. i have seen a total beginner repeatedly relaunch a turbo diesel by pulling one rear line in like 8-10kts. i couldn't believe it. you usually don't really need to swim much at the kite--you just sheet out as much as possible and this pulls from the LE and allows it to rotate. if you need to swim much you are sheeted in too much or trim is too tight--makes a huge difference. it's like a 5th line.

i'm much more worried about the kite and bridles tangling or LE twisting than i am about normal relaunch problems.

someone posted this on the seattle forum:

Last weekend I spent some time with a beginner trying to help him relaunch his 14m in very light winds. The typical sheet out and pull one rear line wasn't working with the wind light and the kite dead down wind. Joaquin came over and showed us a nice relaunch trick. I thought I would share.

When the kite is dead downwind, leading edge down, pull on one back line to edge the kite to the side of the window. Let go of the back line and immediately pull a handfull of rear line from the other side. The kite will skip accross the water catch and end up on it's side. From there you can work it to the side and relaunch or better yet turn it leading edge up. Grab the front lines and hot launch! [Twisted Evil]

This worked great and all three of us dropped our kites and relaunched them numerous times with no effort. Cool

Warning: when hot launching make sure you have a safe buffer for body dragging and hold onto the front lines (sheeter line) until the kite is overhead. Releasing the kite early will power up the kite more than necessary.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 09, 06 12:22 pm    Re: mebbe not Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:
the 14 warhoop doesn't quite have the lowend I would have liked to see P.J.C was on his hooper 14 yesterday and I was on my 16 X-4 and he was walkin,good to see the old beater (comeplety bagged out) has a purpose as I didn't order big hoopers

seemed to work pretty good yesterday with that board you made for registered's wedding. me on a 14 and registered on a 17. you don't need some monster float but that 130 is too small for it.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 09, 06 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

pjc - why did you dig up this old thread. Razz

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 09, 06 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

finally got some decent light wind action out of my 14m. stoked the kite wasn't a waste of $$. this thread is about the 14. i shared the stoke here. i guess i'm some kind of nut.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostMon Oct 09, 06 2:47 pm    he 's rulin Reply with quote

P.J.C. Shocked
has been having his way lately and wants to rub some noses in it Cool
OK Arrow
I sold the old bagger(X-4) and now the 12.0 Waroo is my Biggest kite Wink

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostMon Oct 09, 06 11:51 pm     Reply with quote

hey, I saw your post, and I can give the rundown as I see it. I agree with an above poster that the kites seems unstable at higher wind. This is partly by experience, and partly by observation. I could easily ride my 14 Torch 3 when guys on 12 and 14 waroos had problems keeping them stable. I rode my 9 waroo in gusty Maui winds, and it really required a lot of attention compared to the boxer sle and shockwave. Although it also reqires attention I think even the 14 EH rippher is better than the waroo.

I think the waroo flaps too much and it seems way more nervous than many other SLE's. It also requitres a lot more attention than many other kites. I bought the 9 in June, but after I rode the boxer SLE I felt that it was a way better kite. All in all the boxer wasn't that much more expensive...and I think you get a lot more kite for the cash. It does matter...

In relation to inversions and things that can break...I think all flat kites are equally good (in the surf), but some SLE kites are more equal than others (re-wrtten quote form animal farm)....but really there is a huge difference on how the different kites are built, their propensity to invert and have lines break...some kites are just better built than others. From what I have seen so far, I think Takoon and Naish is the better built ones. If you have a look at for instance the bridles of the EH and Best there is a difference compared to the takoon ones. Same goes for stiching and those small things...There is also a difference on how they work in the surf.. I also think holding on a c-kite for ligher winds is good, and then have a 9 and 12 SLE for the waves...I still have not ridden a c-kite that afford me the amount of freedom that an SLE will in the waves......

alex

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Oct 10, 06 6:59 am     Reply with quote

there's an easy fix to a deforming, unstable, flapping waroo: sheet in.

I had my 9m out the other day in overpowered crazy gusty wind (if you were out on sunday at the sandbar you know what I am talking about.) The kite remained uber stable as long as I kept it sheeted in. Of course this isn't super intuitive, normally you'd be sheeting out in overpowering winds.

But everyone who has rode a kite in overpowering winds knows there is a limit to how much it can be depowered, C kite or Bow alike. For Waroos, the sheeting range is much smaller than on other bows. But its all stuff you have to take into considerations with other attributes of the kite... I know for instance a 9m Crossbow can go out in more wind and stay more stable with more depower than a 9m Waroo, but I still prefer the Waroo.

Its just my preference, YRMV.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Oct 10, 06 7:06 am     Reply with quote

this all is about the 06 14 wich I have and I agree it is not even close to the 9. But has anyone tried the 07 13 or 15 to compare to last years 14.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: