Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Knee Brace Thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Bgq007

PostSat Sep 08, 12 2:58 pm    Knee Brace Thoughts Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I thought I would ask here because we are all into the same things and I figure someone out there might have some experience/expertise in this area. I have a knee that is sometimes troublesome. Nothing ever torn or seriously hurt, just gets sore and tender. Probably from repeated wear and tear.

So, I am wondering what people might recommend for a brace that is going to be ok in salt water and is inexpensive. I don't want to be paying a fortune for a brace.

Thanks in advance.

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 08, 12 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Those ace neoprene ones at Walgreens with the little donut hole that goes over ur knee cap are pretty good. Buy one a little bigger if u want it over the wetsuit.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Sep 08, 12 4:04 pm     Reply with quote

don't try to save money on a brace, even an expensive one is WAY cheaper than surgery. if you think you need one, you need a good one. IMO.

nealm

Since 19 Jul 2012
41 Posts
North Coast/White Salmon

PostSat Sep 08, 12 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not sure that a brace is going to help if your knees are stable but are just getting sore, knee braces (at least the expensive ones) are more for protection against joint instability. I've had surgery on both of my knees from torn acl and meniscus from other sports. Wore a brace in the past but not any more. Knees are still tender after long sessions in the chop but that's about it... I've never thought the neoprene braces did much of anything, and even the expensive fitted braces slip out of place when used in the water.

kenja

Since 19 Jun 2008
179 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Sep 08, 12 6:18 pm     Reply with quote

My knee surgeon told me that knee braces are not statistically shown to help prevent injuries. They give you a false sense of security. Save your money and buy a new board instead. The neoprene ones may provide a little comfort, though. Even better, get a gym membership and strengthen your leg muscles. That does actually help prevent injuries.

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostSat Sep 08, 12 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

What others said about knee braces' lack of effectiveness, with two exceptions. A good brace can save you knee if struck on the side. Don't think that is an issue kiting. The other is if the problem is a floating kneecap that is causing the soreness, then a brace that locates the kneecap may help. But chances are an off the shelf one will locate the kneecap in the wrong place.

Where a cheap neoprene "brace" can help is just keeping your knee warm.

My advice: physical therapist to learn how to strengthen your stabilizing muscles evenly, IB before the session, keep it warm during the session, ice it after, and more IB. And get a mako to for the smoothest ride you can get, and make sure you have nice cushy footpads. Above all, listen to your knee when it tells you your session is over, its not kidding, its time to call it a day.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostSun Sep 09, 12 8:22 am     Reply with quote

CTI

Hey are a couple hundred buck

bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 09, 12 10:36 am     Reply with quote

A lot of shade tree doctors here I think. Trust me, properly fitted knee braces will definitely help with stability and help prevent injury! If not, these guys would be out of business and I would be a cripple by now!

When you hit the water from a very powered move, your knee can hyper-extend in a blink of an eye. Ripping the meniscus and putting un-needed pressure on the ligaments. You put a set of these on and it's time for a throw down session!

Go with full shell model!

http://www.townsenddesign.com/Townsend_Design/Ligament_Bracing.html

Transcend Apparel http://www.transcendapparel.com/
Urban Surf http://www.urbansurf.com/
Alohabrothers Racing Oahu, HI

jmmorford

Since 26 Oct 2009
21 Posts

PostMon Sep 10, 12 7:23 am     Reply with quote

I can't see how a brace is going to help much with knee pain from a typical day of kiting. If your knees are sore from a session without some major accident, you are going to be better off seeing a PT for advice on strengthening. I've been through 6 knee surgeries over 30 years. Once structural repairs are done, nothing works like strength to manage chronic pain.

If you have an torn ligament, the proper brace for the injury can help protect it during healing and reduce risk of reinjury. But it you don't have an existing sprain, there is no point.

As suggested above, get a board that soaks up the chop. Mako has been wonderful for me.

kenja

Since 19 Jun 2008
179 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Sep 10, 12 9:27 am     Reply with quote

If you convince yourself, you need one and that it will somehow help you, this is the best, most cost effective one I found when doing my research. It's got the same technology as the custom models, but is designed for motorcross and is way more cost effective. You can buy them as pairs or as singles. They're designed to be wet, too.

http://www.asterisk.com/buy/protection/ultra-cell-knee-protection-system.html

I had two ACL replacements back in the 80's and had custom (read very expensive) braces made for each knee as part of that. The braces were very uncomfortable and I ultimately stopped using them.

When I had my 3rd surgery in 2006, I figured I'd better get a new brace, but like I said, the surgeon (same guy who prescribed the other braces), says the data collected shows they do not prevent re-injuries and recommended I not buy one. He's one of the pioneers of the hamstring ACL replacement, so definitely not a "shade tree doctor".

I would guess your problem has more to do with the wear of the cartilage on your joint and possibly arthritis (which I suffer from as well). Knee braces do absolutely nothing to help with that. A couple Ibuprofens and trying not to abuse your knees in chop will go a lot further than anything else.

JOJO

Since 12 Mar 2008
91 Posts
PDX

PostMon Sep 10, 12 10:04 pm    knee braces Reply with quote

Hey,

Had trouble with unevenly worn cartilage (however you spell this) and used a manufacturer that is very popular in Germany, Bauerfeind. Not cheap, but worked for me, got rid of my pain in my knees. If you use them too often they say your tenants may get weaker since they are not challenged anymore, I use them for high knee impact sports, such as kiting and snowboarding.
Hope this helps, J.

http://www.braceability.com/brand/bauerfeind-supports-genutrain-knee-braces-back-supports-ankle-braces?conditions_knee=157

JOJO

Since 12 Mar 2008
91 Posts
PDX

PostMon Sep 10, 12 10:10 pm    knee braces Reply with quote

...need to add that I use them to keep my knee disc alligned since tenants wanted to pull it off center. Used them for years with good success.

But as it is said above, the very best you can do is to stretch regularly and do low impact exercise such as riding yoru bicycle or go swimming.

menalieg

Since 27 Feb 2019
1 Posts
Kenya

PostSun Mar 03, 19 6:22 am    Re:Knee Brace Reply with quote

I am pretty sure you can find a good, cheap knee brace on Amazon. Just find one that has many positive reviews and is within your budget and you're good to go!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Mar 03, 19 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure he’s figured it out after 7 years...

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Mar 03, 19 6:53 pm     Reply with quote

For me Neoprene does wonders on my joints.

I don't wear neoprene braces much while kiting. Only when my knee(s) acts up. I always wear neoprene braces on my knees when participating in any sporting activities on hard surfaces.

Try them. They are cheap. If they don't help, don't use them. I'm pretty sure they wont make things worse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: