Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting in South England - Hayling Island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 10, 06 2:34 am    Kiting in South England - Hayling Island Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

Just thought I'd fill you guys in on a great spot here in Southern England if you ever make it over here.

I've been in England since Sept 17th and I'll be coming back to Portland tomorrow. I'm glad to be home just in time for winter to start and I'm hoping to get another gorge or coast session in before all the wind stops.

I brought all my gear over in one of those new Dakine Airwagon bags (160cm). The bag weighed 67 lbs and cost my company 127 USD as my third bag. I love extended business travel policies. Smile The bag was excellent, easy to move around, and I had room to spare for bringing home useless English crap.

While I was here I kited at Hayling Island. (There is more information on kitebeaches.com and I'd link to it but kiteforum is having some problems right now) This place is very much like Wildcat down in Corpus Christi, Texas (I'm from San Antonio Originally) if you've ever kited there and has a mix of Jetty Island just north of Seattle. There is can be a tide difference of between 3 to 5 meters and an enormous sand bar. This leads to a large variety of conditions and everyday is a surprise.

One day the low tide was at 3pm at a depth of 1 meter. This incredibly low tide rolling out made the water glass smooth and about 6 inches deep in some places and about 1 foot deep in others. This coupled with a smooth SE 15 mph wind meant all the 14m Waroo unhooking I could handle. I pretty much just road around unhooked for the fun of it. My arms were useless by the end.

The next weekend the low tide was 2 meters and about 10 Am with a smooth SW 30 mph wind. This meant 7m waroo and large swell and waves breaking onto the sandbar. Road 3 to 5 foot slow breaking waves about 500 yards off shore where the sandbar stopped and the water got deeper.

Other days were spent practicing unhooked backrolls and eating shit trying my first F16s. I suck, but the conditions where perfect for trying new tricks.

The temperature of the water was about 55 degrees and the air temperature was around 60 to 65 degrees.

The only thing I didn't like about this spot is the beach at high tide is mostly small, smooth, rounded rocks that really hurt your feet when you have to lean against a kite pulling on you.

If you ever get a chance to make it out to London or Southern England, this is the spot to ride. It's very accessible and everyone was very friendly. I'm working 2 weeks in England every 2 to 3 months so I'll be kiting here quite often and might even become considered a local. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: